Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New High Life Café catering on BA short haul routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
Complimentary offerings
Euro Traveller: water and an ambient snack (eg. cereal bar in the morning, packet of pretzels rest of the day)
Club Europe: full food and bar service

Speedbird Café
Pre-ordered food and beverage service on BA mainline short haul flights, begins 20 January 2021. Available to passengers travelling in Euro Traveller and Club Europe. Items must be be ordered online - minimum 12 hours before departure on services from London, a minimum of 24 hours from outstations. Some flights to London have a longer lead time of 30 hours - see night-stop info below.

Order online via the High Life Shop

Speedbird Café Menu

List of night-stop flights which require the longer 30 hour lead time for orders

Noteworthy information:
Pre-order only: no additional product will be loaded for sale on board and therefore no trolley service or printed menus

Crew will have new TourPOS devices for confirming delivery and taking pre-orders for future flights

Complimentary service first, then delivery of pre-orders. These will be assembled by crew - food delivered in paper bags, drinks by tray.

Not possible to earn or spend Avios on Speedbird Cafe however this option will still be available for Highlife Shop orders

Mainline only

Print Wikipost

New High Life Café catering on BA short haul routes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Most comms I get from BA now appear to be apologies and excuses !
You are lucky they will refund you. According to 1 report a few months ago, the catering company told him/her that they will provide his/her order for the next flight instead of refund.... I mean, seriously?
flight125 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by ermis177
You are lucky they will refund you. According to 1 report a few months ago, the catering company told him/her that they will provide his/her order for the next flight instead of refund.... I mean, seriously?
Why bother pre ordering, when the potential exists to have to chase up a refund ?

Why not just buy your food and drink in the terminal (or before you leave home for half the price) ?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:27 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
Why bother pre ordering, when the potential exists to have to chase up a refund ?

Why not just buy your food and drink in the terminal (or before you leave home for half the price) ?
I think buying cans of Heinekken or taking them from the lounge for a flight would be frowned upon.

Anyway, I think alot of this info is outdated now. My recent flight had a good selection to purchase online (onboard)
Old Mar 27, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Poor man’s business class

With LHR-GVA cash upgrade going for Ł130, I slummed it in ET but with a row 12 exit seat. I do like them and just about the only place I’ll have one is on the plane but Ł130 is just silly for a scone. So I availed my self of the Speed Bird offering and got this. Not sure I’d do to again. The tiny little plastic knife didn’t so much cut the scone open as it mashed it to bits. Made quite a mess. I was pretty good about cleaning up but I’m not sure everyone will be so fastidious. Tasted fine but just not appropriate packaging or utensils.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I’m still waiting on a refund for a virtually uncooked Tom Kerridge pie I was served a month ago …..
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Raffles
I’m still waiting on a refund for a virtually uncooked Tom Kerridge pie I was served a month ago …..
“Virtually” uncooked? What was the issue?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I thought the pies were pre-cooked and just warmed ?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
Originally Posted by RichieMc

With LHR-GVA cash upgrade going for Ł130, I slummed it in ET but with a row 12 exit seat. I do like them and just about the only place I’ll have one is on the plane but Ł130 is just silly for a scone. So I availed my self of the Speed Bird offering and got this. Not sure I’d do to again. The tiny little plastic knife didn’t so much cut the scone open as it mashed it to bits. Made quite a mess. I was pretty good about cleaning up but I’m not sure everyone will be so fastidious. Tasted fine but just not appropriate packaging or utensils.

Long life clotted cream in a jar isn’t the most appealing thing I have ever seen.

Seriously, though, I feel like this “afternoon tea” is emblematic of the current BA in so many ways. It allows them to run a glossy marketing campaign with lots of buzzwords about “classic, quintessential, British, treat-worthy” blah blah, but the actual product is just crap. Please just let people buy fresh sandwiches and some sort of fresh salad/mezze option. Or just give up and tell people to shop at Pret in the terminal. As things stand, the ET/pre-order catering product is laughably bad.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by chris87
Long life clotted cream in a jar isn’t the most appealing thing I have ever seen.

Seriously, though, I feel like this “afternoon tea” is emblematic of the current BA in so many ways. It allows them to run a glossy marketing campaign with lots of buzzwords about “classic, quintessential, British, treat-worthy” blah blah, but the actual product is just crap. Please just let people buy fresh sandwiches and some sort of fresh salad/mezze option. Or just give up and tell people to shop at Pret in the terminal. As things stand, the ET/pre-order catering product is laughably bad.
You can buy fresh items (pie, sandwiches , wraps) with pre order.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:55 am

Sharing my experience (apologies if already mentioned elsewhere) where it seems you can not preorder Speedbird Cafe on some short-haul services “due to their early departure” from LHR. Personally I find that a staggeringly bad excuse, given that you have to give BA plenty of notice when ordering. Further, it seems to vary depending on the day of the week.

As an example, check out BA1414 & BA1423 (LHR <-> BHD ) where you can’t order on Sunday but you can on other days of the week. For completeness, BA’s explanation:
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC
LHR > AGP: Despite an announcement onboard that complimentary snack & drinks will be offered followed by SpeedBird Cafe offering, post the free offering and only because I enquired, zero stock was loaded. There was a 1hr 20 min delay to the flight so by time I reached Spain I had spent from 3pm to 10pm on a small bag of crisps and a small bottled water. A dismal experience on the A321Neo. I must try to book into Club Europe from now on.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:02 am

oddly not offered on GLA-LHR but was on return LHR-GLA… so flight time doesn't seem to be the issue?! and latter was busier of the two.
Just seems overall lack of consistency and no way could it be relied upon.
JD1905 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:16 am
formerly JackDann

I’d MCOL them on this. If they’re advertising food and drink and they don’t then they aren’t providing the service advertised. Might be a long shot, but i’m sick of them getting away with this nonsense.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by JackDann
I’d MCOL them on this. If they’re advertising food and drink and they don’t then they aren’t providing the service advertised. Might be a long shot, but i’m sick of them getting away with this nonsense.
And what would the claim be?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:42 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And what would the claim be?
Not sure what would be reasonable to claim for in this case - But as the advertised service is not provided i'd have thought you should be entitled to something. I guess it comes down to what is reasonable. Unfortunately i'm not a lawyer, but i'm sure there might be one on here that can advise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.