FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Bank holiday weekend at T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2122947-bank-holiday-weekend-t5.html)

firstlight May 25, 2023 12:19 am

Bank holiday weekend at T5

Reportedly the busiest weekend of the year for flying,with a security strike due at T5 and reportedly broken escalators to get to b and c gates, what is the current situation? Flying tomorrow with my Mum celebrating her 85th birthday wondered what the latest was to ensure she has a smooth transit.

Confus May 25, 2023 6:02 am

But also good weather and decent operating conditions at LHR and across Europe. One escalator is fixed (see other thread and it’s mainly shorthaul flights that are busiest at this time of year anyway), security strikes increase rather than decrease efficiency, and BA has thrown a lot of resource into T5 to make it run as smoothly as possible.

Famous last words of course, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt at least for now. Catastrophising helps no one.

Windsock 2023 May 25, 2023 6:07 am

Baggage failure

Sitting on Tarmac waiting for bags pre take off. 12.35 to Madeira. Baggage system has failed and we're short a few. ( The plane is, not us)

Windsock 2023 May 25, 2023 6:19 am

It's still down.

Ground crew have found bags manually, so we're off allegedly 1 hour late. Hope other bags are ok as IT is still down, whatever that means.

firstlight May 25, 2023 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Confus (Post 35277254)
Famous last words of course, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt at least for now. Catastrophising helps no one.

Thanks, Not catastrophising, just looking for up to date information from the scene.

fluffymitten May 25, 2023 7:33 am

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 35277430)
Thanks, Not catastrophising, just looking for up to date information from the scene.

But you're asking for a crystal ball view of what's going to happen in 4 days' time.

KARFA May 25, 2023 7:35 am

I don’t expect anything out of the ordinary tomorrow. I can’t see any need to be concerned.

dnajockey May 25, 2023 8:19 am

Came through mid morning. North and South lounges very full, terminal very busy and my flight to Paris full.

firstlight May 25, 2023 8:20 am

Originally Posted by fluffymitten (Post 35277443)
But you're asking for a crystal ball view of what's going to happen in 4 days' time.

not at all, tomorrow was my main concern and given ba.com and the app currently won't let me check in then I hardly see it as a useless thread

KARFA May 25, 2023 8:25 am

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 35277575)
not at all, tomorrow was my main concern and given ba.com and the app currently won't let me check in then I hardly see it as a useless thread

i think the current issue this afternoon really isn't related to the bank holiday tho, and instead is the typical BA IT problems which occur from time to time.

i genuinely don't see tomorrow as being any different from any other day. reports of full lounges, busy terminal airside, and full flights sounds like any other day in the last few months. and we have seen the security strikes tend to produce a better security experience. even the escalator situation seems to be diminishing now.

I am travelling tomorrow. i don't see any reason to be concerned about the state of T5 tomorrow. i would respectfully disagree with you tbh.

DXB2745 May 25, 2023 8:44 am

Originally Posted by fluffymitten (Post 35277443)

exactly - can someone on here give me sat nights lottery numbers as well please.

firstlight May 25, 2023 8:51 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 35277589)
i think the current issue this afternoon really isn't related to the bank holiday tho, and instead is the typical BA IT problems which occur from time to time.

i genuinely don't see tomorrow as being any different from any other day. reports of full lounges, busy terminal airside, and full flights sounds like any other day in the last few months. and we have seen the security strikes tend to produce a better security experience. even the escalator situation seems to be diminishing now.

I am travelling tomorrow. i don't see any reason to be concerned about the state of T5 tomorrow. i would respectfully disagree with you tbh.

i respectfully disagree.

I would say a complete ground stop is unusual even for BAs crap IT, it will lead to planes being out of place and massive issues tomorrow. Call me a Cassandra if you like. If i'm wrong ill buy you a drink in the ccr tomorrow!

DXB2745 May 25, 2023 8:54 am

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 35277654)
i respectfully disagree.

I would say a complete ground stop is unusual even for BAs crap IT, it will lead to planes being out of place and massive issues tomorrow. Call me a Cassandra if you like. If i'm wrong ill buy you a drink in the ccr tomorrow!

”it will lead” and “if I’m wrong” - if you are so certain in the first place, why ask the questions to begin with inviting comment?

KARFA May 25, 2023 8:59 am

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 35277654)
i respectfully disagree.

what’s the IT issue today and reported problems got to do with the bank holiday weekend and it being supposedly very busy - ie you original concern?

i mean if that’s your logic you may as well post a few days before every trip asking whether there will be ba it issues on the day which cause problems to your travel.

chriswiles May 25, 2023 9:12 am

Originally Posted by dnajockey (Post 35277566)
Came through mid morning. North and South lounges very full, terminal very busy and my flight to Paris full.

When I flew out on the previous BH it was significantly busier than any other recent visit to LHR. J check-in had a huge slow-moving queue, security was ok, but the T5 lounge was packed, T5 generally very busy and flight (to IBZ) full.

If you want to travel smoothly with an older person, I'd avoid any BH weekend personally.