FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Covid on a plane (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2062142-covid-plane.html)

LCY8737 Dec 15, 2021 7:40 am

Covid on a plane

Just been contacted by TnT, telling me I've been a close contact of someone who has tested positive. Based on the email they sent this too, it is clear that this is related to a flight on Sunday into LHR. There was one member of the crew who was coughing a fair bit throughout the flight, so assume that this was her.

Is BA not testing crew before flights?

mikeyfly Dec 15, 2021 7:45 am

That's quite an assumption! Which route ?

Crew are tested very very regularly, with a mix of short and longhaul they will be testing all the time.

There's a lot of winter colds, bugs, coughs around you know

KARFA Dec 15, 2021 7:45 am

BA is testing crew.

I am afraid just because she was coughing it would not mean she was your contact.

DYKWIA Dec 15, 2021 7:46 am

Nailed on that anybody coughing must have Covid.

golfmad Dec 15, 2021 7:51 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737 (Post 33814295)
Just been contacted by TnT, telling me I've been a close contact of someone who has tested positive. Based on the email they sent this too, it is clear that this is related to a flight on Sunday into LHR. There was one member of the crew who was coughing a fair bit throughout the flight, so assume that this was her.

Crazy thread of the day.

KARFA Dec 15, 2021 7:57 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 33814329)
Crazy thread of the day.

so far... ;)

On serious point, I am sorry you got pinged LCY8737. I hope you don't get it - every time I have been on a flight and not been pinged I feel lucky to have avoided it as some people seem to be getting pinged all the time. I think now you can just to daily lateral flow tests if fully jabbed so hopefully it doesn't cause you too much disruption :)

Frequentflyer99 Dec 15, 2021 8:00 am

"Professor Tim Spector, whose King’s College team run the Covid Zoe app, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “If we look at our regional charts we see London accelerating more than we’ve seen it since the very first wave.”He said the “majority of symptoms” of Omicron are like a common cold, including headaches, sore throat, runny nose, fatigue and sneezing. In London, where Covid is increasing rapidly, it’s far more likely to be Covid than it is to be a cold.”

SHT88T Dec 15, 2021 8:00 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737 (Post 33814295)

I got pinged by the StopCovidNI app after flying in November. My deduction was that the only place I could have been in close contact with someone who was also using the app, for over 15 minutes, was on the BA flight from BHD to LHR. I was contacted 4 days after the date of exposure.

Nobody around me was coughing or seemed unwell. Literally anyone can have it and only test positive afterwards which kicks in the retrospective tracing. That said, just because someone is coughing doesn’t mean they have COVID.

Schiehallion Dec 15, 2021 8:04 am

I was contacted by Track and Trace today and I called them to clarify something and the person confirmed it was a flight at the end of last week. Mrs. S was not contacted, despite being sat to my immediate left. So I concluded that it was the chap sat across the aisle to my right.

No-one was coughing.

PCR test already taken so I can release ahead of Sunday.

Frequentflyer99 Dec 15, 2021 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Schiehallion (Post 33814384)
I was contacted by Track and Trace today and I called them to clarify something and the person confirmed it was a flight at the end of last week. Mrs. S was not contacted, despite being sat to my immediate left. So I concluded that it was the chap sat across the aisle to my right.

No-one was coughing.

Last time I flew they had dropped seat numbers on the PLF. Unless they are back, incompetence sounds a more likely explanation for a lack of contact !

konagirl2 Dec 15, 2021 8:26 am

Yep I would go with incompetence as the explanation for lack of contact... T&T were very careful in not giving any information away that could identify an individual when my partner was contacted a few weeks ago. We returned from South Africa on a BA flight in the week leading up to the omicron announcement by SA. We were both contacted to ask to isolate because we had arrived from a country that had subsequently been added to the red list, but then by Day 7 my partner was contacted as a 'close contact' of someone with the omicron variant. We hadn't been out of the house so we were pretty certain it was the flight, but the T&T script reader could not confirm what day the contact happened because it might break the confidentiality of the contact. I was not contacted. Then my partner was eventually contacted again confirming the date and took yet another PCR test, but I still wasn't contacted. My partner was in 1A and I was in 2A with the same cabin crew. So either it was the person in 1E or - more likely - T&T really doesn't work very well. Still.

TTmex Dec 15, 2021 8:32 am

All I could think of was this meme.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bba87588ad.jpg

LCY8737 Dec 15, 2021 8:34 am

Wow - that kicked off quickly... :D

So I am sure it was the flight because the alert came in on an email address that I only use for registering UK passenger locator forms. Also the PLF does not include seat numbers anymore.

The crew member had also other symptoms of Covid - drinks were very slow to arrive, my glas went empty for prolonged periods of time. So clearly she was already weakened by the virus.

the810 Dec 15, 2021 8:38 am

I have been coughing 8 months per year for the last decade, especially on planes. Maybe I'm the patient zero?

My_head_is_spinning Dec 15, 2021 8:44 am

I have been pinged a couple of times following flights. With The NHS doing the contacting, they’ve been the inbound flight. Does anyone have experience of being contacted overseas following an outbound flight?? That would be more worrying…