FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   To upgrade or not to upgrade... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1984345-upgrade-not-upgrade.html)

Cymro Aug 26, 2019 3:08 am

It's a decent deal but you just don't get the benefit of it on a day flight. Night flight, I'd be all over it!

Starship73 Aug 26, 2019 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 31457136)
It's a decent deal but you just don't get the benefit of it on a day flight. Night flight, I'd be all over it!

Each to their own I guess... I actually tend to take the opposite view and like to enjoy the benefits of an upgrade and the extra comfort it offers during a day flight, rather than ‘wasting’ it by being asleep. That said I’d obviously still prefer to be in a better seat for a night flight too - but I don’t see the value proposition to be as high as for a daytime upgrade. Maybe I’m in the minority!

Cymro Aug 26, 2019 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Starship73 (Post 31457163)

Each to their own I guess... I actually tend to take the opposite view and like to enjoy the benefits of an upgrade and the extra comfort it offers during a day flight, rather than ‘wasting’ it by being asleep. That said I’d obviously still prefer to be in a better seat for a night flight too - but I don’t see the value proposition to be as high as for a daytime upgrade. Maybe I’m in the minority!

For me it comes down to the fact that, if you can get off a plane and pour yourself into an airport hotel on a day flight, any discomfort associated with flying economy ends with the flight. On an overnight filght, being in business class makes the next three days much more productive. But not everyone responds to jetlag or a lack of sleep in the same way.

vintagepilot Aug 26, 2019 3:23 am

This is the relevant thread I think: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...19-thread.html

Your offer looks similar to previous ones. I guess you would get club check-in, fast-track security, lounge(s), priority boarding (not that you need it in CW), more TPs (it's a slippery slope and you would be on the way to bronze!), more avios AND the better seat and service. And, I would plan to stay overnight at the airport having taken advantage of the lounge and CW drinks service!

T8191 Aug 26, 2019 3:24 am

These days I take any opportunity to sleep, so whether I'm heading East or West, Day or Night, I shall be putting my seat into horizontal mode. ;)

Blumie Aug 26, 2019 5:05 am

Obviously different people have different priorities. I’d be hitting that bid all day (and night) long.

stealthferret Aug 26, 2019 9:40 am

Good mix of pros and cons there guys! Doesn’t help making the decision but gives me things to consider.

We’re in the Sofitel T5 the night before and the flight leaves at 10.45am so whilst the lounge is a plus, no lounge isn’t an issue as we will just check out later.

I’m not a drinker so that’s not a consideration, and we get two bags, really it just comes down to comfort. I’ve flown to LA in Economy before and survived so my gut says ‘save the cash’ and just make the best of WTP.

It’s the drive (as pointed out by a few people) that makes me second guess and I wonder if a few hours proper lie-flat sleep is sensible - or should I say going to make enough of a difference to warrant £1100+ for the two of us...

Only I can make that call but I appreciate the input!

Cymro Aug 26, 2019 9:44 am

Do you need to be in Sacramento that evening, or were you just planning to be there? I'd be jetlagged and want to be up at 5 a.m. the next morning, so I'd book a hotel at SFO, pick up my car, drive there and then leave at dark o'clock for a full day there. (I know this because I'm doing precisely that, albeit to Napa rather than Sacramento - but same difference - in November, flying WTP).

stealthferret Aug 26, 2019 10:07 am

We’re meeting the wife’s parents/uncle & aunt at SFO (they’re on Virgin) and taking two cars up, we could get a hotel but we’ve accomodation already arranged for the trip. Plus since we land about 3pm it seems a waste of an evening to just mooch about SFO or have all the trouble of heading into San Fran for the sake of a few hours. I think generally people just want to get up there and ready for the wedding.

Thinking on further spouses are added as free 2nd drivers on the hire cars so we could switch up the driving - makes it less tiring. In which case we should be fine with whatever napping we manage on the plane.

Then again it’s her 40th birthday in December so maybe I just book business anyway and not tell her...