FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Penalty for changing Avios sale booking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2027263-penalty-changing-avios-sale-booking.html)

tomsafrica Oct 21, 2020 6:10 am

Penalty for changing Avios sale booking

Would anyone happen to know if you can change dates with the recent Avios 50% off flightsale offer or are you locked in? It's not the end of the world but I could now swop to a connection which saves me several hours of sitting at LHR if I change to 2 days later...

jerry a. laska Oct 21, 2020 11:50 am

Some discussion of the ability to change these sale tickets can be found in the sale thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...t-haul-31.html
Including:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32740831-post327.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32740858-post328.html

pogonation Oct 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by tomsafrica (Post 32762644)
Would anyone happen to know if you can change dates with the recent Avios 50% off flightsale offer or are you locked in? It's not the end of the world but I could now swop to a connection which saves me several hours of sitting at LHR if I change to 2 days later...

As the posts jerry a.laska point out, some CS reps mentioned before the end of the sale that the full avios price would be charged. I haven't actually seen any reports to support this however. One person mentioned that they were able to change the date (same route) online without it triggering extra avios but couldn't get as far as the confirmation page. My suggestion would be to call them up and just ask to make the change (don't ask if it is allowed etc.) and then you will find out whether they want to collect more avios or not. If you do, please report back here because I would be interested to know this too :).

tomsafrica Oct 21, 2020 1:27 pm

Thanks Jerry
pogonation the seat I wanted has gone anyway and I wouldn't have paid full whack for such a minor change. Netflix here I come!

sunshinebob Oct 21, 2020 1:42 pm

I deliberately booked Nashville for early November in the hope it would be cancelled and I could move it to sept/oct 2021 outside the 50% sale dates.

My flight was cancelled almost straight away and I moved it fuss free by an agent on the gold line to my prefered dates without any extra avios or cash.

Award availability was not required for the new dates. Travelling in J.

SK AAR Oct 21, 2020 5:57 pm

Of course. Your flight was cancelled, i.e. invol. rebooking whereas the OP and others in the recent BA sales thread inquire about voluntary rebookings.

However, thank you for reporting back with your experience on invol. rebookings following a BA cancellation.

Pocalypse Oct 21, 2020 7:12 pm

I booked a LHR-USA flight in first during the sale. I was able to move it by a month after the sale ended without getting charged extra avios. Booking and changing the flight both done online.

carrotjuice Oct 22, 2020 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Pocalypse (Post 32764335)
I booked a LHR-USA flight in first during the sale. I was able to move it by a month after the sale ended without getting charged extra avios. Booking and changing the flight both done online.

Was the date that you moved to still before 30 June 2021, or does it not matter?

Spinstorm Oct 22, 2020 11:12 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob (Post 32763758)
I deliberately booked Nashville for early November in the hope it would be cancelled and I could move it to sept/oct 2021 outside the 50% sale dates.

My flight was cancelled almost straight away and I moved it fuss free by an agent on the gold line to my prefered dates without any extra avios or cash.

This is sheer genius!

pogonation Oct 22, 2020 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by sunshinebob (Post 32763758)

Nice work :cool:

Originally Posted by Pocalypse (Post 32764335)

That's good to know. Glad that date changes are working for you. Annoyingly all 3 of my reservations say " You are unable to make changes to this flight online. Please contact your local Service Centre to change your flight" so can't do online changes. Hoping that I don't need to make any changes (April and June bookings) but could be likely.

heronb Oct 22, 2020 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation (Post 32765963)
Nice work :cool:

That's good to know. Glad that date changes are working for you. Annoyingly all 3 of my reservations say " You are unable to make changes to this flight online. Please contact your local Service Centre to change your flight" so can't do online changes. Hoping that I don't need to make any changes (April and June bookings) but could be likely.

Do you have a connection to LHR, I’ve found this to be the case sometimes.

LUFTY Oct 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 32764678)
Was the date that you moved to still before 30 June 2021, or does it not matter?

It has to be by the end of the original ticket validity period (1 Year).

There is no need to have Reward Availability and you can get the ticket held until you decide when to travel.

It has to be the same route and passengers to keep the 50% discounted Avios offer.

KARFA Oct 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by LUFTY (Post 32766204)
It has to be by the end of the original ticket validity period (1 Year).

There is no need to have Reward Availability and you can get the ticket held until you decide when to travel.

It has to be the same route and passengers to keep the 50% discounted Avios offer.

just to emphasise, this would only apply for an involuntary change.

if you choose to do a voluntary change you would need reward availability for any new flights

LUFTY Oct 22, 2020 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 32766216)
just to emphasise, this would only apply for an involuntary change.

if you choose to do a voluntary change you would need reward availability for any new flights

Karfa is correct I was referring to an involuntary change..

If it is a voluntary change then you have to pay full Avios on the new booking even if it is the same route and passengers.

pogonation Oct 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by heronb (Post 32766099)
Do you have a connection to LHR, I’ve found this to be the case sometimes.

Yeah all to and from NCL. This must be why. Thanks.