Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Senior Partner!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Senior Partner!

I have been a lowly Blue BAEC member now for a few years (since retirement), not least because most of our BA flights are either redemption or an annual 2-4-1. So, imagine my surprise when Mrs Definitas received notification from BA that she was being elevated to Bronze. My first thought was, how can that be? The answer turned out to be simple. Her membership year is 6 months different to mine so a CW to Chicago and a couple of CE and ET flights and she made the threshold whereas the flights in question were spread across two membership years for me. I'll have to make sure she doesn't read some of the posts on FT or she will be looking at TP runs to make it up to Silver!
747_not_777, ubiest, HIDDY and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BA silver
That's how it all starts. You suddenly reach bronze, but then think it would be a lot better if it was silver! Being retired you can hunt out cheap CE tickets and just go. Easiest way to get to silver in my opinion.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And in a way, if you are retired (presumably semi-retired, I doubt you are watching Cash in the Attic all day long), then going for Silver is the sweet spot: you can book flexibly to get the bargains, hopefully get the quiet flights, get the extra Avios churn, get the decent seats, and get lounge access along the way.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And in a way, if you are retired (presumably semi-retired, I doubt you are watching Cash in the Attic all day long), then going for Silver is the sweet spot: you can book flexibly to get the bargains, hopefully get the quiet flights, get the extra Avios churn, get the decent seats, and get lounge access along the way.
I dont think you will convince Uncle T with any of that
HIDDY and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rapidex
I dont think you will convince Uncle T with any of that
Well it was the line he was spouting in between deferential jibes at Golds. But that was pre-Hawai'i.
T8191 and HIDDY like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Reminds me of LH FTL (Silver), Senator is so hard to achieve you might as well just be happy with Lufthansa Silver, which is easier to reach than BA silver I think? BA Bronze is pretty much useless, except to want you to reach silver more as mentioned above!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Reminds me of LH FTL (Silver), Senator is so hard to achieve you might as well just be happy with Lufthansa Silver, which is easier to reach than BA silver I think? BA Bronze is pretty much useless, except to want you to reach silver more as mentioned above!
It's horses for courses, since pan Star Alliance benefits aren't great. If Lufty is your machine and the lounges are on your route then it will work for some people. I actually think they should perk up Bronze a bit (2 off peak lounge passes a year?), but seat selection at 7 days is definitely worth something.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
It's horses for courses, since pan Star Alliance benefits aren't great. If Lufty is your machine and the lounges are on your route then it will work for some people. I actually think they should perk up Bronze a bit (2 off peak lounge passes a year?), but seat selection at 7 days is definitely worth something.
Yes at least they have a Bronze Tier (*A doesn't bother).
As for 'free seat selection', I stick with the I'm scared of flying, I need a window seat approach on the phone/with the checkin agent at the airport, it has worked so far!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BA silver
I am presuming you mean 2 passes - for the bronze card holder and guest? I think that would be a great idea. You can start to see the advantages of silver. I may in a year's time go down to bronze as OH and my holidays just don't work out (October, December, April). We have set holidays. We would quickly go back to silver as I may be retiring next August. However, once you take in lounges and free seat selection alone you realise that silver is worth it.
On a similar vein- I am a member of a Las Vegas UK forum and it is amazing just how many find themselves upgraded to Club. Again, once you have experienced Club you will want to continue to do that. So you look at the FF club, and carry on from there.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OK, friends ... points taken!

I have to say that getting on the rollercoaster ride of TPs, extra holidays, and the jolly pursuit of renewing Gold has made our retirement years filled with endless fun, global travel and (thanks to BAFT) reasonable expense. Long may it continue!!

PS: only 3 holidays before Christmas, and 2020 is still a work in progress
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by fiona
I am presuming you mean 2 passes - for the bronze card holder and guest? I think that would be a great idea. You can start to see the advantages of silver. I may in a year's time go down to bronze as OH and my holidays just don't work out (October, December, April). We have set holidays. We would quickly go back to silver as I may be retiring next August. However, once you take in lounges and free seat selection alone you realise that silver is worth it.
On a similar vein- I am a member of a Las Vegas UK forum and it is amazing just how many find themselves upgraded to Club. Again, once you have experienced Club you will want to continue to do that. So you look at the FF club, and carry on from there.
CX has those as mid tier benefits so perhaps 2 lounge passes at 450. Then 4 shorthaul BA upgrades at 1000. Would nicely bridge gap
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Some element of flexibility would be cool at all levels, i.e. choose from a list of different benefits depending on your wishes. It happens at 6000 TPs when you can choose Avios, extra joker, etc. Just wondering if it would be a good thing to include at all levels, e.g. at Bronze, choose a couple of accesses to lounges per year or increase baggage allowance or earlier seat selection. At silver, chunk or avios, couple of gold style RFS (double use of avios) redemptions or access to first lounge twice a year.

I do imagine, however, that it will all start to get rather complicated.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Yeah ... Silver and Bronze running up costs for BA, which could be taken out of our Golden hide? Sod the proles!!

Yes, C-W-S and rapidex, this worm is fully turned.
TTmex, Tafflyer and rapidex like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: BA/American
Definitas, can we talk? Trying to convince the little woman (zero chance she’ll see this) of the wisdom of a couple of TP runs to make Silver. Trench warfare at this point. But it was the same a few years ago when I went ‘over the top’ and got her out of WT+ and into CW. Now that that is resolved I’m confidant that a good steady barrage of reason will make the final assault a done deal. Of course, like any good strategist, I am looking at the end game by making plans on the assault of Fortress Gold next year!
T8191 and HoneymoonFlyer like this.

Last edited by Samolyot; Aug 9, 2019 at 11:48 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Samolyot
Definitas, can we talk? Trying to convince the little woman (zero chance she’ll see this) of the wisdom of a couple of TP runs to make Silver. Trench warfare at this point. But it was the same a few years ago when I went ‘over the top’ and got her out of WT+ and into CW. Now that that is resolved I’m confidant that a good steady barrage of reason will make the final assault a done deal. Of course, like any good strategist, I am looking at the end game by making plans on the assault of Fortress Gold next year!
I have to confess that I will need to read up on how the tiers work. The Bronze status is valid for the rest of her membership year and the following 12 months. However, her membership year resets in a couple of months meaning her tier points will expire way before we would earn another 300. Does that mean to go from Bronze to Silver in the subsequent year 600 have to be earned anew or just the 300 to go from Bronze to .Silver? I could be tempted to chase 300 but chasing 600 is just not viable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.