Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most underrated BA destination

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
We recently made a TP run to Gibraltar and decided to stay for 3 nights to make it worth while.. We were told that it was a bit of a dump but that isn't the case. Obviously, loads of history, the rock is honeycombed with tunnels. People were friendly, all transactions, including cards are in sterling so no charges. Plus, the interesting landing.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:41 am

Trier is a great destination went last year and it's fantastic. Relatively cheap weekend for 80tp.

Ljubljana is a fantastic place but the real hidden gems in that neck of the woods are Trieste and especially Pula as day trips.
CoweyB likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:59 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Zurich - the old town is lovely, there are fantastic art galleries, great food, swimming in the lake, fabulous chocolate etc etc
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by jmd
Zurich - the old town is lovely, there are fantastic art galleries, great food, swimming in the lake, fabulous chocolate etc etc
It is, but I wouldn't call it underrated.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I am getting inspired. I always dismissed LUX as cheap for a reason, but a weekend in Trier sounds amazing.
CoweyB likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Actually think Newark deserves a mention.

Easy and reliable train into Midtown NYC which is not the case for JFK. Taxiing at JFK is always stupidly long and at Newark it’s less than 10 mins. Inbound leg is great, much better than terminal 7.

Flights tend to be less full I find, great ground staff and a really good lounge right next to the gates so can leave as late as possible. There’s also just not many other flights that go from BAs little area they have so lines at security generally very minimal.

Flew back over the weekend and all the above true. Had a very good crew and one unbelievable CSD who I won’t name but was a chap with a New Zealand accent who even went as far as to shake hands with every WTP customer and introduce himself after first and business!

gordon0808 and redpalmetto like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
TLV recently exceeded all my expectations ; a cool vibrant and beautiful city
JER is a jewel in the crowm
Billund was a recent great day trip if into Lego
Agree Sofia and Kiev both Fab
St Lucia a recent Joy (I had heard mixed reports!)

I think this thread would be easier to identify disappointing destinations ; Larnaca springs to mind
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Another vote for Bologna.

But I usually get there by KLM because BA options from ABZ are almost always much pricier. Possibly due to double UK airport tax.

Other destinations require a LHR LGW transfer, since we have no direct LGW link anymore.

Aberdeen - said nobody.
But if you're sent here for some reason then there's plenty to see.
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
I did the EU28 capitals in 2018/19 so it's another vote for Ljubljana.
I didn't rate Sofia at all. Bucharest though, I thought has some cracking buildings, and not what I was expecting.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found Algiers to be nice and the people friendly. Islamabad is on my list, just waiting on my visa.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:53 pm

It is difficult to work out what people think is an underrated destination. Based on reactions I have had:

Mexico City - one of my favourite cities in the world, not so much now but in the past people (who have never been) warned me about theft, mugging, kidnapping etc. etc. (none of which happened). Great buildings, great food, and it has Teotihuacan (which I would rate over Chichen Itza...although that is amazing too)

Belfast - Used to live there in the '90s, and still my favourite City on the island...not many people went near the place back then. But people are great, lots to see, and the area around it, pretty much in any direction, is beautiful

Beirut - agree with comments above, although I went in 1997 when a lot of it was still in ruins, with no maps post-war, so difficult to navigate

Long shot here......Bradford - not nearly as bad as people say, has post-Industrial Yorkshire charm and amazing sub-continent food

Philadelphia is great too...but not sure what the general consensus is there now

Sofia - agree the food and drink are good and cheap, but the City is a bit of a dump, great for seeing Soviet architecture though
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:02 pm

Love RTM.
Skipcool3 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by Wapping Flyer
It is difficult to work out what people think is an underrated destination. Based on reactions I have had:

Mexico City - one of my favourite cities in the world, not so much now but in the past people (who have never been) warned me about theft, mugging, kidnapping etc. etc. (none of which happened). Great buildings, great food, and it has Teotihuacan (which I would rate over Chichen Itza...although that is amazing too)

Belfast - Used to live there in the '90s, and still my favourite City on the island...not many people went near the place back then. But people are great, lots to see, and the area around it, pretty much in any direction, is beautiful

Beirut - agree with comments above, although I went in 1997 when a lot of it was still in ruins, with no maps post-war, so difficult to navigate

Long shot here......Bradford - not nearly as bad as people say, has post-Industrial Yorkshire charm and amazing sub-continent food

Philadelphia is great too...but not sure what the general consensus is there now

Sofia - agree the food and drink are good and cheap, but the City is a bit of a dump, great for seeing Soviet architecture though
Agree re Mexico city! You hear how dreadful it is but is artistic and lovely!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'd second Turin. Was really friendly and good food too. Managed to stay in a converted Fiat factory.

For the point about flight times, we did a 1 hr train journey up to Milan for the day and came back from there - Where there is also a BA lounge!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by jeffski10
Managed to stay in a converted Fiat factory.
Is that the Hilton? I thought about staying there on a stop-over, but opted for the Hilton at Como instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.