FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   First to NYC, worth an extra £400? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1986727-first-nyc-worth-extra-400-a.html)

andymcdonnell Sep 10, 2019 10:20 am

First to NYC, worth an extra £400?

A number of months ago I booked a BA Hol for 5 nights flights in J and hotel to NYC (around thanksgiving). I subsequently used Avios to upgrade the outbound to F. I’ve now found flights costing an extra £450 which are out and back in F (both BA & AA metal available). They’d give me an extra night in NYC (albeit with a late evening arrival) using the same original hotel.

Is £450 worth it given I’m getting an extra night, F both ways and my Avios back? And if so, I’m thinking out BA, back AA. Thoughts?

LSunbury Sep 10, 2019 10:35 am

Does the £450 include losing your deposit on the original booking?

navylad Sep 10, 2019 10:40 am

I’d say yes on the whole for £400.

the increased Avios balance and TPs

flygod Sep 10, 2019 10:40 am

Yes - if you are a lowly Blue like me and would have to take seat roulette in CW or pay for seat choice.

windowontheAside Sep 10, 2019 10:43 am

If you're looking at F for the return it's a very short overnight flight and if you sleep well enough in J then it seems expensive to me - I wouldn't do it. But then again, if you plan to stay awake and avail yourself of all that F has to offer (albeit most likely in a very quiet and dark cabin) then you may feel it's worth it.

Only you can decide what £450 means to you. Do you also have to pay an extra night at the hotel?

Often1 Sep 10, 2019 10:58 am

Always purely subjective. What does that amount mean to you? I would pay it without looking back. Others see it as excess and would rather spend that sum on a nice weekend trip at another time.

The _Banking_Scot Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am

Hi,

Also in F you get the LHR CCR and if on BA on the return the JFK CCR. If in AA in F you would get Flagship dining in T8.

I would probably go BA both ways ( have not been to the AA t8 flagship dining so cannot compare with BA)

Regards

TBS

killaypirate Sep 10, 2019 11:05 am

Did this 4 months ago, £400 extra for both ways for 1st time in F. Much more comfortable than J and enjoyed it so that in the recent 2 for £2019 paid only £250 each extra to travel in F.

rossmacd Sep 10, 2019 11:32 am

For only F on the return, I personally wouldn't since I would he happy in CW (64A/K in 747 UD) for the very short crossing.

F on an East Coast to LHR night flight is a waste of money/Avios to me personally. Most of the cabin will want to sleep, hence any service you may wish would likely be expedited.

Jed Sep 10, 2019 11:37 am

I would definitely go for F for a return supplement of £400. You get back some of that in extra Avios, earn an extra 140 tier points for the roundtrip, have access to the CCR at both LHR / JFK and most importantly I think F is a significant step above CW, especially if on a 777. On the 747, less of a step up from upper deck, but still worth £200 each way in my opinion.

Andriyko Sep 10, 2019 11:42 am

That is a great deal to upgrade to F on both segments (but only you can decide what that much money mean to you). If you do decide to do it, I'd go with BA both ways.

HIDDY Sep 10, 2019 11:50 am

I'd have no hesitation....wouldn't be too keen on having to spend an extra night in New York though.

Letsdanaway Sep 10, 2019 11:51 am

I would say it’s defintely worth it, considering you get your Avios back and you will get extra Avios! Go for it!

andymcdonnell Sep 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I’ve flown BA F before but only to CPT & LAS so I’ve never experienced the CCR so definitely BA out.

I’ve only ever flown AA J and love the Flagship lounge at JFK. Should I try out their F product and Flagship dining or stick with BA on the way home?

mhy Sep 10, 2019 12:32 pm

If you do a morning flight to JFK like I did just this past Sunday, you can enjoy a serene and quiet CCR and watch the sunrise from the Terrace while the 777/747/A380 come in to T5. I got there at like 5:15am and it was great!

I hear the JFK CCR is even better than the one at LHR (haven’t tried it yet but will in November)

I’d do BA both ways.