FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   My First First (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2064785-my-first-first.html)

subsonic001 Jan 9, 2022 2:02 am

My First First

Thanks to a handful of cancelled trips through 20/21, I’ll be taking my first ever trip in First on the 1st of February. Hoping no further travel restrictions get in the way.

I’ll be flying to Austin via JFK from Heathrow on BA173. I know a stop in DFW would have been better routing (returning home via DFW in F a week later) but due to the number of flights I’ve had cancelled, I wanted a routing that would almost guarantee an F cabin.

Have you guys got any tips on how to make the most out of my F flights? I’m rather excited so I’ll be turning up at the airport very early to get plenty of time in the CCR.

I know it’s meant to be a way of getting from A to B nicely but this flight is almost the whole point of the holiday for me.

Thanks in advance.

BarneyMcGrew Jan 9, 2022 2:44 am

Originally Posted by subsonic001 (Post 33885517)
Thanks to a handful of cancelled trips through 20/21, I’ll be taking my first ever trip in First on the 1st of February. Hoping no further travel restrictions get in the way.

I’ll be flying to Austin via JFK from Heathrow on BA173. I know a stop in DFW would have been better routing (returning home via DFW in F a week later) but due to the number of flights I’ve had cancelled, I wanted a routing that would almost guarantee an F cabin.

Have you guys got any tips on how to make the most out of my F flights? I’m rather excited so I’ll be turning up at the airport very early to get plenty of time in the CCR.

I know it’s meant to be a way of getting from A to B nicely but this flight is almost the whole point of the holiday for me.

Thanks in advance.

Let the on-board crew know it is your ‘first First’ – they may make it a bit more ‘special’ for you.

Don’t be concerned asking the crew anything you are unsure about – The first time I flew in First I felt a bit of an idiot asking about how the meal was served (courses etc) and how the folding table worked but the crew were both patient and fantastic with me.

Study the menu and tell the crew what and when you wish to eat.

Enjoy a glass of two of the decent champagne (unless you have quaffed enough in the CCR already).

Warnings ;),

Do not take a McDonalds ‘carry on’ on board unless you wish to incur the wrath of the BA forum hereabouts:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...rst-class.html

Also, if offered a second full meal onboard – decline it, as it maybe someone else’s and could lead to embarrassment:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...passenger.html

Globaliser Jan 9, 2022 3:06 am

Have you guys got any tips on how to make the most out of my F flights?

Click here and then click "Search now". In those results there will be a lot of threads with experiences and advice.

AmaaiZeg Jan 9, 2022 3:08 am

We flew our first ‘First’ this week. My tips: ask YouFirst for the menu for your flight. Depending on whether you fancy the food onboard, you can then decide how much or little to eat in the CCR. On board, when they only give you pyjamas, don’t hesitate to ask for the slippers. They were comfy and handy. No need to keep putting your shoes back on when visiting the toilet.
Enjoy your flight!

MaxFlyer Jan 9, 2022 3:38 am

I don’t mean to sound like a party pooper, but keep your expectations in check especially right now during the pandemic as unfortunately BA have made significant cut backs especially in meals.

nufnuf77 Jan 9, 2022 3:41 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer (Post 33885624)
I don’t mean to sound like a party pooper, but keep your expectations in check especially right now during the pandemic as unfortunately BA have made significant cut backs especially in meals.

exactly keep your expectations low and you’ll be positively surprised!

westmidlandsguy Jan 9, 2022 3:51 am

I was meant to fly F for the first time in July 2020 but for obvious reasons that was cancelled. I rebooked F to various cities since then (maybe 3 times) for it to be cancelled! I’ve managed to snag business class seats in 2021 so that’s equally as exciting.

I am flying F to Chicago on the 2nd of February (covid permitting - trying to avoid unnecessary contact with people so I don’t test positive) and it seems like it’ll go ahead. I am excited as it’s my first time. Enjoy and let us know what you thought of the F Cabin & CCR.

alex67500 Jan 9, 2022 5:35 am

Pre covid, but I read this the first time.
​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13303132-post21.html

ermis177 Jan 9, 2022 5:48 am

Just go with the feeling ' This is a very good J product' and you will not be dissapointed. Best case scenario you will surprised by the crew who tend to be quite good. Worst case scenario you will probably find some other J products better than the current BA F.

Also unless you want to have your 5 a day as a main course DO NOT order a special meal. Trust me.

JD1905 Jan 9, 2022 5:50 am

My first First experience is this week. On QR from LHR so get to experience the CCR. Might stop off there before heading to Wetherspoons I suppose. Expectations pretty low, just glad to be flying long haul for the first time in 2 years. Looking forward to going on an A380 but the hard product on my flights looks pretty dreadful (A330 with a 2-2-2 for the second half of the journey)

subsonic001 Jan 9, 2022 5:55 am

My last flight was Club Suites back from YYZ. Whilst the seat and service was great, my meal was the vegan curry my wife didn’t like so I already have low expectations for the food!

babyg_wc Jan 9, 2022 6:04 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 33885630)
exactly keep your expectations low and you’ll be positively surprised!

Party poopers - So long as you arent expecting Michelin starred meals your first first will be amazing IMHO. Yes its not as good as some other airlines, but BA has one of the most accessible first class products, E.G. is "relatively" easy to obtain via points/redemptions and even the cash price is often within reach.

Obviously step one is to get to the CCR at least 3 hours early IMHO, the meals in the restaurant, some light bites on the terrace and at least an hour at the cocktail are a must.
Unsure what plane youre on, but some still offer budding dinning in first class, where you and your travel buddy can dine together in either of your first class suite. If you have the chance to buddy dine you should do this IMHO. Its also nice to request "wine tasing flights"
And agreed with other comments, let the crew know.. and they will be sure to look after you.

zen100 Jan 9, 2022 6:10 am

I’m rather excited so I’ll be turning up at the airport very early to get plenty of time in the CCR.

Make sure you turn up very hungry :D

F catering (in CCR and onboard) isn't quite what it used to be, but by the end of the day, you'll be stuffed, so don't go having breakfast at home/hotel before heading to the airport :)

Otherwise, enjoy

shonerm Jan 9, 2022 6:39 am

My wife and I are not frequent fliers, but each of our annual road trips to the US since 2016 have been First cash tickets.

For our first First (to ATL) I sought advice here, similar to yourself. I had very similar responses including the usual BA First is the equivalent of ‘inset airline here’ business class, and set your expectations.

The last point is key, particularly once in the air, but we’ve never received anything but a great and friendly service. The food has always been good and the wines decent. The gate experience at T5 is where the product falls down for me, but I have no point of reference elsewhere.

I hope you enjoy your first First as much as my wife and I did. As mentioned above, we’ve not been able to turn right since, and are wiling to pay for it.

RB211 Jan 9, 2022 10:44 am

Originally Posted by zen100 (Post 33885808)
Make sure you turn up very hungry :D

Well, I think that depends... does one eat anything? Or is one picky in possession of a more refined palate? Or does one have dietary requirements which aren't served well by the "special meals?" (Those last two are me!)

With only three choices of "mains" in First, it's not difficult for those of us who are a little more discerning to be running out of edible options pretty quickly! But if you are "normal" you'll be fine!

(I brought my own sandwiches to my last F and I was glad I did!)

rb211.