Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Provision for age 1's on Board in Business

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Provision for age 1's on Board in Business

Daughter No. 3 asked me what foods and support for new born's are on board BA Business and I was surprised to find that I had little clue. Odd given I've taken our team growing up (including her) many times on long hauls but only as over 2's.

Also seems little of any content on web site.

Can anyone advise please what foods, new born support and materials are available on mid range BA Business flights. (they doing LHR-DXB return end April) and indeed seating options and other support facilities. Same with lounge. Can't ever recall seeing anything in North or South but can't say as I've ever looked.

EK and the ME airlines seem very well equipped in this area .... and indeed maybe BA are but it's not jumping out at me.

Many thanks in advance
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Did you look on BA.com - Family Travel

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../family-travel

Infants' meals

Bringing baby food with you

We carry some tinned baby food on our long haul flights, but we recommend you bring your own un-opened baby food, sterilised bottles and any other equipment, in your hand baggage. Unfortunately, we're not able to sterilise bottles or provide sterilised water on board.

Carrycots and child seats supplied by us

Our carrycots and child seats are for infants from birth up to 2 years old. You can reserve a carrycot/child seat position in advance on long haul flights only, as our short haul aircraft do not have carrycot/child seats.

Child seats and carrycots are supplied free of charge, but are subject to availability on-board the aircraft on the day. They will be given to the people sitting in the carrycot/child seat positions on a first-come, first-served basis.

Even if you’ve reserved this type of seat, we may have to move you on the day if there is a person with a greater need who requires it, such as a wheelchair user.

How to reserve carrycot/child seats

Please reserve a carrycot/child seat position in advance, using Manage My Booking. The carrycot seat positions are marked on the seat maps with a baby icon.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

We carry some tinned baby food on our long haul flights,
I would be very interested in seeing this tinned baby food, since it's something never really covered anywhere. For example, what brand do they have, what type of food is it, what flavours and so on. Seriously.

If anyone or any crew have any pictures of the on board baby food offering on BA, I'd love to see it. Is it the same across all classes or do the first class babies get high end brands, while economy babies get slop?

(I can almost see the BA Baby Food Enhancements thread now!)
dcmike, nancypants and Pelu like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Imagine in these parts the uproar if it was served on china !
RoyalSwazi and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I would be very interested in seeing this tinned baby food, since it's something never really covered anywhere. For example, what brand do they have, what type of food is it, what flavours and so on. Seriously.

If anyone or any crew have any pictures of the on board baby food offering on BA, I'd love to see it. Is it the same across all classes or do the first class babies get high end brands, while economy babies get slop?

When we took the little un to both YYZ and HKG she was provided with Ellas Kitchen (but this was for under 2s)
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Atacama40
Daughter No. 3 asked me what foods and support for new born's are on board BA Business and I was surprised to find that I had little clue. Odd given I've taken our team growing up (including her) many times on long hauls but only as over 2's.

Also seems little of any content on web site.

Can anyone advise please what foods, new born support and materials are available on mid range BA Business flights. (they doing LHR-DXB return end April) and indeed seating options and other support facilities. Same with lounge. Can't ever recall seeing anything in North or South but can't say as I've ever looked.

EK and the ME airlines seem very well equipped in this area .... and indeed maybe BA are but it's not jumping out at me.

Many thanks in advance
from what I remember when I was Crew there was very limited stock of baby food loaded and it was the same for the whole Aircraft, no difference between First! Club or WT. in fact there were 3-4 cans of baby food for the entire Aircraft, so if I was a parent I would not rely on the Airline to provide food for a small child.
some parents thought it was a good idea to order a CHML for small children but you can imagine their shock and horror when it turned out treat the parents meal was a CHML as no airline caters for Infants under 2, well none I know of may I add.

So self catering for the baby is by far the best direction to take.
FlightDetective and mikeyfly like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are various threads available relating to travelling with small children, which are definitely worth search for. But Boots have a large range of infant food in their airside branches, so if all else fails this is all after security and is one of the reasons why HAL tried to keep Boots' branches open even during the first Lockdown.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
Out of curiosity have you tried mumsnet? Might be something there, all loads of discussions in various topics around children.

There is a travel section if I remember correctly.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:42 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:29 am
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
It’s always best to self cater for under 2’s, you’ve got complete control over everything offered and eaten with no nasty surprises.
redrose59 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../family-travel
Thanks Mikey, yes I did see that page but honestly speaking it was so thin that I thought I must have overlooked something more significant.

That said, it's better to know than assume there would be something and find there isn't. Weight isn't so much of an issue on that particular flight and class but it just looked very light compared with the ME carriers etc.

Cheers

The thinking here at Atacama Towers was that they would have a relationship with someone like Ella's Kitchen for baby food ..... bit like they do with M&S.

So far I'm seeing nothing. You'd think the costs of doing that were minimal with minimal costs and a fair amount of goodwill and positive spin.

Originally Posted by cvm0093
Out of curiosity have you tried mumsnet? Might be something there, all loads of discussions in various topics around children.

There is a travel section if I remember correctly.
Didn't no. I think she will but think she was coming from the angle of asking 'Dad' who'd spent was too many years flying assuming a. he'd know and b. a major like BA would have goodies rather than having to do herself.

But is a good call as the answer seems be that the 'under 1's cupboard is bare' on BA. :-)

Certainly worth a read. Thanks

Originally Posted by markle
Flew with a 7 month old in CW a few weeks ago:

- We pre-booked bassinet seats, although our daughter had zero interest in using it all flight
- Crew did not offer any food but did offer to heat anything we had brought with us
- We relied 100% on our own supplies - we brought with us some chopped apple, toast soldiers, Ella's Kitchen purée, with breastfeeding on top
- All of the Ella's kitchen purées are under 100ml so no issue with security
- We also brought a smock for our daughter to wear when eating (she can be messy) and of course cleared up the seat area once she was done
Useful data, many thanks and yes it was indeed the Ella's Kitchen type stuff we thought would be there .... seems not. Not a deal breaker but just a surprise that so little is provided or considered of some important.

Quite lucky actually .... my kids did long hauls since maybe 2 y.o and I was lucky in that they loved it! Their first flight was LHR-LAX. The only terror we had was getting them off the bloody plane. Think they thought it was a new home. Well it was for one of us :-)

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
It’s always best to self cater for under 2’s, you’ve got complete control over everything offered and eaten with no nasty surprises.
Is the conclusion I'm coming to Tiger Lily and the advice I'll be passing on to No.3.

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 19, 2020 at 2:41 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:22 pm

BA carries a selection of infant food onboard (two flavours of Ella Kitchen), nappies, and infant milk. If the crew look a bit lost- tell them its in a cannister in the economy galley. A lot of crew forget its there as that cannister is not often used.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Definitely bring your own food. If you are using formula, try to get the child used to room temp formula. I carried the travel size formula and bottles of water with me (again, bring your own water) and would mix and serve in her bottle right on board. The water being room temp was never an issue for her but I know friends whose kids insisted on warm bottles
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:00 pm

What special meals do they offer? Like vegan baby food, kosher baby food, halal baby food and such things.
FlightDetective and mikeyfly like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Atacama40
So far I'm seeing nothing. You'd think the costs of doing that were minimal with minimal costs and a fair amount of goodwill and positive spin.
The provision for under 2's is on the light side, but worth noting so is the fare at 10% of adult fare.
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.