FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Am I DYKWIA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1983656-am-i-dykwia.html)

South London Bon Viveur Aug 19, 2019 4:38 pm

It can be a minor irritation if you are trying to enjoy the peace and quiet and supposed exclusivity of the cabin. Especially if there is a queue. Can't say I've noticed it very often though, and most BA crew do send passengers back in my experience, certainly on aircraft with dividers and curtains.

I don't think the OP is DYKWIA for expressing annoyance. However I don't think it would have been appropriate to demand the passengers use another toilet. That would have been over the top. It's for the CC to police this. And as someone above has said, there may be instances where the trolley is blocking access to the rear toilet. If someone needs to go they need to go.

cpdc1030 Aug 19, 2019 9:09 pm

In BA's config, there is only a single lav for upwards of 120 pax on the A319, as they removed the second rear lav with the reconfigured cabin. I think you need to take this into consideration.

SKT-DK Aug 19, 2019 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 31433766)
Seem to remember SAS not segregating the toffs from the minions on short haul flights....especially when it came to using the lav. At least they never bothered on the flights I used to take. Then again, the Scandinavians don't bother about such things anyway.

Very true, and it is bloody annoying - often see endless queues of 5+ people waiting constantly throughout the flight. Heck, I have even returned from the lavatory myself only to find someone sitting in my seat (where my meal and drinks were on the table!). That person was turfed out by the crew though...

Lefly Aug 19, 2019 10:36 pm

I don't mind too much. If one needs the bathroom, he/she need the bathroom.

KeaneJohn Aug 19, 2019 10:56 pm

I can’t see anywhere that advertises an exclusive toilet for use in Club Europe.

Rome is a a medium length flight and there’s a chance people will need to use the toilet. If the back is being used or there’s a trolley then I don’t see any problem in using the front bathroom.

American carriers tend tend to announce passengers should stick to their ticketed cabin and not congregate at the toilets. This seems to be for security.

orbitmic Aug 20, 2019 12:20 am

This subject pops up frequently and there are lots of existing threads on it. Crews have confirmed that on ba shorthaul, there is no blanket rule to limit people to using the toilet in their cabin or prevent them from crossing the curtain unlike us airlines.

crew logically use discretion and usually do it well. If you have an a319 cabin with C going all the way to row 10 and they are serving the meals, crew will logically ask y pax to go to the back. If the cabin goes to row 4 and the c service is complete while trolley is blocking the corridors in y, they will logically tell y pax to go to the front.

kaizenflying Aug 20, 2019 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat (Post 31433269)
I bought a CE ticket from gatwick to Rome.. First time for years from gatwick and I was totally impressed by the f lounge.. It was kinda busy when I got there at one.. But cleared by 2 and they had amazing food.. The paté was impressive.. Crayfish salad Ver nice.. Jepeer rose. A good way to start a journey.. On an a319.. Probably pretty old.. Most legroom ever in 1c..very friendly and attentive staff.. But.. Either there was no curtain. Or they didn't close it.
So people from y came up front to use the loo.. People were standing next to me waiting? I didn't like that traffic to much.. I didn't say anything.. But last week on AA had the same and thought it was an American thing..? What do u think?
I thought the front wc is for club?

Many CE passengers assume the front toilet is exclusively for CE. The crew don’t announce that Y passengers should use the rear toilets and there is nothing in the product blurb to suggest CE has its own exclusive toilet facilities. I’d therefore question the assumption and say that the front toilet is for anyone. I frequently travel CE and it really doesn’t bother me who uses the front facility.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ss/club-europe

pythonisman Aug 20, 2019 12:53 am

Originally Posted by kaizenflying (Post 31434818)
The crew don’t announce that Y passengers should use the rear toilets

I could have sworn on a few flights recently the crew have said "the toilet in the front is reserved for Club Europe passengers only" during the announcement where they introduce BoB etc. It may not be the service standard though.

In American domestic business/'F' when seemingly the whole cabin come to use the front loo it's pretty annoying, it happens, but seemingly less on BA short haul.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 20, 2019 1:28 am

Originally Posted by pythonisman (Post 31434864)
I could have sworn on a few flights recently the crew have said "the toilet in the front is reserved for Club Europe passengers only" during the announcement where they introduce BoB etc. It may not be the service standard though.

I don't think I've heard the announcement exactly as that, it's more like "there are toilets at the front for those travelling in Club Europe, and also at the rear of the aircraft for our passengers in euro traveller". I don't think the word "only" creeps in to this. Not that everyone listens to these announcements, as I've seen in the EC261 thread. But yes, regardless, some pragmatism is needed, particularly on the longer CE services from LHR with the newer aircraft if they are fully loaded.

