Disgusting BA

Old Yesterday, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
Disgusting BA

So after 5 years not flying BA I tried again yesterday on a flight with colleagues. Went to sit on my assigned 18A seat from LHR-GVA and found out that my seat smelled like puke..Tried to find out and found out that the back of my seat stinked and that the seatbelt still had a lot of vomit on it.

Flight wasnt full and both I and 19A (similar problem although I think she only complained of the smell) and we were quickly reassigned (i.e after full boarding).

Ok I get that planes have to turn around quickly but on a a flight that is not full how can you not have procedures to cross out seats such as those unless you are a totally disgusting airline.

Wont even bother complaining to customer relations (not to get compensation but for them to change procedures) given the traditional BA customer relations.
Old Yesterday, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheHak View Post
So after 5 years not flying BA I tried again yesterday on a flight with colleagues. Went to sit on my assigned 18A seat from LHR-GVA and found out that my seat smelled like puke..Tried to find out and found out that the back of my seat stinked and that the seatbelt still had a lot of vomit on it.

Flight wasnt full and both I and 19A (similar problem although I think she only complained of the smell) and we were quickly reassigned (i.e after full boarding).

Ok I get that planes have to turn around quickly but on a a flight that is not full how can you not have procedures to cross out seats such as those unless you are a totally disgusting airline.

Wont even bother complaining to customer relations (not to get compensation but for them to change procedures) given the traditional BA customer relations.
Does that mean you’ve re-awarded yourself your ‘BA NON flyer’ status as detailed in your profile, for another five years?
Old Yesterday, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirBnb 700x Platinum, AC (never again)
Neither the cleaning staff (will leave that for another thread) nor you noticed at first glance that there was vomit on the seat...
Pretty sure the crew didn't know about this and so hadn't flagged up the issue / blocked out the seats.

Gross either way, but to suggest some negligence on the crew to not block out an issue they didn't know about is a bit daft.

Raise it was CR as each plane should get a better one-over by cleaners / crew... BA management don't know unless you raise it.
Old Yesterday, 2:33 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Be thankful the flight wasn't full and you offered gloves to clean it yourself or thrown of the plane completely!

I wouldn't expect BA crew to check every seat on short hauls- they aren't a no frills carrier where the crew do the cleaning as well. If it had been a long haul then I would have been more annoyed, and if they couldn't move me to another seat, then I'd be livid too.
nancypants likes this.
Old Yesterday, 3:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The OP has the most extraordinary bad luck in their travel arrangements but this case could have happened on any airline. This hasn't happened to me, but I have seen similar incidents affect nearby passengers. What happens is that someone is sick in their seat - pretty unusual on shorthaul - typically it would be during descent or when there is a long queue for the WC, and may well have been a young child. The sick bag is then placed into the seat back pocket, the cabin crew probably not informed by the passenger or their guardians, out of embarrassment. During shorthaul turnarounds it is unrealistic to expect that all of the 180 pockets is carefully checked in the 12 minutes (or less) that the cleaning crews have between flights, for the rare chance that something like this has happened. It should have been noticed at the end of day clean. Maybe they should have more time, but they are up against airlines that don't get any cleaning crews onboard during turnarounds and the evidence is that people prefer low fares to high. It would helped enormously if the sick passenger had made themselves known to the cabin crew, it was just an accident, nobody does this intentionally.

The same scenario would have happened on Swiss or easyJet, the two other airlines on this route, except at easyJet they would not have had the option to get the cleaners back on again. On all 3 airlines the pragmatic answer is to move someone to another seat, I hope the cabin crew were professional and apologetic to the OP.
Old Yesterday, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador

Similar scenario happened to me on a Lufthansa flight recently. Crew hadn't noticed during the turnaround but moved me to another seat, same outcome as you. I didn't feel the need for an overly dramatic social media post, this kind of thing happens on all airlines.
dddc, AlanA, SpeedbirdLHR and 4 others like this.
Old Yesterday, 5:41 am

The only positive outcome is that there was a free seat elsewhere not covered in vomit. It could've been worse...

Granted that turnarounds are short and cleaners have limited time, such a thing is not acceptable. Report it.

Yes it's too late to do anything about it, but it's a hygiene issue.

Old Yesterday, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
I am in no way blaming the crew, I did sit in the seat so it was not outright obvious and I am no germaphobe so dont inspect seats. But smell was obvious the second I was seated.

I am however blaming BA and its procedures.

