FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Have BA started unloading hold bags after 10pm ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2024644-have-ba-started-unloading-hold-bags-after-10pm.html)

VC10 Boy Sep 7, 2020 4:18 am

Have BA started unloading hold bags after 10pm ?

For flights arriving in LHR at a gate on Saturday and Sunday after 10pm, are BA unloading hold bags again?

Or are they still being unloaded and couriered to you on Monday morning?

alex67500 Sep 7, 2020 4:37 am

I'm not sure I follow. I've landed late on Sundays (sometimes past midnight on delayed flights) but I've had my bags on a luggage belt as far as I remember. Unless my memory is wrong...

corporate-wage-slave Sep 7, 2020 5:04 am

I think that this is in reference to one or two days recently, when if someone calls in sick or there is some other staff shortage, then offloading after 22:00 hrs may get stopped and people asked to submit an address for their bags. I guess that is because overtime is also banned at the moment. I suspect this is in the "unusual" category, rather than normal, therefore it wouldn't be sensible to plan around it, other than perhaps to ensure things like phone chargers are carried in hand luggage.

VC10 Boy Sep 7, 2020 5:04 am

I have heard from multiple sources that HAL have cut operatives and now there are no baggage handlers available after 10pm on weekends to unload hold baggage. This is Covid-19 related and happened during August. Not sure if it is still current so would value any examples, especially to the contrary.

justin_krusty Sep 7, 2020 5:06 am

We landed at T5 last night at 2215, on stand 2220 at a C gate. Luggage unloaded fine, although the rest of the airport experience was shambolic.

Can I help you Sep 7, 2020 5:07 am

Welcome back VC10 Boy, where have you been hiding?

BLHD Sep 7, 2020 5:11 am

Considering HAL don't employ the baggage handlers I struggle to believe this.

sungod Sep 7, 2020 5:31 am

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy (Post 32657748)
I have heard from multiple sources that HAL have cut operatives and now there are no baggage handlers available after 10pm on weekends to unload hold baggage. This is Covid-19 related and happened during August. Not sure if it is still current so would value any examples, especially to the contrary.

Landed around 2220 on Saturday (29/08) at B gates, I was in the first few off, walked fast and had only a few minutes wait at the egates, my big rucksack and bike box were both waiting for me at the belt.

VC10 Boy Sep 7, 2020 5:34 am

Originally Posted by justin_krusty (Post 32657749)
We landed at T5 last night at 2215, on stand 2220 at a C gate. Luggage unloaded fine, although the rest of the airport experience was shambolic.

Thanks. NQY wasn’t unloaded last night and no stand guidance for 20 minutes.

Guess it is just pot luck, but will look on the bright side. It’s good to be flying again.

braiden9 Sep 7, 2020 6:15 am

Landed at T5 C last night at 22:20. Didn't have to wait any longer than normal for bags. Whole airport experience was quick (besides Uber drama).

Dave_C Sep 7, 2020 7:53 am

I had this three weeks ago coming in from GOT on a Sunday (early) about 22.40. Containers not unloaded 30 minutes after landing. I reported the bag and it was delivered home to me the next day. The general arrivals experience was dreadful.

Speedbird676 Sep 7, 2020 7:58 am

I arrived at T5 last night at 2245 and bags were delivered to the carousel.

The worst part of the arrivals experience last night was the immigration queue half the length of the terminal. Thankfully it moved relatively quickly.

PUCCI GALORE Sep 7, 2020 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird676 (Post 32657991)

The worst part of the arrivals experience last night was the immigration queue half the length of the terminal. Thankfully it moved relatively quickly.

Good Heavens! I was there about 45 minutes earlier and it was nothing like that. We pulled on to stand A gates and e-gates were available very quickly. For once we’d put a large case in the hold and it was on the carousel as we arrived there. We were out very quickly.

Genius1 Sep 7, 2020 11:38 am

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy (Post 32657748)
I have heard from multiple sources that HAL have cut operatives and now there are no baggage handlers available after 10pm on weekends to unload hold baggage.

As BLHD says, Heathrow don't employ baggage handlers. Babcock/Vanderlande (on behalf of Heathrow) operate the physical baggage systems, with handling of passengers' baggage being carried out by the airline or their ground handling agent.

justin_krusty Sep 7, 2020 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird676 (Post 32657991)

We had the same which I’ve commented on in the T5 thread. Took 30 mins from back of queue to the gates.