PUCCI GALORE Aug 20, 2019 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat (Post 31433269)
I bought a CE ticket from gatwick to Rome.. First time for years from gatwick and I was totally impressed by the f lounge.. It was kinda busy when I got there at one.. But cleared by 2 and they had amazing food.. The paté was impressive.. Crayfish salad Ver nice.. Jepeer rose. A good way to start a journey.. On an a319.. Probably pretty old.. Most legroom ever in 1c..very friendly and attentive staff.. But.. Either there was no curtain. Or they didn't close it.
So people from y came up front to use the loo.. People were standing next to me waiting? I didn't like that traffic to much.. I didn't say anything.. But last week on AA had the same and thought it was an American thing..? What do u think?
I thought the front wc is for club?

Hiya Vasco

If you have to ask am I DYKWIA, then the chances are that you are not. Indeed, if you conducted yourself as you say, then indeed you are practically the antithesis of this.

You do get flights where where there is a constant stream of people to the lavatory in CE. When you are sitting up the front, it is hard to know whether people have come through the cabin. Not having any kind of curtain makes this harder to control and indeed, you can and should tell the crew that having people standing right beside you is intensely irritation I would. The worst are those ex-Wizzair A 320s which have no front bulkhead. People congregate there, and Ive asked for the crew to deal with this before now if I’m in 1C. This is not DYKWIA but fortunately whilst respecting others and indeed thappy to be affable to my fellow passengers ; their opinions of me are, unless they are paying my fare, irrelevant.

Vasco Pridat Aug 20, 2019 2:03 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31433576)
A hefty minority of LGW aircraft don't have curtain dividers between CE and ET, some aircraft don't have all 3 curtain components. This is to do with the ceiling layout - and sometimes the row positioning of CE - on the older LGW aircraft. Unless there is a full set of curtains then it's very difficult to prevent people using the forward WC, particularly on 3 crew A319 aircraft when the BoB trolley is in service. The irony is that there are generally more WCs per 100 passengers on the LGW aircraft than on LHR, so in theory less need to use the forward WCs.

That was kinda my feeling.. I guess I know quite a heap of long haul equipment but had never been on this kind of aircraft. I used to never pay attention what it was and still don't really care.. So at least this kind of a319 config I had never been on. It appeared to be old. Not as worn. But the seats weren't the usual modern thin ones but they were bigger, the colors of the material were a bit different and I enjoyed having more leg room in the bulkhead.
So I guess there was no curtains at all to be closed.
And that's why I had never experienced this situation before...
Nevertheless I still have the feeling if people pay for an exclusive ce experience that's what they should get... And myself I remember I would never use the ce toilet but I guess that's how I was brought up.
I remember a nice story from a fellow who was on the old Lh first.. When he got up to use the toilet the fa jumped in front of him and said in a stiff German unlocking the door.. Sorry sir I haaaave to lock it.. The business class tends to come up otherwise. 🔒😂

corporate-wage-slave Aug 20, 2019 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat (Post 31434979)
. But the seats weren't the usual modern thin ones but they were bigger, the colors of the material were a bit different and I enjoyed having more leg room in the bulkhead.
So I guess there was no curtains at all to be closed.

Yes, that's the 144 seater former BMI set of aircraft which ended up at LGW after a limited refit to something approximating the then BA seating standard. So they are fairly spacious but there probably wasn't a runner on the ceiling for the Club curtain to sit on.

1010101 Aug 20, 2019 3:28 am

Originally Posted by George K (Post 31433570)
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the CE toilet is fair game if BoB trolley is blocking the one at the back, regardless of the status of the curtain... I have always 'stayed in my lane' myself, but have always kept this in mind for (so far unneeded) genuine emergencies.

On my last ET flight i started walking back and was told by the crew coming the other way to use the front toilet as it was busy at the back. I don't think it's a huge problem personally, if BA will insist on cutting their service down then something has to give.

Yeoman5 Aug 20, 2019 7:09 am

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31433563)
And that A319 configuration - one toilet nose and tail - makes for the worst of all worlds.

I’m sure it’s AA that state it is an FAA regulation that passengers use the toilets for their cabin. They certainly police the crowd when necessary.

MADPhil Aug 20, 2019 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Yeoman5 (Post 31435601)
I’m sure it’s AA that state it is an FAA regulation that passengers use the toilets for their cabin. They certainly police the crowd when necessary.

They do say that, quoting FAA or TSA, on international flights to/from the US but generally not on domestics.