Vomit must happen fairly often in a plane. I assume the previous crew must have noticed and I just think there should be a procedure that in the case of a quick turnaround the plane should be cleaned swiftly and the seats impacted should be marked as unusable UNTIL a complete clean can be operated. Sounds like this is just common sense for any airline short of the really filthy disgusting airlines such as BA.
Old Yesterday, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The OP has the most extraordinary bad luck in their travel arrangements but this case could have happened on any airline. This hasn't happened to me, but I have seen similar incidents affect nearby passengers. What happens is that someone is sick in their seat - pretty unusual on shorthaul - typically it would be during descent or when there is a long queue for the WC, and may well have been a young child. The sick bag is then placed into the seat back pocket, the cabin crew probably not informed by the passenger or their guardians, out of embarrassment. During shorthaul turnarounds it is unrealistic to expect that all of the 180 pockets is carefully checked in the 12 minutes (or less) that the cleaning crews have between flights, for the rare chance that something like this has happened. It should have been noticed at the end of day clean. Maybe they should have more time, but they are up against airlines that don't get any cleaning crews onboard during turnarounds and the evidence is that people prefer low fares to high. It would helped enormously if the sick passenger had made themselves known to the cabin crew, it was just an accident, nobody does this intentionally.

The same scenario would have happened on Swiss or easyJet, the two other airlines on this route, except at easyJet they would not have had the option to get the cleaners back on again. On all 3 airlines the pragmatic answer is to move someone to another seat, I hope the cabin crew were professional and apologetic to the OP.
The crew was apologetic and professional but also not shocked and I assume this happens fairly often. Not the sick bag given there was a lot of fresh vomit in the seat belt which was the part I really felt was gross.
Old Yesterday, 5:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I am in no way blaming the crew, I did sit in the seat so it was not outright obvious and I am no germaphobe so dont inspect seats. But smell was obvious the second I was seated.

I am however blaming BA and its procedures.

Vomit must happen fairly often in a plane. I assume the previous crew must have noticed and I just think there should be a procedure that in the case of a quick turnaround the plane should be cleaned swiftly and the seats impacted should be marked as unusable UNTIL a complete clean can be operated. Sounds like this is just common sense for any airline short of the really filthy disgusting airlines such as BA.
And Lufthansa it seems. It looks like you haven’t forgiven BA for the treatment you received all those years ago?
argonath likes this.
Old Yesterday, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avis PC, (Hilton, Accor, SPG, Radisson) Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
It had been a while since we hadn't had a vomit-on-my-seat story. Next up, why do I need to pay to book my seat in J?
nancypants likes this.
Old Yesterday, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Would be highly surprised this happened on LH. Fact: BA doesnt care .... if their planes are filthy and they are. Their toilets are awlays the worst.

Fact: LH and LX (and frankly i dislike their arrogant attitude) has amongst cleanest planes.

i like neither. My new go to airline is air france. Good balance between good planes and good crews although flying blue is a bad miles program unfortunately.

yes BA Still competes with the worst for sure although ill probably end up trying the a350 as business class looks night. Ie early on and not when seats are disgusting which is probably in 6 months.
Old Yesterday, 7:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

Fact: LH and LX (and frankly i dislike their arrogant attitude) has amongst cleanest planes.
Post #6 in this thread:
Originally Posted by Crofton138 View Post
Similar scenario happened to me on a Lufthansa flight recently. Crew hadn't noticed during the turnaround but moved me to another seat, same outcome as you. I didn't feel the need for an overly dramatic social media post, this kind of thing happens on all airlines.
nancypants likes this.
Old Yesterday, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Vomit must happen fairly often in a plane. I assume the previous crew must have noticed
Not to detract from how unpleasant this must have been, but those are two very big - and in my view, likely wrong - assumptions to make.

As for your being surprised that this could happen on LH, this is however precisely what Crofton138 reported just a few posts above yours.
argonath likes this.
Old Yesterday, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crofton138 View Post
the BA board cracks me up.

if you criticize BA then about 20 folks will read though your whole history of posts and then will give a psychotic assessment claiming you are some sort of sociopath.

then they ll always claims it happens on other airlines. Guaranteed. Had i written that whilst i was smiling at the purser he suddenly became bersek and stabbed me in the arm someonw would have said: funny that just happened to me the other than on singapore airlines. Happens all the time. Yeah right.

do yourself a huge favor and try other airlines. None, none is as filthy as BA.

Search this Thread