Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Have BA started unloading hold bags after 10pm ?

Old Sep 7, 20, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds

For flights arriving in LHR at a gate on Saturday and Sunday after 10pm, are BA unloading hold bags again?

Or are they still being unloaded and couriered to you on Monday morning?
Old Sep 7, 20, 5:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I'm not sure I follow. I've landed late on Sundays (sometimes past midnight on delayed flights) but I've had my bags on a luggage belt as far as I remember. Unless my memory is wrong...
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 6:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think that this is in reference to one or two days recently, when if someone calls in sick or there is some other staff shortage, then offloading after 22:00 hrs may get stopped and people asked to submit an address for their bags. I guess that is because overtime is also banned at the moment. I suspect this is in the "unusual" category, rather than normal, therefore it wouldn't be sensible to plan around it, other than perhaps to ensure things like phone chargers are carried in hand luggage.
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 6:04 am
Original Poster

I have heard from multiple sources that HAL have cut operatives and now there are no baggage handlers available after 10pm on weekends to unload hold baggage. This is Covid-19 related and happened during August. Not sure if it is still current so would value any examples, especially to the contrary.
alex67500, SxMan and haroon145 like this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 6:06 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
We landed at T5 last night at 2215, on stand 2220 at a C gate. Luggage unloaded fine, although the rest of the airport experience was shambolic.
Old Sep 7, 20, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Welcome back VC10 Boy, where have you been hiding?
VC10 Boy likes this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 6:11 am

Programs: BA & HH Silver
Considering HAL don't employ the baggage handlers I struggle to believe this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy View Post
I have heard from multiple sources that HAL have cut operatives and now there are no baggage handlers available after 10pm on weekends to unload hold baggage. This is Covid-19 related and happened during August. Not sure if it is still current so would value any examples, especially to the contrary.
Landed around 2220 on Saturday (29/08) at B gates, I was in the first few off, walked fast and had only a few minutes wait at the egates, my big rucksack and bike box were both waiting for me at the belt.
VC10 Boy likes this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justin_krusty View Post
We landed at T5 last night at 2215, on stand 2220 at a C gate. Luggage unloaded fine, although the rest of the airport experience was shambolic.
Thanks. NQY wasnt unloaded last night and no stand guidance for 20 minutes.

Guess it is just pot luck, but will look on the bright side. Its good to be flying again.
Old Sep 7, 20, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Landed at T5 C last night at 22:20. Didn't have to wait any longer than normal for bags. Whole airport experience was quick (besides Uber drama).
Old Sep 7, 20, 8:53 am

I had this three weeks ago coming in from GOT on a Sunday (early) about 22.40. Containers not unloaded 30 minutes after landing. I reported the bag and it was delivered home to me the next day. The general arrivals experience was dreadful.
Old Sep 7, 20, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Bronze, SQ KrisFlyer
I arrived at T5 last night at 2245 and bags were delivered to the carousel.

The worst part of the arrivals experience last night was the immigration queue half the length of the terminal. Thankfully it moved relatively quickly.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 12:36 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Speedbird676 View Post

The worst part of the arrivals experience last night was the immigration queue half the length of the terminal. Thankfully it moved relatively quickly.
Good Heavens! I was there about 45 minutes earlier and it was nothing like that. We pulled on to stand A gates and e-gates were available very quickly. For once wed put a large case in the hold and it was on the carousel as we arrived there. We were out very quickly.
Old Sep 7, 20, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy View Post
I have heard from multiple sources that HAL have cut operatives and now there are no baggage handlers available after 10pm on weekends to unload hold baggage.
As BLHD says, Heathrow don't employ baggage handlers. Babcock/Vanderlande (on behalf of Heathrow) operate the physical baggage systems, with handling of passengers' baggage being carried out by the airline or their ground handling agent.
Old Sep 7, 20, 1:46 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by Speedbird676 View Post

We had the same which Ive commented on in the T5 thread. Took 30 mins from back of queue to the gates.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: