Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Those nasty little yellow cabin baggage tags [environmental impact]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot

Flew back from GVA to LGW last week in Club. As I was about to board, one of the ground staff insisted on a yellow cabin baggage tag being put on my solitary piece of hand baggage (a computer bag) and made a big deal about it absolutely having to go under my seat and not in the overhead bin. Anyway, my irritation at this aside, is it really appropriate that BA is still handing out these heavily laminated non-recyclable bits of rubbish to their passengers at a time when we are all trying to be more environmentally responsible whilst indulging in our irresponsible habit of flying around the globe? Discuss.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I have always thought it would be better to tag the stuff that is allowed to go in the overhead bin and only those items which have been sized and comply are given one.
Also 1 per PAX unless in a bulkhead or exit row.
All not tagged must go under the seat.
To get your tag for the overhead locker you have to present your handbaggage and have it checked before boarding starts.
Would soon stop a lot of people who really take the p...

Just my thoughts

SB
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
I have always thought it would be better to tag the stuff that is allowed to go in the overhead bin and only those items which have been sized and comply are given one.
Also 1 per PAX unless in a bulkhead or exit row.
All not tagged must go under the seat.
To get your tag for the overhead locker you have to present your handbaggage and have it checked before boarding starts.
Would soon stop a lot of people who really take the p...

Just my thoughts

SB
I'm not sure it would. People who take the proverbial are typically frequent travellers who would quickly acquire and then keep tags on all their bags. You could try and make them single use so that they get trashed if you try to move them to another bag but that wouldn't stop them being kept on the original bag for months/years.

You could maybe do it by colour coding labels e.g. having six colours, and each flight is randomly assigned one of those colours but it'd be a lot of extra work. I don't see people getting away with bags sporting a full set of tags.

I'll get my coat. I've spent way too long thinking about this problem!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
It sounds like your grievance isn't really about the environment, but about having to store something under the seat in front... Easy fix: book row 1 or an exit row.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
The area under the seat in front is for my feet.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
You can do your part by keeping the yellow tag on your computer bag and showing it to the agent the next time to try to hand you one. Thanks for looking after our planet and saving space in the overhead for larger items at the same time! <3
awayIgo and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Quite, especially when I've paid for a seat in Club.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500
It sounds like your grievance isn't really about the environment, but about having to store something under the seat in front... Easy fix: book row 1 or an exit row.
In this instance I was indeed irritated by the ground crew, but actually I needed access to the bag so it went on the floor anyway. But no, my grievance is actually about the environment. I'm not exactly Greta Thunberg but all companies need to start thinking differently on this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
BA have made it quite clear for years about the smaller bag going under the seat, even in Club Europe (except exit row). If you don't like it, why fly BA? Why don't their rules apply to you?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
BA have made it quite clear for years about the smaller bag going under the seat, even in Club Europe (except exit row). If you don't like it, why fly BA? Why don't their rules apply to you?
The OP had no smaller bag, this was their only piece.
lhrpete and kimberlyrose like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:53 am

I always remove this tags,
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Truthmonkey
The OP had no smaller bag, this was their only piece.
Understand re the OPs OP, however, I was responding to the two comments I quoted regarding the space under the seat being for feet if Club is paid for.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
if you are in a club seat then just stick it under the empty B or E seat...
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
if you are in a club seat then just stick it under the empty B or E seat...
Or if it is small under the table (whilst there is a table of course) which I've been allowed to do with a small bag
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It makes no sense to tag the underseat bags because the self-important simply remove them. If anything, provide a tag for the larger bags which go overhead. Then a quick scan of the bins for tags reveals the bags which belong underseat and can be dealt with in 15-20 seconds. To the extent that these are regular fliers exempt from the rules because they are so terribly important (not), they will eventually learn.
wrp96, fransknorge and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.