Bank holiday weekend at T5

Old May 25, 23, 12:19 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 1,983
Bank holiday weekend at T5

Reportedly the busiest weekend of the year for flying,with a security strike due at T5 and reportedly broken escalators to get to b and c gates, what is the current situation? Flying tomorrow with my Mum celebrating her 85th birthday wondered what the latest was to ensure she has a smooth transit.
firstlight is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 6:02 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,471
But also good weather and decent operating conditions at LHR and across Europe. One escalator is fixed (see other thread and it’s mainly shorthaul flights that are busiest at this time of year anyway), security strikes increase rather than decrease efficiency, and BA has thrown a lot of resource into T5 to make it run as smoothly as possible.

Famous last words of course, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt at least for now. Catastrophising helps no one.
firstlight, RNdouble and DXB2745 like this.
Confus is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 6:07 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 2
Baggage failure

Sitting on Tarmac waiting for bags pre take off. 12.35 to Madeira. Baggage system has failed and we're short a few. ( The plane is, not us)
Windsock 2023 is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 6:19 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 2
It's still down.

Ground crew have found bags manually, so we're off allegedly 1 hour late. Hope other bags are ok as IT is still down, whatever that means.
Windsock 2023 is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 7:27 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 1,983
Originally Posted by Confus
Famous last words of course, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt at least for now. Catastrophising helps no one.
Thanks, Not catastrophising, just looking for up to date information from the scene.
firstlight is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 7:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 964
Originally Posted by firstlight
Thanks, Not catastrophising, just looking for up to date information from the scene.
But you're asking for a crystal ball view of what's going to happen in 4 days' time.
DXB2745 likes this.
fluffymitten is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 7:35 am
  #7  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,839
I dont expect anything out of the ordinary tomorrow. I cant see any need to be concerned.
KARFA is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 8:19 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bloomsbury
Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Posts: 2,113
Came through mid morning. North and South lounges very full, terminal very busy and my flight to Paris full.
dnajockey is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 8:20 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 1,983
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
But you're asking for a crystal ball view of what's going to happen in 4 days' time.
not at all, tomorrow was my main concern and given ba.com and the app currently won't let me check in then I hardly see it as a useless thread
RNdouble likes this.
firstlight is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 8:25 am
  #10  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,839
Originally Posted by firstlight
not at all, tomorrow was my main concern and given ba.com and the app currently won't let me check in then I hardly see it as a useless thread
i think the current issue this afternoon really isn't related to the bank holiday tho, and instead is the typical BA IT problems which occur from time to time.

i genuinely don't see tomorrow as being any different from any other day. reports of full lounges, busy terminal airside, and full flights sounds like any other day in the last few months. and we have seen the security strikes tend to produce a better security experience. even the escalator situation seems to be diminishing now.

I am travelling tomorrow. i don't see any reason to be concerned about the state of T5 tomorrow. i would respectfully disagree with you tbh.
DXB2745 likes this.
KARFA is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 8:44 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
But you're asking for a crystal ball view of what's going to happen in 4 days' time.
exactly - can someone on here give me sat nights lottery numbers as well please.
DXB2745 is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 8:51 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 1,983
Originally Posted by KARFA
i think the current issue this afternoon really isn't related to the bank holiday tho, and instead is the typical BA IT problems which occur from time to time.

i genuinely don't see tomorrow as being any different from any other day. reports of full lounges, busy terminal airside, and full flights sounds like any other day in the last few months. and we have seen the security strikes tend to produce a better security experience. even the escalator situation seems to be diminishing now.

I am travelling tomorrow. i don't see any reason to be concerned about the state of T5 tomorrow. i would respectfully disagree with you tbh.
i respectfully disagree.

I would say a complete ground stop is unusual even for BAs crap IT, it will lead to planes being out of place and massive issues tomorrow. Call me a Cassandra if you like. If i'm wrong ill buy you a drink in the ccr tomorrow!
firstlight is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 8:54 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by firstlight
i respectfully disagree.

I would say a complete ground stop is unusual even for BAs crap IT, it will lead to planes being out of place and massive issues tomorrow. Call me a Cassandra if you like. If i'm wrong ill buy you a drink in the ccr tomorrow!
it will lead and if Im wrong - if you are so certain in the first place, why ask the questions to begin with inviting comment?
DXB2745 is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 8:59 am
  #14  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,839
Originally Posted by firstlight
i respectfully disagree.

I would say a complete ground stop is unusual even for BAs crap IT, it will lead to planes being out of place and massive issues tomorrow. Call me a Cassandra if you like. If i'm wrong ill buy you a drink in the ccr tomorrow!
whats the IT issue today and reported problems got to do with the bank holiday weekend and it being supposedly very busy - ie you original concern?

i mean if thats your logic you may as well post a few days before every trip asking whether there will be ba it issues on the day which cause problems to your travel.
KARFA is online now  
Old May 25, 23, 9:12 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 746
Originally Posted by dnajockey
Came through mid morning. North and South lounges very full, terminal very busy and my flight to Paris full.
When I flew out on the previous BH it was significantly busier than any other recent visit to LHR. J check-in had a huge slow-moving queue, security was ok, but the T5 lounge was packed, T5 generally very busy and flight (to IBZ) full.

If you want to travel smoothly with an older person, I'd avoid any BH weekend personally.
SxMan likes this.
chriswiles is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread