Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why all the hate for BA ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

ah yes, I think you mentioned many times that people now just want to get from A to B as cheaply as possible!

It's not about me mentioning it. It's about what people have been saying in surveys for many years now and how the general public have been behaving for many years now as well. There is no greater power than the power of one's wallet.

I guess if you shake up the market and offer £0.99p flights, people are driven to believe that flying is so bloody cheap, so why can’t all airlines give me a seat at 99p?! Well done O’Leary. You changed the market and now we ultimately have hundreds of threads on why BA isn’t them or is. Or why can’t we have better food or why aren’t fares cheaper. Etc etc etc

But I still want my G&T and sandwich, because surely 99p is just for the plane. Nothing to do with anything else?! People don’t care about what costs what or how much profit or cost that or this is. You put out a price and make it competitive enough people will be attracted, regardless of the small print.

I agree that there are a few people who still expect everything for paying next to nothing. They pay for an HBO ticket but then slam the airline for being cheap and not allowing a bag in the hold. They pay for a BoB flight and then slam the airline for being cheap and not feeding them. They pay for a ticket that includes one small carry-on item only, and then slam the airline for being cheap and not allowing to move houses for free because they bought the ticket.
Yes, there are cheap people, yes, there are people who expect everything for nothing... So what? That won't change where the market is and how it works.

The whole argument of getting you from A to B, just like a bus is also BS!! Can you name me a bus service where you have to be there 2 hours before and go through various security checks, taking off your belt or jewellery and, in some cases having to reveal your private underwear/garments in hand baggage to some stiff uniformed security personnel? I’m happy to be checked or for security to be strict if it protects us but you certainly don’t get this on a bus.

What do security requirements imposed by governments have to do with airlines? I think people are happy to trade a couple of hours at the airport in exchange for some assurance that they won't be blown up in the air by some lunatics.

I’d also like to know that if people just want to get to where they are going as cheaply and in as little comfort as possible then why are many CE cabins expanded to the 8+ rows or even 12 rows that we do often hear about on here?

Of course, there is demand for more comfortable travel, and people who pay for premium economy, business or first class are voting with their wallets and pay exactly for what they want rather than come here and whine about not getting something for free in exchange for purchasing a ticket. Those people are actually paying more to get what they want - a concept that seems to escape many people here.

So I’d disagree that people just want to get to where they want to be. People get to where they want to be with (sadly) very little differential choice now. The only very different choice now is price. Airlines have all lowered their tones, not because people said please lower your tone directly but because companies (airlines) dictated it to the people based on the reactions of ooooo you can charge me 99p? (not that I have a clue what’s included but yes please! 99p sounds amazing!’)

But there is a choice. There are premium cabins where people can pay more to get more. If people think that there is a market for luxurious economy travel that no airline wants to tap, there are wrong. No one will offer a product for ten or a hundred or a even a thousand people. Maybe there is no choice for this small group of people, but if airlines are basically screaming to them that they're not going to offer a product that is not appealing to 99% of the travelling public, maybe it's high time these people made their peace with it? Why don't these people simply purchase a drink or a sandwich on board and enjoy their flight the way they want to? Why does it make a difference to them that the sandwich and a drink are forced upon them and other passengers by the airline rather than purchased?
Also, people are saying directly to airlines to 'lower their tone,' by voting with their wallets. Remember AA and its more legroom in coach concept? How did that end? It often astonishes me how much people are willing to disregard what is actually going on on the market and how people are behaving and prefer, instead, to believe in their own ideas of what travel should be. It's always 'no choice,' 'monopoly,' 'trapped by whatever forces.' I just can't understand why it is so hard to accept that this is what people actually want. This is where air travel is. The evidence is right there. All one has to do is be open to accepting that things do not work the way they think they do...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Serious question...when were the good old days of BA and what was it that made them so good compared to today?

As a Y passenger? As early as 2014.. so 5 years ago. There were many benefits to flying BA and i would tell everyone to do so (especially as we would get enough Avios on a long haul return to use them for a short weekend trip to, say, dusseldorf).

Yes, i am not married to them but i also was wrongly informed that i could not get EU compensation with virgin. I just found out that i can so i am going back to them.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Question: How many of those carriers that subjectively have better F products are also state owned?
Three (EY, EK, QR).

But how many are not:at least eight.
Lufthansa, Swiss, Air France, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, JAL, ANA, Qantas

Thus, the insinuation that one has to be owned by a government where economics do not matter is clearly wrong.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

I have a little theory that those who feel trapped with an airline or an alliance, whether by corporate policy, personal budget, or frequent flyer benefit, feel more grumpy about whichever airline it might be, than those who can make an entirely or effectively free choice, stemming from the resentment of feeling trapped, although in reality, if it is the frequent flyer benefits that are leaving them feeling trapped, there are in fact choices...
I'd say you're spot on.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Three (EY, EK, QR).

Lufthansa, Swiss, Air France, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, JAL, ANA, Qantas

Thus, the insinuation that one has to be owned by a government where economics do not matter is clearly wrong.
This is mostly true tbh but what about this. Take for example business class. All EU carriers have sub par business class cabins (except new iterations e.g. Air France -KLM new business and club suite. Club suite being the best in Europe. Lufthansa being the absolute worst) anyway that aside. All EU carriers have “sub par” business class and economy cabins compared to Middle Eastern and airlines to the east because EU carriers have higher costs. Do you know how expensive it is to operate out of the EU, specifically Heathrow? The costs these airlines have to deal with? Unions? Pay to staff? Things that are just not as high in countries in the east. Labour is significantly cheaper so they can afford to go above and beyond on product. Because operations are generally cheaper for them than EU airlines. So many EU regulations make things so expensive. BA has one of the highest costs operating out Heathrow. Slots costs millions of dollars PER SLOT and BA has 55% so you can imagine the costs they have to deal with compared to other markets where things like operations are significantly cheaper
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:01 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by opus99

This is mostly true tbh but what about this. Take for example business class. All EU carriers have sub par business class cabins (except new iterations e.g. Air France -KLM new business and club suite. Club suite being the best in Europe. Lufthansa being the absolute worst) anyway that aside. {snip}
Please explain how OS, LO, SK, LX, AY long haul business class cabins are sub par ?

Originally Posted by Andriyko
It's not about me mentioning it. It's about what people have been saying in surveys for many years now and how the general public have been behaving for many years now as well. There is no greater power than the power of one's wallet.
{snip}
Cite, please.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL

This is mostly true tbh but what about this. Take for example business class. All EU carriers have sub par business class cabins (except new iterations e.g. Air France -KLM new business and club suite. Club suite being the best in Europe. Lufthansa being the absolute worst) anyway that aside. All EU carriers have “sub par” business class and economy cabins compared to Middle Eastern and airlines to the east because EU carriers have higher costs. Do you know how expensive it is to operate out of the EU, specifically Heathrow? The costs these airlines have to deal with? Unions? Pay to staff? Things that are just not as high in countries in the east. Labour is significantly cheaper so they can afford to go above and beyond on product. Because operations are generally cheaper for them than EU airlines. So many EU regulations make things so expensive. BA has one of the highest costs operating out Heathrow. Slots costs millions of dollars PER SLOT and BA has 55% so you can imagine the costs they have to deal with compared to other markets where things like operations are significantly cheaper
Though this is not about cost - this is what airlines can get away with. If I'm flying from New York to Frankfurt Lufthansa may have the worst (really?) business class of all the European carriers, but it still beats the hell out of connecting somewhere in the Arabian desert - or even connecting in Heathrow.

So in a way, as long as there are no real alternatives, investing in a better product would be wasting shareholder value.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Please explain how OS, LO, SK, LX, AY long haul business class cabins are sub par ?

Sub par in quotations due to subjectivity. I don’t believe European carriers are subpar for the competition they are the standard

Cite, please.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737

Though this is not about cost - this is what airlines can get away with. If I'm flying from New York to Frankfurt Lufthansa may have the worst (really?) business class of all the European carriers, but it still beats the hell out of connecting somewhere in the Arabian desert - or even connecting in Heathrow.

So in a way, as long as there are no real alternatives, investing in a better product would be wasting shareholder value.
I agree with this, same for BA which is why they have been able to get away with their business class product for so long. Especially because businesses who have a contract with them want the quickest and most direct flights.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Slots costs millions of dollars PER SLOT and BA has 55% so you can imagine the costs they have to deal with compared to other markets where things like operations are significantly cheaper
You pay for them once, then you own them. It's not a recurring cost
DelTroon likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Three (EY, EK, QR).

correct given how large a shareholder Qatar is in IAG that owns BA.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.

I agree with this, same for BA which is why they have been able to get away with their business class product for so long. Especially because businesses who have a contract with them want the quickest and most direct flights.
That worked so long as AA DL and UA were rubbish and VS FFP was niche.
That has all changed and Polaris seat on the coming United 76L six times a day leaves BA’s Club to JFK bottom compared the other four from LHR, and will do so for as long as 744s appear on the route.
so I suspect until BA is more honest about its sub par product there will continue to be issues with customers where it over promises and under delivers.
this applies to both product and the jam tomorrow drivel it’s CEO drones on about. (3 years now and for £6.5 trillion or whatever its is there’s not much to show for it except one new plane that goes to Madrid.)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DFB_london

so I suspect until BA is more honest about its sub par product there will continue to be issues with customers where it over promises and under delivers.
this applies to both product and the jam tomorrow drivel it’s CEO drones on about. (3 years now and for £6.5 trillion or whatever its is there’s not much to show for it except one new plane that goes to Madrid.)
Why do you continue to fly BA may I ask?
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:51 am

I love the BA service (Cabin crew etc), but hate their old 777 planes with the weird business class layout.
I use BA exclusively as it's the only carrier to fly direct to tampa (with business class), if there were other companies who did that, I would switch.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by AdamPD
I love the BA service (Cabin crew etc), but hate their old 777 planes with the weird business class layout.
Some of those 777’s you dislike so much are indeed pretty ancient (I suspect they take on wood rather than fuel), with the average age of the BA fleet overall undoubtedly very high compared to many other major carriers,

Not sure just how reliable their data is, but this particular site states that of 72 airlines operating the 777, BA ranks at a lowly 62 in terms of ‘youthfulness’.........
https://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/...%20Airways.htm

Like you, I’m not remotely a fan of the current CW config, but maybe you are as encouraged as I am that there is finally a fresh product to be rolled out, with much-needed storage space and all-aisle access. Early reports of the new CW suite are almost universally positive ; but until such time as it’s widely available across the l/h network, the sweet spot for many pax will perhaps remain one of the small number of prized seats on 747 U/D, combined (ideally) with a good, pro-active crew.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.