FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Those nasty little yellow cabin baggage tags [environmental impact] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2006799-those-nasty-little-yellow-cabin-baggage-tags-environmental-impact.html)

email2markt Jan 31, 2020 4:55 am

Environment wise I think people forget when packing that everything they carry on requires copious amounts of jet fuel to get it to your destination. I'm pondering what would happen if BA gave bonus Avios to every passenger for every 1kg under the allowances for carry-on and hold luggage. If they got the amount of Avios right they'd probably end up quids in on the fuel saved. Would having a lack of space in overhead bins disappear over night too?

BOH Jan 31, 2020 5:06 am

Originally Posted by email2markt (Post 32015619)
Environment wise I think people forget when packing that everything they carry on requires copious amounts of jet fuel to get it to your destination. I'm pondering what would happen if BA gave bonus Avios to every passenger for every 1kg under the allowances for carry-on and hold luggage. If they got the amount of Avios right they'd probably end up quids in on the fuel saved. Would having a lack of space in overhead bins disappear over night too?

Great idea, I really, really like that :tu:

fransknorge Jan 31, 2020 8:10 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 32013702)
There is an easy solution to this. Just put a small rectangular aperture at the entrance to each scanner that is sized at the maximum cabin bag dimensions. It would basically mean that any pax with an oversize cabin bag means that said bag does not even make it past security....because it won't fit the scanner. That would ensure 100% compliance for all airlines without them even have to lift a finger.....the enforcement is automatic and cannot be argued or bypassed as mentioned above with a PYOBP or mobile phone BP.

I see they have started to use this at GOA.....if your bag don't fit you simply cannot proceed through security, no security staff even need to be involved. It worked very effectively 10 days ago when I went through and 2 pax turned back without a staff member even having to intervene.

It is a bit like compliance at T5, there is a hard and fast black-and-white go-nogo decision and is nothing to do with BA. Pax don't like it but once they know it is a go-nogo that airport staff cannot override they start to comply. Do it for hand-luggage and stop the selfish oafs abusing the system :tu:

This would be hard to implement as the size requirements is different for each airline. LH max size differs from BA, who differs from U2.
Compliance at T5 has everything to do with BA I think, this is a BA requirements (hence why only T5 has it).

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun (Post 32014986)
In theory if you refused the tag and I assume legally they cannot touch your bag without your permission would they then deny you boarding over it? I know its an extreme and people are just doing their jobs but I only tried it once when I was in row 1 and pointed it out, they eventually gave up.

A gate agent has just a few seconds to give you the tag, it has no time to look at the BP to check whether you are in row 1 or an emergency exit row. Moreover due to the variations of aircraft, I am fairly confident no gate staff (and no Flyertalker, even CWS) could find in their memory the right row number for the emergency exit row for the aircraft currently parked at their gate in the couple of seconds they interact to give passengers the yellow tag.

UKTraveller4Fun Jan 31, 2020 10:20 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 32016138)
This would be hard to implement as the size requirements is different for each airline. LH max size differs from BA, who differs from U2.
Compliance at T5 has everything to do with BA I think, this is a BA requirements (hence why only T5 has it).

A gate agent has just a few seconds to give you the tag, it has no time to look at the BP to check whether you are in row 1 or an emergency exit row. Moreover due to the variations of aircraft, I am fairly confident no gate staff (and no Flyertalker, even CWS) could find in their memory the right row number for the emergency exit row for the aircraft currently parked at their gate in the couple of seconds they interact to give passengers the yellow tag.

Hence when they suggested it I politely informed them I was "in Row 1 and its an exit row", which on pretty much saved them needing to remember that all shorthaul planes Row 1 is an exit row. To that I was asked to put one on anyway as the bag would need to go under the seat in front of me.

fransknorge Jan 31, 2020 12:10 pm

And why should they trust you ? Just take the tag and follow the safety requirement: put it in the overhead. Only the passenger is making a fuss for a non event.

HIDDY Jan 31, 2020 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer (Post 32012186)
I think the OP is correct about the environmental impact.

The little things do count. They count with crime, they count with Aviation Safety, they count with Waste thrown on roads/pavements, so the nasty little yellow things should be biodegradable.

They could charge £1 for them. That way those who really care about the environment will gladly pay and reuse them. And those who enjoy ripping them off asap will only have themselves to blame for being ripped off.

hungry Jan 31, 2020 2:00 pm

I don’t bring anything big aboard with me because it’s a nuisance and I want the space under the seat in front for my very long legs. I have one tiny fjallraven backpack usually. Then I am expected to give up overhead space because I only bring a small bag and put it in my legroom/foot space. Why? To accommodate the people who bring huge wheels suitcases onboard.

it’s simply unfair..

fluffymitten Jan 31, 2020 4:05 pm

I hear similar thoughts from lots of people in many places, it's not peculiar to BA. Why are they still using plastic straws / stirrers / cups / whatever?

Consider that a company bulk buys a load of stuff. Then it turns out public opinion against said stuff changes. It's still perfectly usable stock, it's just that your customers are now expecting paper straws, bamboo stirrers, cups made of biscuit.

What do you do when you've got an eye on the bottom line? Dump it all and risk a journalist finding a bulk stash of your branded product in a landfill site, or just use it up? The energy to make it has been spent. It would actually be more wasteful to make something and never use it than to use up the stocks you have.

Of course, if BA are still buying heaps of those tags then gripe away! They should be sorting out a replacement.

BOH Feb 1, 2020 12:54 am

Originally Posted by fluffymitten (Post 32018094)

Of course, if BA are still buying heaps of those tags then gripe away! They should be sorting out a replacement.

Or even better, BA sort out their carry-on policy and enforce it properly. I flew U2 a couple of times in the last month and the way they do it is spot on. Only the first 90 rollaboards are allowed on board and then all others go in the hold. Period. And because it IS strictly enforced, everyone knows the rules :tu:

secretplantofightinflation Feb 1, 2020 4:24 am

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 32012177)
Yes we should reuse our yellow tags and also get rid on the pointless good, silver and bronze luggage tags too, perhaps you should book an ET ticket to reduce your environmental impact or consider alternative ways to travel. Using a laptop- no no, that’s not environmentally friendly,, recycle paper and a pencil for you from now on, so get off the Internet- it is using so much carbon!

every little helps