First to NYC, worth an extra £400?

Old Sep 10, 19, 10:20 am
Original Poster

First to NYC, worth an extra £400?

A number of months ago I booked a BA Hol for 5 nights flights in J and hotel to NYC (around thanksgiving). I subsequently used Avios to upgrade the outbound to F. Iíve now found flights costing an extra £450 which are out and back in F (both BA & AA metal available). Theyíd give me an extra night in NYC (albeit with a late evening arrival) using the same original hotel.

Is £450 worth it given Iím getting an extra night, F both ways and my Avios back? And if so, Iím thinking out BA, back AA. Thoughts?
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Does the £450 include losing your deposit on the original booking?
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Iíd say yes on the whole for £400.

the increased Avios balance and TPs
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:40 am

Yes - if you are a lowly Blue like me and would have to take seat roulette in CW or pay for seat choice.
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you're looking at F for the return it's a very short overnight flight and if you sleep well enough in J then it seems expensive to me - I wouldn't do it. But then again, if you plan to stay awake and avail yourself of all that F has to offer (albeit most likely in a very quiet and dark cabin) then you may feel it's worth it.

Only you can decide what £450 means to you. Do you also have to pay an extra night at the hotel?
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Always purely subjective. What does that amount mean to you? I would pay it without looking back. Others see it as excess and would rather spend that sum on a nice weekend trip at another time.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also in F you get the LHR CCR and if on BA on the return the JFK CCR. If in AA in F you would get Flagship dining in T8.

I would probably go BA both ways ( have not been to the AA t8 flagship dining so cannot compare with BA)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold
Did this 4 months ago, £400 extra for both ways for 1st time in F. Much more comfortable than J and enjoyed it so that in the recent 2 for £2019 paid only £250 each extra to travel in F.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:32 am

For only F on the return, I personally wouldn't since I would he happy in CW (64A/K in 747 UD) for the very short crossing.

F on an East Coast to LHR night flight is a waste of money/Avios to me personally. Most of the cabin will want to sleep, hence any service you may wish would likely be expedited.
Dambus and ppp909 like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:37 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I would definitely go for F for a return supplement of £400. You get back some of that in extra Avios, earn an extra 140 tier points for the roundtrip, have access to the CCR at both LHR / JFK and most importantly I think F is a significant step above CW, especially if on a 777. On the 747, less of a step up from upper deck, but still worth £200 each way in my opinion.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
That is a great deal to upgrade to F on both segments (but only you can decide what that much money mean to you). If you do decide to do it, I'd go with BA both ways.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I'd have no hesitation....wouldn't be too keen on having to spend an extra night in New York though.
T8191 and TedToToe like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold & VS Gold
I would say itís defintely worth it, considering you get your Avios back and you will get extra Avios! Go for it!
Old Sep 10, 19, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Iíve flown BA F before but only to CPT & LAS so Iíve never experienced the CCR so definitely BA out.

Iíve only ever flown AA J and love the Flagship lounge at JFK. Should I try out their F product and Flagship dining or stick with BA on the way home?
Old Sep 10, 19, 12:32 pm
mhy

Programs: JL / OW Sapphire, Hilton Gold
If you do a morning flight to JFK like I did just this past Sunday, you can enjoy a serene and quiet CCR and watch the sunrise from the Terrace while the 777/747/A380 come in to T5. I got there at like 5:15am and it was great!

I hear the JFK CCR is even better than the one at LHR (havenít tried it yet but will in November)

Iíd do BA both ways.

Last edited by mhy; Sep 11, 19 at 7:47 am

Search this Thread