FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Go around BA 1432 LHR-EDI 15th August (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1983223-go-around-ba-1432-lhr-edi-15th-august.html)

squeeler Aug 16, 2019 7:19 am

Go around BA 1432 LHR-EDI 15th August

I was on the above flight yesterday when we had a go-around on arrival. What was a first for me was that the wheels were down on the runway when we returned to the air. I have had this happen at various times in final approach, but never after touch down. The CSD came on the tannoy fairly quickly, telling us that the captain had not completed the landing and that we should remain seated with belts on. We made a couple of turns and gained some height. The captain came on telling us that we were sequenced to land and that we would touch down in 15 minutes. When we did land, he came on, apologising for the late arrival, explaining that there were ATC delays in the area. There was no explanation for the aborted landing, it was as if it had never happened. The flight crew did not come out of the cockpit when we disembarked. I tweeted BA and again got no explanation.
I noticed when we originally landed that we seemed a long way down the runway; we were landing towards the west and we were well beyond the end of the terminal when the wheels touched down. I have no idea if this was real or not.
Incidentally, one passenger was quite poorly after the first attempt, with crew scurrying around getting biohazard bags, and a characteristic aroma filling the cabin. It did cross my mind that this may have been the aircraft featured in this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...usting-ba.html

jeremyBA Aug 16, 2019 7:29 am

What do you want them to say ?

if the landing is not looking right or atc ask you to you go around. It is a standard procedure and whilst not that common per se is not an emergency or anything else.

Landing long? Possible but unlikely on an ils approach. If the approach was not stable they would have abandoned it before hand.

Atc may have asked. Plane not make the exit etc.

Either way I can’t see ba owe anyone an explanation and the people you are asking will have no insite as to what happened given it was nothing out of the ordinary

corporate-wage-slave Aug 16, 2019 7:32 am

I was in EDI yesterday and it was particularly gusty where I was, in that soul-less business park at South Gyle. I noticed the scran van man's sign went flying off towards Morrisons.

balowlyblue Aug 16, 2019 7:40 am

Originally Posted by squeeler (Post 31422532)
the captain had not completed the landing

Certainly a rather interesting form of words...

KARFA Aug 16, 2019 7:41 am

I have had a rejected landing before. The go-around was initiated just before we touched down but obviously arresting the descent and going up is not instantaneous so we did briefly touch. That was actually my first ever go-around. It happens sometimes.

Just needs a bad gust to cause you to float and start looking like you miss the touch down zone. The pilots in my case did explain once we were back up and I had a chat after just to mark the event of my first go-around. From cws's post it sounds like the wind at EDI yesterday could have been a potential factor.

Deltus Aug 16, 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by balowlyblue (Post 31422600)

You'd like to hope that such an announcement would be unnecessary, but you never know with the lack of situational awareness shown by some morons in a hurry these days...

squeeler Aug 16, 2019 8:22 am

Originally Posted by balowlyblue (Post 31422600)

Once we were taking off from Heathrow and stopped very abruptly. Once we were off the runway, the captain came on and said "We rejected that take off".

gcuk Aug 16, 2019 8:22 am

I can recall 7 or 8 go arounds, two of which were in GIB for the Do. A commercial pilot friend of mine ranks 'the aircraft in front of us failed to vacate the runway' as one of the worlds great untruths. He jokes that a literal translation of the phrase is 'new first officer messed up the approach' :)
The biggest criticism is usually that the pilots didn't communicate with the pax during the go around but given they are reconfiguring the aircraft to take off rather than land, I'm guessing it's a very busy time in the cockpit. Full marks to the cabin crew who take over and talk to the pax to reassure them that go arounds are surprisingly routine, albeit a little alarming the first time.

KeaneJohn Aug 16, 2019 8:34 am

Apart from the 2 go arounds for the Gibraltar do where we were nowhere near the ground I had my third go around this year at London City last month.

We were coming in over the thames estuary Nd everything seemed normal and we bounced off the runway a couple of times then went roaring back into the air. The cabin crew again said the captain hadn’t been able to complete the landing and asked us to remain seated, as we were on the hold the captain said we were going to fast and reached the end of the landing zone and joked there wasn’t enough runway left.

When we did land the greeting was welcome back to London City Airport....

T8191 Aug 16, 2019 8:38 am

I will always choose a go-around or rejected take-off over “press-on-itis” from the Flight Deck. ;)

squeeler Aug 16, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31422841)
I will always choose a go-around or rejected take-off over “press-on-itis” from the Flight Deck. ;)

I had tor read that twice, second time with glasses on! :cool:;)

PETER01 Aug 16, 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31422841)

Thinking " Press-on-itis" was an abbreviation for some sort of ATC/Aviation Pilot speak for a button or something to be pressed :rolleyes: I wondered what "itis" meant and found this which may explain it to us non qualified aviation geeks. I get the simpleness of the word now of course! :D

This Briefing Note (BN) takes a look at how a psychological phenomenon called press-on-itis is related to incidents and accidents. Press-on-itis is simply the decision to continue to the planned destination or toward the planned goal even when significantly less risky alternatives exist. Press-on-itis is also known as “get-home-itis,” “hurry syndrome,” “plan continuation” and “goal fixation.” No matter what it is called, press-on-itis can present a serious problem to flight safety. It is important for a pilot to understand the causes of press-on-itis and to recognize when he or she is suffering from the condition. Knowing the causes and recognizing the symptoms will allow a pilot to recover before anything goes terribly wrong.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/...itis_(OGHFA_BN)

Oxon Flyer Aug 16, 2019 9:07 am

Originally Posted by jeremyBA (Post 31422561)
What do you want them to say ?

I think the OP is asking for our comment on whether it’s unusual for BA flight deck crew to pointedly not mention / explain a go-around to the passengers at any subsequent point before disembarkation.

JamieABZ Aug 16, 2019 9:54 am

I've had 4 go-arounds - all within a 2 and a half year period so that's my quota up now thank you!
One was a touch-and-go at Aberdeen and we too had silence - unsurprisingly - from the flight deck for a while, then the captain told us that due to the length of the runway, the fact it was a very calm evening and the aircraft was going a tad fast, we had to go up again after touching the runway. There were screams behind me then silence, and on disembarkation the cabin crew said that it was the whole crew's first real one! Very well handled and explained.
I now know what my final word on this earth will be!

PETER01 Aug 16, 2019 9:56 am

Originally Posted by JamieABZ (Post 31423128)
I've had 4 go-arounds - all within a 2 and a half year period so that's my quota up now thank you!
One was a touch-and-go at Aberdeen and we too had silence - unsurprisingly - from the flight deck for a while, then the captain told us that due to the length of the runway, the fact it was a very calm evening and the aircraft was going a tad fast, we had to go up again after touching the runway. There were screams behind me then silence, and on disembarkation the cabin crew said that it was the whole crew's first real one! Very well handled and explained.

I now know what my final word on this earth will be!

Flyertaaaaaaalk?

:p