Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA removes requirement for masks from Wednesday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA removes requirement for masks from Wednesday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by OddJobMan
It's just been on the news, mentioned 18th March. Also said no more PLFs for returning.
Schapps said 18th for covid restrictions inc PLF . Masks are obviously no longer a govt mandate - but a continuation of policy by Heathrow and the airlines
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
Originally Posted by GavT_london
Schapps said 18th for covid restrictions inc PLF . Masks are obviously no longer a govt mandate - but a continuation of policy by Heathrow and the airlines
Ah right, I just caught the end of the news flash as I walked into the room.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:00 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Very sad that BA management has not learned a single thing from the past 2 years, nor have they learned any lesson from the January Omicron spike where daily cases topped 200K less than 2 months ago.

Covid isn't going away anytime soon. In-flight mask wearing will return again whether you follow science or not. What an inane airline to put the profits first over safety/health of their own crew and passengers.
dddc, dnajockey, arf04 and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Masks are obviously no longer a govt mandate - but a continuation of policy by Heathrow and the airlines
Well just to be clear within the UK face coverings are still required for Scotland on flights within airspace over Scotland and at airports there. This will be dropped next Monday though, so beyond that there will no longer be any legal requirement to wear a face covering within BA's domestic network either on flights or at airports.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xxxxx
Can you imagine having to wear a mask for up to 10 or even 18 hours a day, every day for 18 months?
I would gently suggest that isn't an unusual situation in many workplaces. And it won't be ending on Wednesday either.
Tim_T, dddc, dnajockey and 22 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by xxxxx
Can you imagine having to wear a mask for up to 10 or even 18 hours a day, every day for 18 months?

I can imagine it would make some people quite anxious.
Been doing that for last 12 years in operating theatres & don’t see what the fuss is about! I’ve not come across any staff in my hospital who claim a mask exemption either which must be a statistically significant difference to the general population based on experience in supermarkets, public transport etc.

This is anecdote but I also haven’t had a cold since March 2020 whereas previously would get multiple per year after being coughed & spluttered on by non-masked patients & colleagues daily from November to March.
dddc, VSLover, cad-spe and 32 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by KARFA
Well just to be clear within the UK face coverings are still required for Scotland on flights within airspace over Scotland and at airports there. This will be dropped next Monday though, so beyond that there will no longer be any legal requirement to wear a face covering within BA's domestic network either on flights or at airports.
Is there an announcement when we fly over scotland on the way to our destination to put our masks on for the 10mins we are in their airspace and we can remove when over the atlantic again??? LOL ;-)
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mda03jb
Been doing that for last 12 years in operating theatres & don’t see what the fuss is about! I’ve not come across any staff in my hospital who claim a mask exemption either which must be a statistically significant difference to the general population based on experience in supermarkets, public transport etc.

This is anecdote but I also haven’t had a cold since March 2020 whereas previously would get multiple per year after being coughed & spluttered on by non-masked patients & colleagues daily from November to March.
I would respectfully suggest that you chose a career in operating theatres. So your argument doesn’t hold weight with the lay person severely distressed by mask wearing.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:12 am

If this is true, it's a welcome - and long overdue - move by BA.

I've never worn a mask when flying, and BA have been very understanding. No issues with cabin crew at any point, though I always have my exemption letter on my phone if needed.

Those who want to wear one still can, but to stop the safety theatre of the bien pensant dutifully wearing their masks, then removing them to eat and drink, will be a relief...
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:14 am

Is there an announcement when we fly over scotland on the way to our destination to put our masks on for the 10mins we are in their airspace and we can remove when over the atlantic again??? LOL ;-)
It doesn't apply if you are merely transiting airspace over Scotland, just when you are on a flight departing or arriving in Scotland.

Tbh, it would have made more sense to introduce this change to BA policy from Monday to tie in with the changes in Scotland, otherwise on a LHR-ABZ flight they would have to say something as you cross in to Scotland and ask people to put on face coverings if they don't have one one - which purely from a practical point of view is a bit silly.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by EqualOpp
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...eath_in_the_us

Study Suggests Medical Errors Now Third Leading Cause of Death in the U.S.

Yup...and that's what we get. Mental confusion = mental mistakes from wearing a mask all the time.
Interesting leap of faith/prejudice to say masks cause confusion & therefore medical errors.

If you look into that statistic it’s not surgeons cutting an artery by mistake etc, that’s vanishingly rare. The “mistakes” are judgment calls like is this sepsis, do the benefits of prophylaxis for VTE outweigh the risks of bleeding or is this 89year old diabetic fit for a procedure or not to fix their broken hip.

Hindsight shows people get these judgment calls wrong at times but unfortunately for you these are decisions that were always made in an environment without masks although maybe there was tiredness involved from inadequate rest during a 48 hour on-call.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:17 am

Perhaps our collective well being may be served best by just dealing strictly with the BA aspect of this news and not disappearing down the usual face coverings rabbit hole ?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by EqualOpp
It all makes sense when you understand GROUPthink and $cience. As for the GROUP behind the GROUPthink...I best shut my mouth.
Please do.
Smid, EJetter, nk15 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
You can still wear a mask. It's up to personal choice if others want to wear them.

You will find some people wore masks before all this and you will still have people who will wear them after.

It shouldn't be management to decide for their own choice.
LETTERBOY, volabam and RockyRobin like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Very sad that BA management has not learned a single thing from the past 2 years, nor have they learned any lesson from the January Omicron spike where daily cases topped 200K less than 2 months ago.

Covid isn't going away anytime soon. In-flight mask wearing will return again whether you follow science or not. What an inane airline to put the profits first over safety/health of their own crew and passengers.
You can still wear a mask. It's up to personal choice if you want to wear one.

You will find some people wore masks before all this and you will still have people who will wear them after.

It shouldn't be management to decide for their own choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.