FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Storm Ciarán - impact on BA operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2139863-storm-ciaran-impact-ba-operations.html)

PETER01 Oct 31, 2023 11:26 am

Not sure where the original phrase came from however it was a catchy phrase and became suitable for companies to improve productivity.;)

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kd-E-XGBy...40/Badger1.gif

T8191 Oct 31, 2023 11:28 am

Deffo staying indoors on Thursday. A quick run into Town tomorrow morning for iWife’s hairdressing appointment, and then batten down the hatches. Hoping I don’t have another tree come down: next door has just had a massive timber clearance so they should be OK!

DaveS Oct 31, 2023 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Upupintheair (Post 35708180)
I wonder if Eurostar would be an alternative to get to mainland Europe or would the trains also be significantly impacted by the storm? Have a flight Thursday evening LHR-AMS and looking for alternatives.

I suspect you would need to book quickly, you wont be the only one looking at this. Eurostar is usually OK, but things can go south if a shed lands on the line.

Kgmm77 Oct 31, 2023 11:49 am

Originally Posted by quickben (Post 35708327)
Not looking good in the 5B lounge….. and Ciaran still a day away.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a64741ad1.jpeg

The theme for the new decor has already changed from forest to rainforest….

lgladdy Oct 31, 2023 12:31 pm

Realised that because my flight out to Edinburgh was cancelled last weekend, my booking won't let me amend online to proactively get home tomorrow as I've already accepted one rebooking...

Does this mean if my return leg is cancelled on Thursday morning I'll need to get hold of someone to rebook it, or would a second cancellation open the usual IRROPs rebooking system again?

CMiM Oct 31, 2023 1:17 pm

Hotel cancelled and hire car extended. I am writing off flying on Thursday. Not even free flowing booze will get me on a plane in that weather and I think Heathrow will be carnage anyway.

Upupintheair Oct 31, 2023 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 35708598)
I suspect you would need to book quickly, you wont be the only one looking at this. Eurostar is usually OK, but things can go south if a shed lands on the line.

Done, will see how things develop!

greg5 Oct 31, 2023 1:30 pm

Just booked a seat in Y with avios for the first flight ZRH-LHR for Friday morning, that way if things go pear shaped on Thursday, I still have a chance on Friday to make my LHR-SEA flight. Relatively cheap insurance.

BTW, I do have travel insurance, but I'd rather just travel if I can.

TTmex Oct 31, 2023 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by joepatr (Post 35708440)
Not sure if this is what the OP had in mind by “impact to BA’s operations” but my BA242 from MEX did the journey to LHR in less than 9 hours last night, some 50 ish minutes quicker than the journey would usually take. The captain announced there was a very strong tailwind which is attributed to the storm.

We then had an extremely short taxi to the remote stands beyond the C gates. Onto buses and straight through immigration and with no queues whatsoever. Thinking it would take ages to get the baggage from such a long way ago, I quickly popped to the loo and when I got to the belt which was right opposite the toilets was shocked to see the priority bags already going round the conveyor!

My record was 8.40 on the route. We the lost 55 mins waiting for the bus to come to steps. Still made it into the arrivals lounge which is rare before it closes

plunet Oct 31, 2023 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 35708598)

I had to rebook a group to AMS at short notice on Feb 2019 when BA cancelled our flights at short notice due to weather. Even Eurostar were having problems due to the strong winds with a delayed arrival into Brussels meant the Eurostar train terminated early and we had to decamp to a Thalys.

enemigo Oct 31, 2023 2:08 pm

Hmm - realistic likelihood of getting out of LIS on BA499 on Thursday morning... I'm guessing negligible...

DaveS Oct 31, 2023 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 35708936)
I had to rebook a group to AMS at short notice on Feb 2019 when BA cancelled our flights at short notice due to weather. Even Eurostar were having problems due to the strong winds with a delayed arrival into Brussels meant the Eurostar train terminated early and we had to decamp to a Thalys.

If the forecast is correct, East Kent is going to be hit quite hard so anything is possible.

gate4lounge Oct 31, 2023 2:14 pm

Well as it happens my wife, son and I are due to fly GLA-LGW-MCO on Thursday morning. Looking at the weather warnings I'm forming the view that our bums are out the window.... send for supplies of the Badger's Arse😭

DaveS Oct 31, 2023 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by gate4lounge (Post 35708975)
Well as it happens my wife, son and I are due to fly GLA-LGW-MCO on Thursday morning. Looking at the weather warnings I'm forming the view that our bums are out the window.... send for supplies of the Badger's Arse😭

Yes, I think LGW is going to have a rougher time than LHR. I should be near LGW on Thursday but not intentionally flying.

Sigwx Oct 31, 2023 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by gate4lounge (Post 35708975)

Not all Badger are as rough as. Take this Badger for example, perfect supply to hunker down with.😄

https://www.badgerbeers.com/our-beers/best-bitter/