FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Am I DYKWIA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1983656-am-i-dykwia.html)

Vasco Pridat Aug 19, 2019 1:42 pm

Am I DYKWIA?

I bought a CE ticket from gatwick to Rome.. First time for years from gatwick and I was totally impressed by the f lounge.. It was kinda busy when I got there at one.. But cleared by 2 and they had amazing food.. The paté was impressive.. Crayfish salad Ver nice.. Jepeer rose. A good way to start a journey.. On an a319.. Probably pretty old.. Most legroom ever in 1c..very friendly and attentive staff.. But.. Either there was no curtain. Or they didn't close it.
So people from y came up front to use the loo.. People were standing next to me waiting? I didn't like that traffic to much.. I didn't say anything.. But last week on AA had the same and thought it was an American thing..? What do u think?
I thought the front wc is for club?

rickg523 Aug 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Going to the washroom is an American thing?
Do you know the condition of the other washroom?
No toilet on an airplane is reserved exclusively for any cabin. Though many in premium wish it were so, it isn't

LondonAndy Aug 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31433312)
No toilet on an airplane is reserved exclusively for any cabin. Though many in premium wish it were so, it isn't

Well, as recently as this week when I was flying the cabin crew sent someone from J back to their section of the plane to use the toilet in their cabin. I guess the curtain is there for a reason?

UKtravelbear Aug 19, 2019 2:28 pm

if you had said something whilst waving your arms whilst shouting then yes you would have been DYKWIA. But you didn't so you aren't

CC normally monitor the queue so it doesn't disturb CE pax too much though.

Vasco Pridat Aug 19, 2019 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31433434)
if you had said something whilst waving your arms whilst shouting then yes you would have been DYKWIA. But you didn't so you aren't

CC normally monitor the queue so it doesn't disturb CE pax too much though.

The question is.. Should I have said something? I mean it didn't bother the living daylights outa me.. But of course it is annoying when people start queuing next to your seat and other club people had to wait or walk back to their seats. I am usually in 1c and I have never experienced it before.. Until last week on that AA flight.. And now even worse on this one.

eugegall Aug 19, 2019 2:46 pm

I've been on a CE flight twice in recent months where the crew actively kept stopping people in Y using the front toilet so maybe it is exclusive to the CE cabin but some crew can't be bothered to police it?

krispy84 Aug 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat (Post 31433490)
The question is.. Should I have said something? I mean it didn't bother the living daylights outa me.. But of course it is annoying when people start queuing next to your seat and other club people had to wait or walk back to their seats. I am usually in 1c and I have never experienced it before.. Until last week on that AA flight.. And now even worse on this one.

“Should you have said something?”
I wouldn’t, but you’re not out of order if you do.

I think CC should enforce the toilet cabin difference, and it’s really annoying when they don’t, but it’s something that I chose not to mention. BoB trolleys, smaller number of toilets and densified cabins all make things far less clear than they were before.

My CE seats are 1C or 1D, I stick my leg out to indicate where my space is in these situations.

sunshinebob Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Yes its annoying , especially after a long haul and I am trying to get some sleep only to be bothered with queues (and kids) for what seems like the entire flight home. I sit in 1c as my wife is in 1a.

I understand people need to pee but Iberia actively send Y passengers away and wont suffer it under any circumstance so it is doable. Y passengers dont come in the lounge to use the lavatories so why is it so much harder to divide things at 30,000 feet?

This may sound overly grumpy but sometimes a man just needs a kip and some peace n quiet. I dont want pepper bleeding pig blearing on a tablet and streams of people informing each other that " this is how the other half live " whilst standing next to me chatting about thier holiday in Marbs.....

rickg523 Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 31433558)

“Should you have said something?”
I wouldn’t, but you’re not out of order if you do.

I think CC should enforce the toilet cabin difference, and it’s really annoying when they don’t, but it’s something that I chose not to mention. BoB trolleys, smaller number of toilets and densified cabins all make things far less clear than they were before.

My CE seats are 1C or 1D, I stick my leg out to indicate where my space is in these situations.

And that A319 configuration - one toilet nose and tail - makes for the worst of all worlds.

Bellerina Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Alaska asks people to use the lavatory for their assigned cabin and also uses the excuses that a line cannot form at the forward lavatory for security purposes (which doesn't seem too crazy as I wouldn't want a queue hiding activities of someone trying to get into the cockpit).
However, I don't feel like I actually this rule (really a request) enforced. Personally, I wouldn't have said something on the flight, but maybe on some feedback questionnaires/forms. The fact that there is a better loo to person ratio in CE and therefore less queuing is one of the perks.

George K Aug 19, 2019 3:05 pm

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the CE toilet is fair game if BoB trolley is blocking the one at the back, regardless of the status of the curtain... I have always 'stayed in my lane' myself, but have always kept this in mind for (so far unneeded) genuine emergencies.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 19, 2019 3:07 pm

A hefty minority of LGW aircraft don't have curtain dividers between CE and ET, some aircraft don't have all 3 curtain components. This is to do with the ceiling layout - and sometimes the row positioning of CE - on the older LGW aircraft. Unless there is a full set of curtains then it's very difficult to prevent people using the forward WC, particularly on 3 crew A319 aircraft when the BoB trolley is in service. The irony is that there are generally more WCs per 100 passengers on the LGW aircraft than on LHR, so in theory less need to use the forward WCs. If the queue is disturbing you in the aisle seats then either consider moving to a window seat or mention it to the CSM, who may be able to position the queue better.

tuonopepper Aug 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by sunshinebob (Post 31433562)
Yes its annoying , especially after a long haul and I am trying to get some sleep only to be bothered with queues (and kids) for what seems like the entire flight home. I sit in 1c as my wife is in 1a.

I understand people need to pee but Iberia actively send Y passengers away and wont suffer it under any circumstance so it is doable. Y passengers dont come in the lounge to use the lavatories so why is it so much harder to divide things at 30,000 feet?

This may sound overly grumpy but sometimes a man just needs a kip and some peace n quiet. I dont want pepper bleeding pig blearing on a tablet and streams of people informing each other that " this is how the other half live " whilst standing next to me chatting about thier holiday in Marbs.....

Not saying you should have to, I can see reasons to enforce CE toilet exclusivity and reasons not to, but playing devils advocate, if it bothers you, why not take 3A and 3C?

krispy84 Aug 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31433576)
If the queue is disturbing you in the aisle seats then either consider moving to a window seat or mention it to the CSM, who may be able to position the queue better.

Now come on CWS, this really shouldn’t be necessary for a passenger in CE. Where is the CSM’s monitoring of the cabin?

HIDDY Aug 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Seem to remember SAS not segregating the toffs from the minions on short haul flights....especially when it came to using the lav. At least they never bothered on the flights I used to take. Then again, the Scandinavians don't bother about such things anyway.