Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New High Life Café catering on BA short haul routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
Complimentary offerings
Euro Traveller: water and an ambient snack (eg. cereal bar in the morning, packet of pretzels rest of the day)
Club Europe: full food and bar service

Speedbird Café
Pre-ordered food and beverage service on BA mainline short haul flights, begins 20 January 2021. Available to passengers travelling in Euro Traveller and Club Europe. Items must be be ordered online - minimum 12 hours before departure on services from London, a minimum of 24 hours from outstations. Some flights to London have a longer lead time of 30 hours - see night-stop info below.

Order online via the High Life Shop

Speedbird Café Menu

List of night-stop flights which require the longer 30 hour lead time for orders

Noteworthy information:
Pre-order only: no additional product will be loaded for sale on board and therefore no trolley service or printed menus

Crew will have new TourPOS devices for confirming delivery and taking pre-orders for future flights

Complimentary service first, then delivery of pre-orders. These will be assembled by crew - food delivered in paper bags, drinks by tray.

Not possible to earn or spend Avios on Speedbird Cafe however this option will still be available for Highlife Shop orders

Mainline only

Print Wikipost

New High Life Café catering on BA short haul routes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Misco60
The sandwiches in the publicity photographs in that article look wonderful, but I suspect that they contain about three times the quantity of filling that the actual, paid-for sandwiches will contain.
That would be misleading. And you don't have to be misleading, as McDonalds Canada candidly showed:

Genius1, expatboy, TPJ and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by RobDBA
I wonder if the decision to not allow at least drinks to be bought on board will be monitored and potentially reviewed if sales are low? I can see the rationale for reducing wastage but I for one would never pre order a G&T sober but have succumbed a few times on board after having a couple in the lounge and wanting to continue. I’d imagine the margins on alcohol are significant...

Overall though this is a big improvement and the food looks very tasty, I can see myself ordering food on longer flights at meal times. Shame the breakfast options are so limited, I would have thought the preorder stipulation would have enabled a widening of options not a restriction to a muffin or porridge...
The impulse factor is strong; especially on late/early flights, I'd be hard pressed to know if I wanted a sandwich and a drink 12+hrs ahead or if I'd rather just try to snooze. Or even what sandwich/drink I'd be in the mood for.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Concerto
Brewdog doesn't massively rock my boat, always comes across as slightly disappointing and over hyped. It reminds me of Brooklyn Brewery, which at the outset was great, and now is so disappointing that I wouldn't consider buying it (the European version is brewed somewhere in Sweden, which you'd think would make it taste even better than the Brooklyn version, but it doesn't, the bite among other things has gone). As usual, when these companies get taken over by some of the biggest PeePeeWater brewers on the planet (as Brooklyn did, not sure about Brewdog) they go right downhill.
Brewdog isn't a beer - it's the brewery. They brew lots of good beers from their breweries in the UK, US and Australia. They also have "outstation" bars where they also brew.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That would be misleading. And you don't have to be misleading, as McDonalds Canada candidly showed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSd0keSj2W8
I am no way a McDonald's afficionado, but this short video was surprisingly interesting and candid.
Dave_C, Genius1, expatboy and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Shuttle
Given LH group don't give status customers on light fares seat selection until general check-in, plus will soon have BoB, it is cheering that BA for a change is exceeding their offer. I like LH group airlines (especially OS and LX), but as Brit, it is nice to have BA coming out ahead for once on SH Y service.
Um, no: the LH/OS/LX (free) offering will still be a bottle of water and a snack, just like BA. The rest is very similar, I would expect that AF/KL will do the same in the course of the year. The BA version of preorder BoB is a nice idea from an inventory and waste reduction bean counter perspective, but I'm sure its going to backfire. Some years ago I flew to HRG on Condor and preordered warm meals with drinks for the family (about 15€/person) in advance. Sure enough, all was delivered about 10min after takeoff, with a choice of drinks and a bottle of water. Neighboring pax immediately asked if they can order that too and the FA told them to wait for their turn when the trolley came. Of course by then the good stuff was sold out and the family next to me bought candy and drinks for about 80€ to make up for the disappointment. When collecting the trash I jokingly asked the FA about this and she said they probably make no money on the warm meals but the ancilliary sales from the surrounding pax were always crazy.
TPJ and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Um, no: the LH/OS/LX (free) offering will still be a bottle of water and a snack, just like BA. The rest is very similar, I would expect that AF/KL will do the same in the course of the year. The BA version of preorder BoB is a nice idea from an inventory and waste reduction bean counter perspective, but I'm sure its going to backfire. Some years ago I flew to HRG on Condor and preordered warm meals with drinks for the family (about 15€/person) in advance. Sure enough, all was delivered about 10min after takeoff, with a choice of drinks and a bottle of water. Neighboring pax immediately asked if they can order that too and the FA told them to wait for their turn when the trolley came. Of course by then the good stuff was sold out and the family next to me bought candy and drinks for about 80€ to make up for the disappointment. When collecting the trash I jokingly asked the FA about this and she said they probably make no money on the warm meals but the ancilliary sales from the surrounding pax were always crazy.
Without wanting to go OT, thanks for the clarification on the new LH Group offering. Good to know. And interesting about Condor and the ancillary sales.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
I did have a good giggle on page 12: Enjoy hot chocolate with complimentary marshmallows.

