FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Here's an idea to keep slots busy for the Winter season: LCY-LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2024954-heres-idea-keep-slots-busy-winter-season-lcy-lhr.html)

MatJarosz Sep 12, 2020 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jambon87 (Post 32671040)
A winter trial of LHR >

PIK
EMA
BHX
BRS
KOI
DSA

Hilarious at the thought, but why not :D

LHR -> ISC sounds fun, not sure if A319 would fit on their runway but worth a try :D

TTmex Sep 12, 2020 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 32671101)
OS?

Quoi?

cruisr Sep 12, 2020 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by MatJarosz (Post 32671181)
LHR -> ISC sounds fun, not sure if A319 would fit on their runway but worth a try :D

You got me on ISC. had to look that one up.

stewardo Sep 12, 2020 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 32671395)
Quoi?

OS is the code for Austrian Airlines, which operates non-stop flights between London and Vienna

Swiss (code LX) does not offer such flights on that route, but may (as you suggest) offer chicken in J

HIDDY Sep 12, 2020 9:15 pm

Must admit I hadn't a clue how long it would take to get from LCY-LHR by land. So as Flyertalkers have a penchant to exaggerate I decided to Google Map it. It says it takes 52 minutes by road all going well and forever by public transport so your idea isn't as daft as I originally thought. :tu:

So I reckon if enough people would use it then it'd be a winner. However I don't think a certain Norwegian girl whose name escapes me would agree.

allturnleft Sep 13, 2020 12:37 am

LCY /LHR Isle of Wight would be fun

I did depart LHR in a piper Navajo once !

lost_in_translation Sep 13, 2020 2:14 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 32671516)
Must admit I hadn't a clue how long it would take to get from LCY-LHR by land. So as Flyertalkers have a penchant to exaggerate I decided to Google Map it. It says it takes 52 minutes by road all going well and forever by public transport so your idea isn't as daft as I originally thought. :tu:

52 minutes if you search in the middle of the night maybe :), realistically, you’re looking at an hour plus with non-COVID traffic volumes, and that’s assuming you don’t get stuck in any more traffic than normal. God forbid you try to do it around rush hour also when 2 hours can count as a good run!

From my flat in East London it can literally be quicker to get to LCY, board a flight and get out of the airport at the other side for a domestic destination than just to get to LHR in a car...

KARFA Sep 13, 2020 2:32 am

Pre Covid I always thought going via AMS was the sensible option for transferring between any two of LCY/LHR/LGW ;)

corporate-wage-slave Sep 13, 2020 3:07 am

For the Sunday Armchair CEOs information, here are the UK's airports, with paved runways longer than 3,900 feet - the length of LCY. Green hatch on the IATA code means I can recall BA or BACF operating or diverting to this airport - I haven't included SUN. I'm not sure about HMRC presence, whether that is necessary, I know that there is very little to stop BA from operating LHR-CAL for example.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/8zGmlv.png

LCY8737 Sep 13, 2020 3:10 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 32671821)
52 minutes if you search in the middle of the night maybe :), realistically, you’re looking at an hour plus with non-COVID traffic volumes, and that’s assuming you don’t get stuck in any more traffic than normal. God forbid you try to do it around rush hour also when 2 hours can count as a good run!

My personal record is 4 hours during a tube strike.

navylad Sep 13, 2020 3:27 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32671881)
For the Sunday Armchair CEOs information, here are the UK's airports, with paved runways longer than 3,900 feet - the length of LCY. Green hatch on the IATA code means I can recall BA or BACF operating or diverting to this airport - I haven't included SUN. I'm not sure about HMRC presence, whether that is necessary, I know that there is very little to stop BA from operating LHR-CAL for example.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/8zGmlv.png

Thanks for sharing, a BA A 319 has landed at RNAS Culdrose before, twice in fact in May 2012, carrying the Olympic torch from Athens which was then conveyed to Lands End to start its run around the country on a Royal Navy Sea King HAR.5 (Search and Rescue).

here’s a pic of the A319 that did a practice landing (not the one that actually carried the flame).

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0f214ec1c.jpeg

TTmex Sep 13, 2020 7:11 am

Originally Posted by stewardo (Post 32671445)
OS is the code for Austrian Airlines, which operates non-stop flights between London and Vienna

Swiss (code LX) does not offer such flights on that route, but may (as you suggest) offer chicken in J

Haha. Oops yes. Spur of the moment joke delivered without basic geography. I only got B in GCSE geography. Now I know why. That and not being able to stay between the lines with my felt tips.

EDIwanderer Sep 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 32672181)
Haha. Oops yes. Spur of the moment joke delivered without basic geography. I only got B in GCSE geography. Now I know why. That and not being able to stay between the lines with my felt tips.

Missed a chance here...

Vienna?, means nothing to me! ;)

1Aturnleft Sep 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by EDIwanderer (Post 32672929)
Missed a chance here...

Vienna?, means nothing to me! ;)

They meant Zurich. And if that still means nothing to you then consider yourself extremely lucky 😊

EDIwanderer Sep 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft (Post 32672978)
They meant Zurich. And if that still means nothing to you then consider yourself extremely lucky 😊

I don’t know any songs about Zurich! :( ;)