Baggage allowance discrepancy

Old Dec 31, 19, 7:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,585
Baggage allowance discrepancy

Flying LHR YYZ on a paid PY fare. Clearly, based on what I know, what it said on booking, and the baggage calculator I get 2 x 23kg bags.

However, the app is showing World Traveler Plus and 2 x 32kg bags.
This would be useful as I'm looking at 2 x 24-25kg bags. Or 1x23 and 1x25-26kg. And if it comes to being £65 or leaving a few things behind... Well the extra few only cost about £10.

My outbound only, was a J upgrade via 20k Avios. I can't upgrade the return as it's J1C1D0 and so even if an offer appears (nothing yet)it will likely be insane.
Is this a bug to do with the outbound upgrade (when bags were about 16kg and 19kg), or some weird perk.

Or, should I just head to the airport, and accept they might say dump stuff of cough up.
Or, do BA operate what at least one airline once told me where it's a 23kg allowance, but you can do 25kg just fine, however if it's over that we charge you the difference from 23kg...

Thanks ...
jc94 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 7:55 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Glos
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 6,187
BAs hand baggage is very generous. In the very unlikely situation where you get an over zealous checkin agent transfer some heavy items into your hand baggage
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 8:13 am
  #3  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 43,337
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
However, the app is showing World Traveler Plus and 2 x 32kg bags.
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the frequent flyer schemes of a oneworld airline?

The actual correct information should be on the e-ticket details, but yes they may allow you a few grams over the 23 kgs, and since you are allowed 46kgs in cabin luggage I'm sure you can probably sort something out or pack more efficiently.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 8:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,598
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the frequent flyer schemes of a oneworld airline?
Does USCBP ask this now?
FlyingScientist is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 9:22 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,585
No status with one world. Close to Bronze a few times with BA and whatever AAs bottom tier is but never quite got there.

Sounds like that 12kg carry on is a myth then? I have a pretty full backpack thanks to things like my portable monitor, dock and all setup. But I can sling a large heavy (5kg) set of books someone gave me into a carrier bag for sure... No issue to have that and a back pack as carry on? And ideally into the overhead in the PY cabin on a 787? Iíve flown AC and AA PY 787s (albeit not in a while) and seem to recall no major issues.

The books I do not want gate checked, they were a gift from someone who bought them then died. They are currently extremely well protected in middle of a suitcase.
jc94 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 9:28 am
  #6  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 43,337
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
Sounds like that 12kg carry on is a myth then? I have a pretty full backpack thanks to things like my portable monitor, dock and all setup. But I can sling a large heavy (5kg) set of books someone gave me into a carrier bag for sure... No issue to have that and a back pack as carry on? And ideally into the overhead in the PY cabin on a 787? I’ve flown AC and AA PY 787s (albeit not in a while) and seem to recall no major issues.
Well I am pretty sure the computing era has reach Ontario, still I imagine this is a new version of in-the-cloud technology. But yes, the 12 kgs is a myth, it's actually 46kgs, or rather 23 kgs per carry on bag. If your e-tickets say 32kgs for checked-in luggage that would be easier than lugging all that around - that is what the agent will see on their terminal too.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 9:42 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,585
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Well I am pretty sure the computing era has reach Ontario, still I imagine this is a new version of in-the-cloud technology. But yes, the 12 kgs is a myth, it's actually 46kgs, or rather 23 kgs per carry on bag. If your e-tickets say 32kgs for checked-in luggage that would be easier than lugging all that around - that is what the agent will see on their terminal too.
Yeah I work in tech in ON. When I work remote I struggle with just my laptop so I travel with a portable monitor amongst other things too, very handy for training sessions too when I donít want to share my notes on screen).

I wonder where I saw 12kg, crazy.

Great thanks!
jc94 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 10:33 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,585
Just to show the bizareness of the app ...



But the BP does show 2x23kg now.

Edit: Crammed 5kg books into backpack and both suitcases around 23.65. Automated bag drop doesnít work on a PR so not sure what the airport weight was given the override requirements but nothing was said.

Thanks again all!

Last edited by jc94; Jan 1, 20 at 9:14 am
jc94 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: