Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by 13901
I'm surprised that IAG is openly suggesting that 1 in 3 BA employees could lose their jobs but nothing with regards to Iberia, Aer Lingus, Vueling or LEVEL.
I can’t help but wonder if there’s a political angle to this. How many redundancies will they tell the government can be avoided if other airlines aren’t saved?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by krispy84
Copied from the BBC News app:

Balpa's general secretary Brian Strutton said: "This has come as a bolt out of the blue from an airline that said it was wealthy enough to weather the Covid storm and declined any government support.
"Balpa does not accept that a case has been made for these job losses and we will be fighting to save every single one."

This just comes across as bluster.
On the contrary. A company drawing down on a Government Job Retention Scheme, whilst preparing to make staff redundant is an interesting approach.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by pauldb
I can’t help but wonder if there’s a political angle to this. How many redundancies will they tell the government can be avoided if other airlines aren’t saved?
I think it's just BA/IAG getting in quick and allowing the Government (or taxpayer) to pay for the majority of the affected employees' notice periods via the furlough scheme while it runs until June. It will essentially slash the airline's restructuring costs. If it helps ensure the airline's long term survival then I can see why they have acted so quickly.

That aside, very sad news for all affected.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Really sad news, best wishes (for the future) to those who might be affected.
hope some solution can we worked out here !!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
If BA needs Government support they should apply and get it. Wizz Air has and they aren’t exactly the biggest or most important UK airline.
Bohinjska Bistrica likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Suspect IAG doesn’t have much choice, when entering consultation like this as a UK employer, you have to inform the RPS (govt) and I guess it’s material enough to require a release to the stock market. Don’t have direct knowledge of what IAG is doing in Spain, but wouldn’t be at all surprised if IB/VY were using the force-majeure ERTE scheme under the state of alarm (rough equivalent to the UK job retention scheme, though works differently). Dismissing staff falling under this scheme is legally risky in Spain (though in fairness the law isn't exactly recently tested in this area and IANAL), and in any case the law works differently there. Once the state of alarm finishes, sadly it would not be surprising to hear similar news out of Spain.
My point was that BA was specifically mentioned in the IAG press release but no other airline (or, God forbid, IAG's office itself) was... it was a bit odd.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
I have a little bit of knowledge here as my company is (one of several) working with IAG on some of these plans. While I won’t go into detail and don’t wish to, the plan is very much to try and save as many roles in BA as it possibly can, but given airline sustainability and demand curve modelling, there will need to be a complete reshaping of the business. No choice if there is to be a BA in 3-5 years time. The airline in the short- / medium-term will be a functional one, as opposed to a bells-and-whistles carrier. My own personal opinion is that passenger enhancements and value-add services will be pared back significantly or dispensed with altogether. If it saves 1 job, then that will be fine for many people I’m sure.

I must say, after being quite negative on BA when flying with them, but now actually working alongside them in a crisis, BA have some truly amazing people working for them.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Agent69
Commiserations to all who might be affected in these difficult times.

However, you do have to wonder what planet Balpa are on, saying they are going to fight every single job cut.
Balpa is doing what its members expect (and pay for) it to do.

You and I know they won't be able to save every job for a number of different reasons, but throwing the towel in early doors isn't an option.
​​​​​
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by BAeuro
If BA needs Government support they should apply and get it. Wizz Air has and they aren’t exactly the biggest or most important UK airline.
If BA’s credit rating is sufficient, it could issue commercial paper under the CCFF in the same way as Wizz proposes to, and easyJet has also done.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Announcing so many redundancies just two months after distributing £600m to shareholders leaves a very bad taste.

I sincerely hope that this is bluster, in an attempt to get government support.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:43 pm

Terribly sad but not entirely unsurprising news. I think all of us, despite our gripes over catering or outdated seats or BOB etc can empathise with those effected & particularly the amazing front line people we meet every time we fly.

Fingers crossed they all find alternative employment soon
Misco60 and BAeuro like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by 13901
My point was that BA was specifically mentioned in the IAG press release but no other airline (or, God forbid, IAG's office itself) was... it was a bit odd.
It is unusual, but I would guess driven by legal constraints over timing of such announcements in different jurisdictions. I suppose a political angle to exert some sort of pressure on the UK govt is possible, but IAG has pretty high level govt access in the UK without conducting its business in public. Still we are in a time when nothing is normal...it’s terrible news for the staff, and for the industry.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Killian_S
While I won’t go into detail and don’t wish to, the plan is very much to try and save as many roles in BA as it possibly can, but given airline sustainability and demand curve modelling, there will need to be a complete reshaping of the business. No choice if there is to be a BA in 3-5 years time. The airline in the short- / medium-term will be a functional one, as opposed to a bells-and-whistles carrier. My own personal opinion is that passenger enhancements and value-add services will be pared back significantly or dispensed with altogether. If it saves 1 job, then that will be fine for many people I’m sure.
I agree with you completely.

My only fear is that if they become more functional and no frills, people will just fly other airlines, leading to more bad news...
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I think people are reading too much into the absence of any mention of other IAG carriers. Sadly I expect that will come, but possibly caught up in other countries' rules on redundancy/severance notification process, which are typically quite specifically prescribed. Sadly I expect VY would take a hit, given tourism will take a knock.

I mentioned above that hopefully the process is voluntary for as many as possible. I thought that this would be a tall order, but at least for crew, perhaps not as much. We have heard before about a lot of churn on mixed fleet and a steady stream doing the job for 1-2 years before jumping. I also expect the experience of COVID will have prompted some to consider doing something else. Perhaps for many, and ideally all, the offer of severance will be welcome, (ie because they had already decided to move on).
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Hawk777
Horrible news but not unexpected. Feel for everyone that's going to be impacted. Personally if my departments impacted which it more than likely will be im at a time of life and a financial position where I would volunteer to go to save someone who really needs the job being one of the unfortunate ones
Me too.
wrp96, mikeyfly, wilsnunn and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.