FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   What have shoes got to do with Covid? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2025273-what-have-shoes-got-do-covid.html)

sammyboy999 Sep 17, 2020 9:22 am

What have shoes got to do with Covid?

On my last few trips through Terminal 5 Heathrow First Wing security, all passengers have been told to remove their shoes for scanning. When I asked why this had been reintroduced, I was told 'because of the virus'. Surely there must be another explanation as I would have thought that this measure increases risk of spreading infection if anything

Schwann Sep 17, 2020 9:24 am

I believe it is to reduce the number of activations as people pass through the metal detector and therefore the number of people that require a FreedomFrisk™ and thus reduce contact with security staff.

KARFA Sep 17, 2020 9:26 am

have a look at this post which suggest why there has been the change https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post32679038

This affects all T5 security, not just TFW

Genius1 Sep 17, 2020 9:28 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 32682040)
have a look at this post which suggest why there has been the change https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post32679038

This affects all T5 security, not just TFW

And indeed all of Heathrow.

LCY8737 Sep 17, 2020 9:30 am

Same thing in T2, I asked and the response was along what Schwann posted: Many shoes have a metal rod in them that sets off the scanner as you walk through them. Removing the shoes reduces the number of beeps, reduces the number of contacts.

Also, it allows for easier TSA integration once the Brexit trade deal with the US is implemented.

mikeyfly Sep 17, 2020 10:04 am

In a similar fashion, serving champagne in plastic glasses reduces the amount of contact & risk :p

Jed Sep 17, 2020 11:39 am

I noticed that this was a problem for the ladies who were wearing sandals and no socks. They had to walk barefoot through the security scanner, effectively picking up the concentrated array of foot germs in that area. It made no sense for the customer.

shefgab Sep 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jed (Post 32682394)
I noticed that this was a problem for the ladies who were wearing sandals and no socks. They had to walk barefoot through the security scanner, effectively picking up the concentrated array of foot germs in that area. It made no sense for the customer.

Given the number of passengers that voluntarily visit the onboard conveniences either in barefoot or with socks, I guess the powers that be rationalised that people don't mind about foot germs.

noFODplease Sep 17, 2020 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jed (Post 32682394)

Honestly, these comments about picking up ‘foot germs’ at security - if you are content to touch an x-ray tray or a even a single door handle on your aircraft without gloves, why on earth would you concerned about feet? It’s a complete non issue.

At any airport you are so much more likely to catch a virus or bug from your bare hands than a verruca from the floor yet even right now there is no demand for constant glove wearing.

Everyone’s feet will be fine.

Genius1 Sep 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease (Post 32682602)
It’s a complete non issue.

I agree with everything you say, but for the passenger it's a perception issue. The provision of disposable socks on request for those that want them would be good for perception of comfort/safety.

VSLover Sep 17, 2020 2:23 pm

i mean i hate the idea of bare feet on an airport floor but thats why i'll always wear shoes with socks when flying and for the same reason i dont wear shorts when flying...i'd rather minimize foot injury or burns on my legs from having to go down an evacuation slide.

plus the BA premium lane at JFK almost always requires shoes off, so its not unheard of pre-covid times.

Jed Sep 17, 2020 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease (Post 32682602)
Honestly, these comments about picking up ‘foot germs’ at security - if you are content to touch an x-ray tray or a even a single door handle on your aircraft without gloves, why on earth would you concerned about feet? It’s a complete non issue.

At any airport you are so much more likely to catch a virus or bug from your bare hands than a verruca from the floor yet even right now there is no demand for constant glove wearing.

Everyone’s feet will be fine.

It’s not a worry about catching a bug or infection. Germs do not always imply infection- many just imply colonisation. Walking barefoot through the scanner in a concentrated path alongside several hundred other strangers just feels unhygienic. I’ll rephrase ‘foot germs’ to ‘foot jam’.
I’m not that bothered about catching bugs, but would rather not walk in someone else’s sweat and grease. Urine is sterile too unless the person has a UTI.
Thankfully I’ve always got socks on.

nancypants Sep 17, 2020 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jed (Post 32682750)
Urine is sterile too unless the person has a UTI.

OT but this is a myth

Often1 Sep 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 32682630)
I agree with everything you say, but for the passenger it's a perception issue. The provision of disposable socks on request for those that want them would be good for perception of comfort/safety.

Or people could simply wear or bring socks (disposable or not) with them.

Nobody is forced to walk barefoot. They have simply chosen to do so.

EDIwanderer Sep 17, 2020 3:11 pm

I always seem to be seated alongside or in front of someone who wears footwear without foot coverings and invariably at some point during the flight I will have to look at those unsheathed gnarly toes either caressing the bulkhead or peeking between the seats (on SH), if this makes people wear socks then all the better!