Search

Benefits of Empty Skies and Empty Airports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:55 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Benefits of Empty Skies and Empty Airports

I was on the BA591 today from MXP to LHR and from starting the take-off run to touching down at LHR was just 1 hour and 21 minutes. Due to the reduced flying schedule, no holding circuits around London were required. Not sure I have ever known a MIL-LON (or vice-versa) so fast, we were airborne within 7 minutes after push-back at MXP and on landing, straight on stand at LHR, landing some 32 minutes early at 13:58

Even with a checked-in bag to collect, I was on the LT car park bus by 14:28 - on the car-park bus some 2 minutes earlier than the scheduled landing time

On balance, I would rather have it as it was at the start of 2020 though, all busy again
krispy84 and ThatT1Feeling like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Yea it's interesting. Last week, I loved selecting a cosy corner in a quiet and calm club lounge. Having ridiculously fast table service, pleasantly surprised to see champers was on the online menu. Back to front boarding also much more efficient than the norm imo. 20 mins early arrival at destination. Destination also having less tourists.
James91 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Various flights are now much quicker with fewer ATC delays. For example our flights from LHR-HER are posted as 4 hour flights, Both were completed in 3hr 30 minutes and the route across europe's normally crowded skies were very close to the great circle shortest distance route. The reduced time in flight can of course be sucked back by delays at LHR immigration when they're doing a sweep of contact registration forms at passport control.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
On the 4th July, we did a flight from LHR, and the plane went straight from the gate to the runway to taking off without stopping. Unheard of at LHR if you're not on the first flight of the day.

Lounge experience is so much better at LHR, but that is offset by a lot of out station lounges being closed.

On the flipside what is it with security at LHR insisting everyone take their shoes off? Doesn't happen at PMI, AMS, JTR, TFS.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by The Geek
On the 4th July, we did a flight from LHR, and the plane went straight from the gate to the runway to taking off without stopping. Unheard of at LHR if you're not on the first flight of the day.

Lounge experience is so much better at LHR, but that is offset by a lot of out station lounges being closed.

On the flipside what is it with security at LHR insisting everyone take their shoes off? Doesn't happen at PMI, AMS, JTR, TFS.
hi.

I believe it has to do with the fact that if the shoes set off the detector at lhr and that i then there will be closer contact between the security personnel and the pax and to minimise contact lhr has decided that all shoes are to be removed

regards

Tbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.