FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   To upgrade or not to upgrade... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1984345-upgrade-not-upgrade.html)

stealthferret Aug 24, 2019 11:54 am

To upgrade or not to upgrade...

Hi,

So the wife wife and I have return flights booked in WTP in Nov (LHR to SFO rtn).

Total cost £873ea (technically £793ea as we reduced the cost using some Avios).

Logging into the app I can see there’s a limited time offer to upgrade the outbound to Business for £567ea which seems incredibly cheap. Not sure if they’re trying to free up WTP (4 seats left) and fill up Business (5 seats filled)?

Whats the opinion of those that fly more than me? Is it as good a price as it seems? Does it indicate a high liklihood of an upgrade at the desk? Is it probable that an ever better price could come along (based on past experience)?

Also, as an aside, when I did a dummy booking to see what it cost for business on the same flight one-way (£8800 if you wanna know) it said I could select my seat for free? I thought you had to pay to select a seat in business? I wasn’t logged in either.

The _Banking_Scot Aug 24, 2019 11:58 am

Originally Posted by stealthferret (Post 31452330)
Hi,

So the wife wife and I have return flights booked in WTP in Nov (LHR to SFO rtn).

Total cost £873ea (technically £793ea as we reduced the cost using some Avios).

Logging into the app I can see there’s a limited time offer to upgrade the outbound to Business for £567ea which seems incredibly cheap. Not sure if they’re trying to free up WTP (4 seats left) and fill up Business (5 seats filled)?

Whats the opinion of those that fly more than me? Is it as good a price as it seems? Does it indicate a high liklihood of an upgrade at the desk? Is it probable that an ever better price could come along (based on past experience)?

Also, as an aside, when I did a dummy booking to see what it cost for business on the same flight one-way (£8800 if you wanna know) it said I could select my seat for free? I thought you had to pay to select a seat in business? I wasn’t logged in either.

Hi,

I think that GBP 567 to upgrade WTP to CW is reasonable. There is a thread on airpor upgrades wihch may have a list of previous Airport upgrade costs ( SO maight be on the list)

The most expensive fares ( ie like the GBP 8000 ) will allow seat choice for free with no status . The discounted business fares do not allow free seat choice in advance w/o status.

Regards

TBS

stealthferret Aug 24, 2019 12:03 pm

Ah! That’s one of the perks of paying £8k!

I’ll try dig out the upgrade thread.

Thanks!

T8191 Aug 24, 2019 12:09 pm

For flights of that length, CW is “highly desirable” and that seems a reasonable offer.

stealthferret Aug 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Yeah, we did SFO last year in first (Avios 241) so it’s been a bit of a kick in the teeth to have to go WTP!

Last minute wedding to attend and have plans for our Avios and 241 next year so went with what we could afford.

i think we will probably go for it tbh butwanted to solicit the sage advice of the users here first!

Misco60 Aug 24, 2019 12:16 pm

The outbound is a daytime flight: is it really worth almost £1200 extra for the two of you to have a bigger seat and a better meal? (Genuine question - only you can decide).

stealthferret Aug 24, 2019 12:21 pm

Yeah, I made that point, that the real benefit is the bed which is most valuable on the night flight.

That said, it’s an 11hr+ flight landing at 2pm (will feel like 10pm) and then I have to drive 90mins+ to Sacramento so the sleep would be very handy and easier than in WTP.

i guess never having been in WTP doesn’t help as I can’t say how comfortable or not I find it...

windowontheAside Aug 24, 2019 12:37 pm

I wouldn't pay over a grand (for two) to upgrade a daytime flight, but then I find WTP pretty comfortable as a seat and flying as a pair you can chat, or even share a movie.

But then much depends on what the money means to you. No-one else can help you with that.

T8191 Aug 24, 2019 12:39 pm

Long time since I did l/h down the back, and at my age I/we wouldn’t consider ever doing it!

We have a fairly simple LHR-IAD (after a UK night-stop) in a week or so, and the one thing always in my mind is that I then have to navigate the Washington Beltway etc. for about 45 minutes. I know the area and the roads well (or 23rd visit), but that doesn’t stop the Beltway being manic. Being rested and alert is critical to my thinking.

Bellerina Aug 25, 2019 8:20 am

Having done the SFO-LHR flight many times, I wouldn’t personally pay $1k to upgrade both from WTP to CW for the day flight. I’d pay to pick my seat in WTP, but with two of you, I’m assuming you would be stuck in the two middle seats, so at least one will have aisle access.
Then again I’m used to seats similar to WTP for long US domestic cross country flights.

flyer_tom Aug 25, 2019 8:32 am

To me, it sounds like a reasonable deal and a price I would pay.

Whilst it’s a daytime flight, I always try and get a few hours sleep when heading TATL to the Western side of America. I find this helps with my jet lag and I’m not completely knackered at about 7pm and wanting to fall asleep wherever I am! So for me, it’d be worth it.

EDIwanderer Aug 25, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by stealthferret (Post 31452379)

Last minute wedding to attend and have plans for our Avios and 241 next year so went with what we could afford.

*sarcasm mode* Best wishes to the parents-to-be!

TTmex Aug 25, 2019 1:12 pm

I'd say that's a very reasonable offer. Factor in the lounge and some additional TPs as well, plus the length of the flight. I'd cough up that kind of money i think, but last time I flew a similar length flight they wanted 839 quid, that on top of the 1500 usd already forked out for the WTP ticket. I passed. :)

RB211 Aug 25, 2019 5:56 pm

I fly between LHR and SFO quite often (although maybe not as often as some) and if one has the money, I would recommend upgrading to CW whenever possible (in either direction.) It's a longish flight, and as stated above a few hours sleep on the outbound definitely helps with timezone adjustment, I find.

rb211.

DoubleDot Aug 26, 2019 12:46 am

I would say that the better investment on the way out to SFO is an airport hotel overnight. Driving on the i-80 when tired is not a good move IMHO, so I overnight every time now and feel that the 2.5 hour drive is a lot safer. Don't forget you will wake really early and leaving at 5:30 or 6am the roads are really empty.