Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TXL to close temporarily from 15 June [apparently now remaining open till Nov '20]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TXL to close temporarily from 15 June [apparently now remaining open till Nov '20]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Indeed. In normal traffic, 14 minutes from my front door to the SEN lounge!

awww. thats neat. i live in Alt Mariendorf. that like 45 to 60 minutes from both airports.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
A quick exit is literally the only upside TXL has, and if you are not in that exact same scenario (narrowbody, terminal A-B, hand luggage, Schengen), then the whole experience becomes cumbersome. With S-Bahn, regional train, airport express and shuttle bus services to U7, BER will have 3 additional types of public transport means compared to TXL.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Nephoi
awww. thats neat. i live in Alt Mariendorf. that like 45 to 60 minutes from both airports.
You had a nice brewery there! Have not been to the new operation.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Deckter
A quick exit is literally the only upside TXL has, and if you are not in that exact same scenario (narrowbody, terminal A-B, hand luggage, Schengen)
Has anything changed since I was last in Berlin? I was due to go in May but that won't be happening. Obviously the BA flights are non-schengen but they arrived in the A terminal and it was still a pleasure from landing to the taxi.

It's not the best airport to wait hours in but like LCY you don't need to get there too early.

I can imagine it's hell if you're not on a stand in A but I can see a future for a scaled back TXL with higher airport charges that'll serve shorthaul flights from passengers who appreciate the convenience of the location, a bit like LCY.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Has anything changed since I was last in Berlin? I was due to go in May but that won't be happening. Obviously the BA flights are non-schengen but they arrived in the A terminal and it was still a pleasure from landing to the taxi.

It's not the best airport to wait hours in but like LCY you don't need to get there too early.

I can imagine it's hell if you're not on a stand in A but I can see a future for a scaled back TXL with higher airport charges that'll serve shorthaul flights from passengers who appreciate the convenience of the location, a bit like LCY.
Unless flying in front, there is quite a wait at passport control, as only 2 officers process an entire plane. LCY only exists because of it's proximity to the City, Berlin hasn't got rich bankers to fund a "luxury" airport.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You had a nice brewery there! Have not been to the new operation.
im absolutely not into Beer. but i'Ve noticed there are quite some Berliners here...

maybe we should meet-up sometimes in the summer? when its allowed to?
Deckter likes this.

Last edited by Nephoi; Apr 30, 2020 at 8:31 am
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Nephoi
im absolutely not into Beer. but i'Ve noticed there are quite some Berliners here...

maybe we should meet-up sometimes in the summer? when its allowed to?
That sounds like a plan!
Nephoi and Deckter like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Just had a few cancellations come through for TXL flights in June in the last hour.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by braiden9
Just had a few cancellations come through for TXL flights in June in the last hour.
interesting. i got some flights for July.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by braiden9
Indeed, my question upthread just resolved itself when the LHR-TXL got canx. My crystal ball is as hazy as everyone else but I hope it is not too long until we get the chance to visit that wonderful city again.

Aside: Gold Line were superb, connected in less than a minute and refund processed seamlessly. Friendly and chatty despite the enormous worries they must be operating under.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
My June 30TH LHR-TXL just got cancelled, I’m given the option between three other flights, one still LHR-TXL and the other two LCY-TXL
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m happy I got a final trip through one of the most convenient big city airports in the world. As I flew in and out of LCY (one of the other most convenient) it was an pain free experience and a lovely way to sign off flying in the pre-virus world.
Old May 2, 2020, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
This makes sense, a mate who is a LH pilot told me that they are going to court to stop the closure of TXL! It's obviously to stop it in June rather than what I assumed was for later in the year which I found odd since LH have just told me a flight I'm booked on with them will now route FRA-BER rather than FRA-TXL.

I doubt even in lockdown mode there is capacity at SXF to handle the traffic over the summer.
Old May 2, 2020, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrpete
This makes sense, a mate who is a LH pilot told me that they are going to court to stop the closure of TXL! It's obviously to stop it in June rather than what I assumed was for later in the year which I found odd since LH have just told me a flight I'm booked on with them will now route FRA-BER rather than FRA-TXL.

I doubt even in lockdown mode there is capacity at SXF to handle the traffic over the summer.
why you doubt that?

txl had a little over 20 million pax last year.
sxf 12 million
---
32 million pax.

if your running at 40% - and thats optimistic - sxf should handle 12.8 million pax p.a.

Last edited by Nephoi; May 2, 2020 at 9:35 am
Old May 2, 2020, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Just for the datamark,

BA did not offer any kinds of free changes or free refunds when Istanbul Atatürk Airport moved to ( new ) Istanbul Airport.
I sought a free date change when did change was confirmed but the BA hotline agents ( Turkish call center ) told me that it's not possible that the flights are not canceled and the airport code rests the same.

Any experience of cancellation and changes when BA decided to shift one of their DME flights to SVO?
This might give an idea about free changes ( cancellations ) when there is an airport change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.