FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Baggage allowance discrepancy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2001957-baggage-allowance-discrepancy.html)

jc94 Dec 31, 2019 7:47 am

Baggage allowance discrepancy

Flying LHR YYZ on a paid PY fare. Clearly, based on what I know, what it said on booking, and the baggage calculator I get 2 x 23kg bags.

However, the app is showing World Traveler Plus and 2 x 32kg bags.
This would be useful as I'm looking at 2 x 24-25kg bags. Or 1x23 and 1x25-26kg. And if it comes to being £65 or leaving a few things behind... Well the extra few only cost about £10.

My outbound only, was a J upgrade via 20k Avios. I can't upgrade the return as it's J1C1D0 and so even if an offer appears (nothing yet)it will likely be insane.
Is this a bug to do with the outbound upgrade (when bags were about 16kg and 19kg), or some weird perk.

Or, should I just head to the airport, and accept they might say dump stuff of cough up.
Or, do BA operate what at least one airline once told me where it's a 23kg allowance, but you can do 25kg just fine, however if it's over that we charge you the difference from 23kg...

Thanks ...

mikeyfly Dec 31, 2019 7:55 am

BAs hand baggage is very generous. In the very unlikely situation where you get an over zealous checkin agent transfer some heavy items into your hand baggage

corporate-wage-slave Dec 31, 2019 8:13 am

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 31892661)
However, the app is showing World Traveler Plus and 2 x 32kg bags.

Are you now or have you ever been a member of the frequent flyer schemes of a oneworld airline?

The actual correct information should be on the e-ticket details, but yes they may allow you a few grams over the 23 kgs, and since you are allowed 46kgs in cabin luggage I'm sure you can probably sort something out or pack more efficiently.

FlyingScientist Dec 31, 2019 8:25 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31892731)
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the frequent flyer schemes of a oneworld airline?

Does USCBP ask this now? :D

jc94 Dec 31, 2019 9:22 am

No status with one world. Close to Bronze a few times with BA and whatever AAs bottom tier is but never quite got there.

Sounds like that 12kg carry on is a myth then? I have a pretty full backpack thanks to things like my portable monitor, dock and all setup. But I can sling a large heavy (5kg) set of books someone gave me into a carrier bag for sure... No issue to have that and a back pack as carry on? And ideally into the overhead in the PY cabin on a 787? I’ve flown AC and AA PY 787s (albeit not in a while) and seem to recall no major issues.

The books I do not want gate checked, they were a gift from someone who bought them then died. They are currently extremely well protected in middle of a suitcase.

corporate-wage-slave Dec 31, 2019 9:28 am

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 31892955)
Sounds like that 12kg carry on is a myth then? I have a pretty full backpack thanks to things like my portable monitor, dock and all setup. But I can sling a large heavy (5kg) set of books someone gave me into a carrier bag for sure... No issue to have that and a back pack as carry on? And ideally into the overhead in the PY cabin on a 787? I’ve flown AC and AA PY 787s (albeit not in a while) and seem to recall no major issues.

Well I am pretty sure the computing era has reach Ontario, still I imagine this is a new version of in-the-cloud technology. But yes, the 12 kgs is a myth, it's actually 46kgs, or rather 23 kgs per carry on bag. If your e-tickets say 32kgs for checked-in luggage that would be easier than lugging all that around - that is what the agent will see on their terminal too.

jc94 Dec 31, 2019 9:42 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31892979)
Well I am pretty sure the computing era has reach Ontario, still I imagine this is a new version of in-the-cloud technology. But yes, the 12 kgs is a myth, it's actually 46kgs, or rather 23 kgs per carry on bag. If your e-tickets say 32kgs for checked-in luggage that would be easier than lugging all that around - that is what the agent will see on their terminal too.

Yeah I work in tech in ON. When I work remote I struggle with just my laptop so I travel with a portable monitor amongst other things too, very handy for training sessions too when I don’t want to share my notes on screen).

I wonder where I saw 12kg, crazy.

Great thanks!

jc94 Dec 31, 2019 10:33 am

Just to show the bizareness of the app ...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c9c5c266a4.png

But the BP does show 2x23kg now.

Edit: Crammed 5kg books into backpack and both suitcases around 23.65. Automated bag drop doesn’t work on a PR so not sure what the airport weight was given the override requirements but nothing was said.

Thanks again all!