Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New High Life Café catering on BA short haul routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
Complimentary offerings
Euro Traveller: water and an ambient snack (eg. cereal bar in the morning, packet of pretzels rest of the day)
Club Europe: full food and bar service

Speedbird Café
Pre-ordered food and beverage service on BA mainline short haul flights, begins 20 January 2021. Available to passengers travelling in Euro Traveller and Club Europe. Items must be be ordered online - minimum 12 hours before departure on services from London, a minimum of 24 hours from outstations. Some flights to London have a longer lead time of 30 hours - see night-stop info below.

Order online via the High Life Shop

Speedbird Café Menu

List of night-stop flights which require the longer 30 hour lead time for orders

Noteworthy information:
Pre-order only: no additional product will be loaded for sale on board and therefore no trolley service or printed menus

Crew will have new TourPOS devices for confirming delivery and taking pre-orders for future flights

Complimentary service first, then delivery of pre-orders. These will be assembled by crew - food delivered in paper bags, drinks by tray.

Not possible to earn or spend Avios on Speedbird Cafe however this option will still be available for Highlife Shop orders

Mainline only

Print Wikipost

New High Life Café catering on BA short haul routes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I see mention of the new Speedbird cafe under shorthaul economy but nothing under club or first concerning the new catering that was due to be launched on the same date.

I hope it still goes ahead as planned.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
From Simple Flying:

Moving forwards, British Airways will be replacing buy onboard with buy before you fly. Customers will be able to prepurchase food up to 12 hours before their flight at the airline’s online HighLife shop. The model should mean that those at the back of the plane don’t go hungry. It also will help the airline to reduce onboard waste, as there won’t be excess food.

There will still be a benefit with the new menu for those who don’t wish to prepurchase food. Before the current situation, if you didn’t buy onboard, you didn’t get anything. During the pandemic, British Airways replaced buy onboard with free water and a small snack for everybody. This will continue with the new menu. Rival airline Lufthansa recently announced that it was scrapping its free snack for a buy onboard menu.
Maybe we need to rename this thread from BOB to POL (Preorder online)
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Maybe we need to rename this thread from BOB to POL (Preorder online)
POO surely?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
POO surely?
I tried to pick the more tasteful letters...

Last edited by BAeuro; Jan 7, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
IMO, BA would offer an onboard purchase option, however, like the M&S era, most likely no cash would be accepted and would be credit/debit card only.
If they do pre-order only, they would lose money.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:36 pm

I for one applaud the idea of having water/whatever available on board and stuff on preorder only. My biggest chagrin with BoB was the incredible amount of time it took to serve people: sure, a lot was due to having a supplier (Tourpos) whose main business must've been turnip harvesting instead of processing orders quickly... but no onboard sales = no probs! BA should be making that VERY clear, though. A bit like Conformance is made very clear on the boarding passes, or like Ryanair does when they say that they'll go medieval on your wallet if you don't check-in online.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:58 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
So what happens if you order online and miss your connection and you are moved to a later flight? Would get nothing?!
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by BA6948
So what happens if you order online and miss your connection and you are moved to a later flight? Would get nothing?!
I'd say that it'd be the same thing that happens today with a special meal on longhaul. If there's enough time to recalibrate catering then it'll be done, if not... it won't. From anecdotal experience the cutoff is around 6 hours as the catering infrastructure is off-campus and requires trucks to be driven along the Perimeter roads and, crucially, pass the security checkpoints. There are exceptions, though, as some stock is also held in-campus for things such as last-minute top-ups.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
I'd say that it'd be the same thing that happens today with a special meal on longhaul. If there's enough time to recalibrate catering then it'll be done, if not... it won't. From anecdotal experience the cutoff is around 6 hours as the catering infrastructure is off-campus and requires trucks to be driven along the Perimeter roads and, crucially, pass the security checkpoints. There are exceptions, though, as some stock is also held in-campus for things such as last-minute top-ups.
I'd say it's probably going to be similar to the 12hr purchase cut off or even 24hr cutoff as with ordering SPML. Definitely something to consider on connections if you're going to plan your catering. Also same day changes etc.... your pre order will in all probability be lost if you decide to make voluntary changes to itinerary.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Speedbird Café launch

It seems that ET passengers will shortly be able to preorder their BoB for delivery onboard, with dishes by Tom Kerridge.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/food-and-drink/tom-kerridge-partnership

Presumably this replaces M&S and the useless Tourvest?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Neilgcal
I see mention of the new Speedbird cafe under shorthaul economy but nothing under club or first concerning the new catering that was due to be launched on the same date.

I hope it still goes ahead as planned.
Re-launch of crockery, glassware and the previous service level in Club Europe and all long haul cabins starting 20th Jan.
IAMORGAN and Neilgcal like this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I'd say the tapas option looks really quite lovely...

perhaps my go-to choice on a european flight on any airline
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:51 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by EJetter
I’ll admit to be surprised the new menu is pre-order only. I understand the benefits from a service delivery perspective but very interested to see how this survives first contact with the paying public!
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Cant see any mention of avios prices....
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I'd say the tapas option looks really quite lovely...
I confidently predict that the food delivered to the passenger will look nothing like as appetising or as generous as the lovely pictures in the menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.