I had to read it again. Did they mean "complementary?" Or were they worried that we'd think someone would be charging an additional fee per marshmallow? Oh I should keep quiet and not give any ideas!
TPJ, camdentown and ENTP like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shuttle
Without wanting to go OT, thanks for the clarification on the new LH Group offering. Good to know.
Honestly, I think the free snack on BA will be bigger and better than the one on LH group. It seems like the snack on LH group will consist of one piece of chocolate (14 grams).

I do agree with oliver2002, though, that the window required for pre-ordering the paid stuff does create issues. Not just in case of IRROPS, but in general for everyone changing flights at short notice.

I can only speculate but I would imagine BA will bring back some BoB without pre-order requirement once the covid pandemic is over. The pre-ordering helps to reduce customer-flight attendant interaction right now. But pre-ordering is bad long term, as it surely kills off a decent amount of impulse buys.
Genius1 and Shuttle like this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Since neither BA or LH/OS/LX have actually started the service its really difficult to say who will have the bigger snack
Shuttle and redflyer24 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Since neither BA or LH/OS/LX have actually started the service its really difficult to say who will have the bigger snack
So I can't speculate? Certainly looks as if BA will essentially stick to the current offering when it comes to the free-as-in-beer part. So a bag of crisps or a granola bar and a cookie or something. LH group mentioned only a bottle of water in the press release. It doesn't mention a snack at all! It's just from inofficial statements by LH staff that I infer there will be a small sweet. And it stands to reason that it will be like the 14 g mini piece of chocolate in red wrap for LX and the same thing in yellow wrap for LH.
Shuttle likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
What’s the current catering in Y on Cityflyer ex LCY?

Will it change after 20 Jam finally to BOB as its pre order?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
What’s the current catering in Y on Cityflyer ex LCY?

Will it change after 20 Jam finally to BOB as its pre order?
Carton of water and choice of crisps or biscuits for the foreseeable future. No BoB.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
I did have a good giggle on page 12: Enjoy hot chocolate with complimentary marshmallows.

I had to read it again. Did they mean "complementary?" Or were they worried that we'd think someone would be charging an additional fee per marshmallow? Oh I should keep quiet and not give any ideas!
Complimentary means supplied free of charge? or have I misinterpreted your comment?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Austrian Airlines had a deal at a special counter in VIE airport where you could order a Do&Co meal for your onward flight while in transit at VIE. I'm not quite sure how that worked, vaguely seem to recall a 45 minutes cut off but I'm not sure. I didn't bother ordering one for my short VIE-DUS flight and just stayed with the basic catering but I'm sort of wishing I had tried it now.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Concerto
Austrian Airlines had a deal at a special counter in VIE airport where you could order a Do&Co meal for your onward flight while in transit at VIE. I'm not quite sure how that worked, vaguely seem to recall a 45 minutes cut off but I'm not sure. I didn't bother ordering one for my short VIE-DUS flight and just stayed with the basic catering but I'm sort of wishing I had tried it now.
I got a "plane food" take away meal in T5 a couple of years ago ... and often pick up sandwiches in Pret before boarding.

Really can't see the attraction of ordering a meal in advance from BA - especially with the range of options at T5 (normally).

[not my review]

https://flyanddine.boardingarea.com/...icnic-baskets/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.