Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Disgusting BA [reseated due to vomit smell]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgusting BA [reseated due to vomit smell]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
And then there was the guy in the seat behind us that we discovered (at the end of the journey) had taken off his shoes and socks during a long haul flight. Maybe I should never fly CX again as the cabin stank.
The public should be barred from flying!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by Stormbel
And then there was the guy in the seat behind us that we discovered (at the end of the journey) had taken off his shoes and socks during a long haul flight. Maybe I should never fly CX again as the cabin stank.
It sounds like you've ​​​​​​had a bad experience. I hope you feel better soon.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that there are such things as trees and forests arguments. The unfortunate sick bag experience can happen on any airline, and yes it is better if someone politely tell crew about this, which they may not do for many reasons (language, not thinking about it, mild shame, feeling sick just talking about vomit, etc)

At the same time I too do agree that standards of cleanliness on ba planes are below those of most legacy competitors. Whether ba passengers are pigs compared to lx, af, dl, qf, or jl ones, whether ba have inferior cleaning contract specs, or whether lx, af, dl, qf, or jl pax are pigs compared to ba ones and has a result those airlines have been forced to invest in superior cleaning which results show, I couldnt say, but while I dont agree ba is disgusting, I do agree their planes are dirtier than average and dirtier than they should be, including in potentially problematic ways (I did report an issue with blood on my flight to mex a few months ago.

For what its worth, I do think that long haul is particularly hard to forgive as the whole 10 minutes cleaning time argument cannot be made then.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Bit of a dramatic description of the common problem of a dirty BA aircraft. There is no excuse for a cleaning crew to miss it, or a boarding crew to not find that it's been missed. Talking to the cabin crews, most will say they simply don't have the time.

It's a BA problem, not that other airlines don't also have this kind of problem, but from personal experience it's more common on BA aircraft.

Don't get me wrong, I love BA, and given a choice I'd probably fly them all the time. My reasons are varied, but mainly because I like the fact they're my de facto flag carrier and are all English speaking staff, with British themed food and on board amenities. They also support charities close to me, pay staff money that's taxed in the UK and provide employment to people who'd otherwise be employed in different countries.

Defending their cleanliness as being normal for an airline though, that's just ridiculous.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:09 am

I watched the flight report below on the new A350 and from around 457 in the video you see some messy headrests. Not necessarily dirty or hugely important but probably a sign that even a new aircraft gets the absolute minimum of attention before passengers board. How long will those headrests sit on seats, too?

Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

No and no. Crew or even passengers can be oblivious to anyone that does anything sometimes! That exists in all walks of life. Passengers are more aware of the details of their seat than any crew or cleaner. Mostly because the passenger has a strong reason and incentive to do so.
Yeah it's called the price of a ticket. Sometimes in mega bucks.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Stormbel
This actually true
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not so good although thankfully they were able to move you to other seats.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHak

the BA board cracks me up.

if you criticize BA then about 20 folks will read though your whole history of posts and then will give a psychotic assessment claiming you are some sort of sociopath.

then they ll always claims it happens on other airlines. Guaranteed. Had i written that whilst i was smiling at the purser he suddenly became bersek and stabbed me in the arm someonw would have said: funny that just happened to me the other than on singapore airlines. Happens all the time. Yeah right.

do yourself a huge favor and try other airlines. None, none is as filthy as BA.
The irony of this post is that you've written it in response to someone who clearly has tried other airlines and was reporting their experience on one of those other airlines...

-----

One of the themes of FT is that a poster comes and posts a rant in which is buried a legitimate complaint. But that compliant is buried in unnecessary hyperbole and outrage. That poster then gets annoyed when 100% of the Forum doesn't agree with them completely. I find this phenomenon highly amusing: if you aren't looking for discussion why are you posting on an internet discussion board?
ppp909 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:19 pm

Another example of low BA standards.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jed

Ive never experienced these problems on QR or CX. I cant remember anything other than spotless aircraft on QR.
In my opinion it does dampen the BA experience.
I once discovered on a QR 787, in J that when I reclined the seat it was obvious that someone had spectacularly spilled their drink everywhere on the previous flight. Someone had obviously wiped it up but hadn't bothered to recline the seat to do it properly.
The cabin crew were surprisingly indifferent about it and I ended up cleaning it up myself as I was knackered and wanted to sleep.
So yes it can happen.

As for complaining about clean seats, I suggest taking an overnight train in India: ingrained filth you could only dream of, beasties crawling around, mice, rats, you name it. Still a great experience though and it does put things into perspective.
Mind you, you can travel hundreds of miles for very little cash and the entertainment is way better.
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.