Search

Let’s hear it for BA Cityflyer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Let’s hear it for BA Cityflyer

Hi All

Due to all the IRROPS at LHR this week I had the opportunity to change my inbound flight from LHR to LCY from AMS.

I haven’t flown BACF since the Pandemic but I was completely reminded on how great this airline is. The Embraer 170SR is a lovely quiet aircraft, the crew were lovely, the legroom great and the meal in CE delicious. 42 minute flight time early arrival into LCY and rapid to get to Paddington now the Elizabeth line is cross city.

I will definitely fly more BACF now - and thank you to the lovely crew last night. So so good felt like I was flying private.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by our_kid
The Embraer 170SR is a lovely quiet aircraft…..
Indeed, but Cityflyer now only operate E190s ….
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good to know.
Just been looking at return fares from LCY to GLA. So cheap!!
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:40 pm

Was on the 10.50 departure EDI-LCY last Tuesday with my old man. Boarding complete by 10.35. Took off at 10.40 and arrived in LCY 30 minutes early.

Pilot apologised if our early arrival spoilt any plans......

Exit row in Y with a free G+T what's not to like.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Totally agree. In Y in particular, i find Cityflyer a no brainer! In C, it is a little bit more debatable of course as food is typically nicer on Cityflyer but you lose the free middle seat.
trolleymusic likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But there's no lounge at LCY. Not a big problem for me.
My boycott of BA doesn't extend to CityFlyer, so I enjoy their service from time to time when I come to London.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ITA Club Executive, Mucci
Originally Posted by our_kid
HI will definitely fly more BACF now - and thank you to the lovely crew last night. So so good felt like I was flying private.
Have to say the BA CityFlyer cabin crews are always superb.

Some of my most memorable BA flights have been on CityFlyer actually.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I used to be a fan, now not so much.

I’m not sure that the food is still better than mainline, LCY is getting uncomfortably busy and the BA Embrauer is one of the very few flights in Europe where J doesn’t get you a middle seat.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Interesting to see your comment about getting from LCY to Paddington. I'm not sure it is any quicker now the Elizabeth line is open. You can of course now do it with one change via Woolwich Arsenal but it is a longer journey.

They really missed a trick by not having a LCY Elizabeth Line station.
EuropeanPete and HNL1K like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
Originally Posted by Schwann
Interesting to see your comment about getting from LCY to Paddington. I'm not sure it is any quicker now the Elizabeth line is open. You can of course now do it with one change via Woolwich Arsenal but it is a longer journey.

It's said that City Airport were given the opportunity to pay for a station but passed. A mad decision in my view, but I don't think it permanently rules out the possibility of one - as only minimal demolition would be needed to build a station in the section where the Elizabeth line runs at surface level, parallel to the A112. The bigger issue would be where to redirect the road traffic...
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:24 pm

To rub salt into the wounds further they have cut the number of DLR wagons per service on the Woolwich Arsenal line post-Elizabeth Line opening.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
For short point to point business hops in Y, such as AMS, RTM, Belfast, GLA, ZUR it is simply perfect. The C premium is very limited, due to the seating issue and the lack of an LCY lounge, but unless I was TP chasing I'd be unlikely to fly C on those routes anyway- maybe ZUR
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC
I love LCY even without a lounge and BACF are a great little airline within an airline. Sometimes I would be in CE unexpectedly for my work commute and it was amusing to try and eat the meal on a short North Sea hop. The crew were always great and the lack of middle seat was not an issue for such a short flight.
I think we did southern Spain once in CE if memory serves and I don’t recall being cramped.
The only service failure we had was failing to load my husband’s gluten free meal on a return from Belfast for which we got a “sorry not sorry” from CS but we have mostly been very happy.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue.
Great service from SOU to mainly bucket and spade destinations during the summer months. Always a great crew and plenty of refreshments!
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold

DLR to Canary Wharf - Purple line from there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.