In First - Meal given to another passenger

Closed Thread

Old May 19, 19, 8:53 am
Original Poster

In First - Meal given to another passenger

So I was flying LHR to MIA in F yesterday and I had preordered the pork. I asked for the food later in the flight as I had eaten Lunch at LHR. Anyway about 6 hours into the flight I asked for my meal to be made and then the crew delivered it to 3K instead of 2K. the passenger did not say anything and ate my dinner, I did not see they had served it to him either.

When I went back to the galley about 40 mins after asking they said oh have you not already eaten....... NO
The crew member in question was quite upset The other crew members offer to see if they had something else left.... well there was but I was allergic to some of the ingredients. this is why I went through the trouble of calling you First to get the Menus and chef notes on ingredients, below I.flew, and yes my meal I had preordered.

Anyway I asked for the CSM, he was busy and we had not seem him at all the entire flight, so I went to find him in club. he gave me 6500 avis and said I should write in as that’s all he could do, my seat was falling apart and the power sockets worked about 20% of the time. BA First needs to go, it’s hardly a step up from business and with filthy cabins and the new improvements to CW when it rolls out I can’t see a future. This was the last of 4 legs in First then the 2x 747’s were filthy and very tired.

One final thing the crew told the passenger behind he had my meal, it was his first time in First but embarrassing for him and me.

That is my rant over

JJ

Last edited by joejet; May 19, 19 at 9:15 am
Old May 19, 19, 9:10 am

The meal issue seems like a genuine crew error, which could happen to anyone in any class. I would accept the apology.

I agree with your other comments, itís clear WW and AC couldnít give a monkeys.
Howard Long and origin like this.
Old May 19, 19, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
The meal issue seems like a genuine crew error, which could happen to anyone in any class. I would accept the apology.

Oh I did form the crewmember involved and she was quite upset about it. I asked for the CSM when I boarded about the seat and even that I had given up on until the meal issue. the most annoying part was them telling the other passenger that was embarrassing for both of us.
Old May 19, 19, 9:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
Crew error, alas
what I find unacceptable is telling the passenger in row 3 that he ate your meal! That is very unprofessional!
Old May 19, 19, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Someone else ate my breakfast meal in QR J last night too.. the FA was so apologetic he mentioned it about 5 times by which point I was resigned and quite happy for an extra 45 minutes asleep.
Old May 19, 19, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
The older you get the more you grow to realise that you have never seen it all and new surprises happen every day. I wonder what the passenger in 3K who presumably hadnít asked for any food thought when presented with the OPís food mid-Atlantic! I can see how some people would just go with it rather than make a fuss but it does seem strange.

OP - will you write in? This is one of those situations where, once the meal has been eaten, if there isnít a spare, it is very difficult to fix. You also mention seat power issues and seat issues.

I think you need to decide whether you want to pursue it further (and if you do, what you would like to achieve). 6,500 Avios for no main meal in international first class (and the service cock up that led to it - yes mistakes happen but it should be put right) feels low to me, so Iíd be tempted to write a concise letter to BA and see what they say. I suspect they will politely tell you theyíre sorry to hear that you didnít receive your first choice of meal and they understand how disappointing this must have been but having reviewed the case thoroughly they are unable to offer you anything more, but if you donít ask you donít get*.

*except in the case of Mr/s 3K who didnít ask for pork 6 hours into the flight but got it anyway.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; May 19, 19 at 9:34 am
Old May 19, 19, 9:18 am

Economy service can be better than first because in economy, the crew follow a specific pattern. Serve this, then serve that.

In first class, this doesn't happen. With dine-on-demand etc, instead of better service, it just leads to more times for a mistake or error to occur.

I'm not saying it's the crew's fault, I can make mistakes too, I just feel they should have some system or plan or something.
dddc and irishguy28 like this.
Old May 19, 19, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by MarkFlies View Post
... I just feel they should have some system or plan or something.
Thatís asking a bit much really.
When you have millions of customers, none of which really matter, a system to get things right is far too sensible.

Last edited by richardwft; May 19, 19 at 9:44 am
Old May 19, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Gold
Doesnít surprise me.

Generally the ability of BA crew is terrible. Mix the usually laziness they display with lack of ability and this is what you get.

in this case itís a issue of laziness not to check the order and then the lack of IQ to fix it
Old May 19, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, CAMRA
When you are in economy, you hope for a window seat or an empty seat next to you
When you are in premium economy you hope for something better than economy
When you are in business you hope for a bed
When you are in First you want to be pampered..... That is the whole point of First.... unless you are pampered you might as well be in business

A few years ago I flew BA First on a new A380. This was my first First experience and I was really excited. After a meal and 20 minutes of waiting with 2 bell pushes I took my own meal tray back to the galley where they were all sitting around chatting. I hadn't been pampered and I won't bother trying again.
Old May 19, 19, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by London21 View Post
Doesnít surprise me.

Generally the ability of BA crew is terrible. Mix the usually laziness they display with lack of ability and this is what you get.

in this case itís a issue of laziness not to check the order and then the lack of IQ to fix it
I think thatís harsh.

This could have been caused by something as simple as a crew member noting down the wrong seat number, or if the pax came to the galley to order, getting passengers mixed up, to something more complex. But as far as Iím aware, all of us make mistakes sometimes.

Quite how this could have been fixed once the meal had been eaten is beyond me if another wasnít loaded. They did try to find something else but the OP said he had allergies and by now was probably feeling quite annoyed!

From the description, it sounds like the CSM could have handled it better (quite what they were Ďbusyí in Club doing 6h40 into the flight I donít know but there could have been other issues). For instance, the OP said he was given 6.5k Avios but I think the CSM could instead have ticked a box to say he couldnít resolve the issue on board so will CR please contact the customer to discuss a resolution. It doesnít sound like that was discussed but maybe the CSM thought 6.5k was sufficient.

It would be nice for any [First] customer to be proactively contacted by CR after an onboard resolution anyway a few days later - it would make people feel valued and would allow BA to measure how well SCCMs are resolving issues onboard.
Old May 19, 19, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by London21 View Post
Doesnít surprise me.

Old May 19, 19, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I hate to hear about these service failures, they do not make good reading and of course they should never happen but I have noticed that one of posters appear out of nowhere on these threads to have a pop at BA, they then disappear back into their holes.
Oh well that the joy on the internet, I guess it makes them happy!
Old May 19, 19, 10:11 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
It would be nice for any [First] customer to be proactively contacted by CR after an onboard resolution anyway a few days later - it would make people feel valued and would allow BA to measure how well SCCMs are resolving issues onboard.
This would seem to be a very good idea if they really value their premium customers but perhaps there is a message in the fact that they don't do it.
HMPS likes this.
Old May 19, 19, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
I hate to hear about these service failures, they do not make good reading and of course they should never happen but I have noticed that one of posters appear out of nowhere on these threads to have a pop at BA, they then disappear back into their holes.
Oh well that the joy on the internet, I guess it makes them happy!
Good job the internet wasn't around when the cheapest fares were five times the equivalent of what they are now.
noddie09 likes this.

Search this Thread