FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Get ready for some screams in First (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1982987-get-ready-some-screams-first.html)

ExpatSomchai Aug 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Get ready for some screams in First

British Airways customers will be transported to their own 3D cinema in the skies as the airline exclusively trials a new virtual reality headset in a UK first.

https://www.air101.co.uk/2019/08/bri.../fMxO+(Air101)

memesweeper Aug 14, 2019 3:43 pm

What a brilliant idea. Perhaps this is the thing that will enable First to survive in an area of CW Suites. :-).

golfmad Aug 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Available on selected BA117 flights from LHR-JFK which is the early flight.

orbitmic Aug 14, 2019 11:01 pm

Having tried virtual reality a few times for professional purposes, many situations can be disorientating or even nauseating. I really hope they pick carefully or it’s one of those good ideas on paper that might prove quite counter productive

Airprox Aug 15, 2019 1:13 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 31417857)
Having tried virtual reality a few times for professional purposes, many situations can be disorientating or even nauseating. I really hope they pick carefully or it’s one of those good ideas on paper that might prove quite counter productive

This was the first thing that came to my mind, it can be bad enough when the ground is stationary but add in the motion of a plane on top and it could be quite unpleasant!

babats Aug 15, 2019 1:32 am

And the first programmes are the box set of Aircrash Investigation

corporate-wage-slave Aug 15, 2019 2:57 am

By coincidence I was reading the Encyclopedia Britannica's entry on Virtual Reality in their 2017 Book of the Year (RIP) the other day, and the overwhelming (ha) problem that VR manufacturers have is the more realistic they are, the more nauseous they become. The article pointed out that no one gets sick playing Pokémon GO, as it's a low tech version of VR, and yet arguably the most successful.

T8191 Aug 15, 2019 4:42 am

Ha - went to view some CGI in a cockpit scenario laboratory at Farnborough some years ago. We stood on this static cut-down flight deck looking out of the very realistic 'windows' as the 'aircraft' got airborne and started some gentle manoeuvring. One of my colleagues lasted about 20 seconds before having to leave the room!

Having the visual cues without the associated motion cues in the inner ear (cochlea?) can be very disconcerting.

orbitmic Aug 15, 2019 4:44 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31418215)
By coincidence I was reading the Encyclopedia Britannica's entry on Virtual Reality in their 2017 Book of the Year (RIP) the other day, and the overwhelming (ha) problem that VR manufacturers have is the more realistic they are, the more nauseous they become. The article pointed out that no one gets sick playing Pokémon GO, as it's a low tech version of VR, and yet arguably the most successful.

yes it increases with realism (nowadays most are ultra realistic) and the situations they propose (often virtual reality is done to do precisely things you wouldn’t do in real life such as walking on a tiny bridge between two high rise buildings or exploring claustrophobic settings). By contrast, I don’t know anyone who’s been sick using virtual reality to ‘visit’ their next apartment currently being built at some posh estate agents. That’s why I was suggesting that I hope they choose well as basically ‘boring’ is less likely to lead to sick whilst exciting may be hard to handle for many...

Newly Wed Aug 15, 2019 5:39 am

Ha! I thought this was going to be the usual complaints about kids in F. I was going to say smugly that my kids are currently seated in 5E/F on BA283 (LAX) and are plugged into the iFE not bothering anyone. But it’s not about that at all....

AJA_ Aug 15, 2019 5:54 am

This sounds like a recipe for disaster. I can see some passengers asking for the sick bag. Which is fine ss long as they have plenty.

Reminds me of the old joke:
Passenger to cabin crew: May I have a sick bag?
Cabin crew reply: I'm sorry sir we've run out, Would you like some olives?

DH188 Aug 15, 2019 8:24 am

Qantas, reportedly, trialled this a few years ago.
Don't know what became of it.

​​​​​​Qantas first-class passengers to get virtual reality headsets

alanw Aug 15, 2019 10:00 am

Perhaps they'll use the technology to make BA F seem like CX or EK.

DeathSlam Aug 15, 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31418342)
Ha - went to view some CGI in a cockpit scenario laboratory at Farnborough some years ago. We stood on this static cut-down flight deck looking out of the very realistic 'windows' as the 'aircraft' got airborne and started some gentle manoeuvring. One of my colleagues lasted about 20 seconds before having to leave the room!

Having the visual cues without the associated motion cues in the inner ear (cochlea?) can be very disconcerting.

Don't the latest fighter jets have vr in the helmet so the pilot can see through the body of the plane?

TheJayHatch Aug 15, 2019 10:43 am

Tried a VR flight simulator at WAW Renaissance Hotel a couple of months ago - the whole audio visual experience. What surprised me was the very real-feeling 'jolt' when I came to a stop on a (pretty abysmal!) landing. The idea of using one whilst on a flight does not appeal...!