Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

29 July 19: BA112 [JFK-LHR] incident in F cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
At least 3 FlyerTalkers were onboard and have posted eyewitness reports. Excerpts and direct links follow

All reports implicate a musical artist/rapper named Busta Rhymes.

Originally Posted by 87CTA
  • Artist boards and his handler begins packing away his bags in the overheads. To note … the artist brought 4 carryon bags … which meant regardless of the situation that he would have struggled to easily find space (especially as the cabin was full). It was apparent that the handler was having trouble finding space and the artist began getting irate … asking “whose stuff is this” … my wife replied, “mine” … artist responds “move your stuff”.
  • I could tell immediately that this would only end in an argument so I suggested to my wife that she just move her bags to avoid confrontation … my wife quite rightfully responded “why should I, we are supposed to share this bin” … this is when the artist flew off the handle: “move your stuff, now” … he was towering over my wife’s seat and she was terrified … I stood up and asked him to “not be so rude to my wife” and to “leave it” to which he responded with “then let’s go, homeboy … essentially offering me to fight him!!!!
Originally Posted by 81romeo
A woman started to cry and the situation escalated very quickly. I then jumped in as I can't tolerate any case of abusive behaviour. He threatened me personally because I jumped in. The CSD got involved. The Captain decided to not offload him (don't ask me why because we really don't know, we were all shocked at his judgment call). Instead, the crew asked if any of us would feel safer by taking the next flight.
Originally Posted by Realitycheck
The cabin staff did an excellent job at controlling the situation. Albeit they admitted being fearful as we all were. BR was traveling with his handler and 6 members of his entourage.
Print Wikipost

29 July 19: BA112 [JFK-LHR] incident in F cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by seanp7
The Mirror stated "They (police) boarded the plane once it had landed at approximately 6:52am on Tuesday 30 July and spoke to the parties involved. There were no reported injuries, and no offences disclosed. The passengers concerned then proceeded with their journeys."

BA650 (LHR-JMK) leaves at....6:50.
again, sorry guys but I believe that BA650 left LHR at 8:09, STD was 7:40...

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Krisz
are you sure that you checking the right flight? My FR24 shows that the plane in question landed at 6:50....I’m checking BA112 to arrive on the 30th July....

Plus police arrived to the gate, etc so probably actual passengers could get off after 7am...
Although a connection missed due to a 20-minute delay on the inbound was too tight already, surely ?
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fontaine
Check out his Wikipedia page for a list of his arrests for similar incidents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busta_Rhymes
Sounds like a disgrace to our species quiet frankly.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Krisz
are you sure that you checking the right flight? My FR24 shows that the plane in question landed at 6:50....I’m checking BA112 to arrive on the 30th July....

Plus police arrived to the gate, etc so probably actual passengers could get off after 7am...
Well that’s odd. I am viewing the FR24 website on my iPad. Oriented in portrait view, it says the flight landed at 05:44 but when I adjust my device to landscape, it says 06:44.
Krisz likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

I haven’t heard of any refunds for flights on FT or in my life, other than Avios good will gestures or possible credit. But a pure refund is sadly a fantasy for any passenger nowadays surely?! (I’m not agreeing that it shouldn’t happen but it is what it is)

Fair enough. Maybe a credit/avios in lieu.

Edit: my point being that if the incident and the way it was handled by BA meant that passengers would rather downgrade rather than remain in the First cabin then surely some sort of compensation is due.

Last edited by alpenlupe; Jul 31, 2019 at 12:53 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by teledude
What are you expecting?
Originally Posted by 81romeo
An apology?
Well oddly enough, that’s one area where BA does normally tend to excel : over 15,000 apologies (however welcome or useful they may - or may not - be to the recipient !) have been offered so far this year, or an average of 71 per day

https://www.sorryfortheinconvenience...britishairways

I’m not in your shoes, was not on the flight, and obviously was not involved in the relevant phone conversation, so what follows is no more than an assumption on my part.

I would speculate that your surprise stems from the fact no senior manager has had the gumption to address the issue with you directly, with a view to reaching an understanding/agreement which leaves you feeling reassured that the disruption, distress, and inconvenience caused have all been appropriately recognised by the airline. Instead, the onus is simply thrown back to you, as the aggrieved party, to do all the work by now reiterating your concerns to the Legal Department.

Perhaps this ‘response’ by BA is symptomatic of the policy adopted by executive management to a wide range of difficult situations : let the lawyers deal with it ............whether that be industrial relations with our employees (see you in the High Court and then Court of Appeal !), or issues raised by those who effectively pay our salaries.

notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fitch
Although a connection missed due to a 20-minute delay on the inbound was too tight already, surely ?
Well i’m Not sure but if the BA650 STD was 7:40 and the BA112 STA was 6:30 then yes it’s a tight connection but nothing crazy so a 20 min delay wouldn’t have cause a misconnect.. but police, etc I guess people get off well after 7am so they would misconnect. Though I would book this if I’m on my own....
Prospero and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Prospero
Well that’s odd. I am viewing the FR24 website on my iPad. Oriented in portrait view, it says the flight landed at 05:44 but when I adjust my device to landscape, it says 06:44.

Krisz likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would connecting passengers have been automatically offloaded or missed a conformation check?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
I used my iPhone app... it says 6:50 lol .. so I guess the plane landed... what time? well depends which device we view it. But around 6:44-6:50 ish...
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BAEC

And what if it had materialised over the Atlantic? Have you read up on his past antics ? Seriously.
Yes, I have.

2003 - assault
2006 - assault
2007 - assault
2007 - DUI

Nothing recent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busta_Rhymes
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA.com shows the timings here, and I'll add the screenshots since they are about to vanish. In short, this was a tight, but legal connection, which is why it probably appealed to the passenger's travel booker.
Attached Images   
Prospero, seanp7, IAMORGAN and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Yes, I have.

2003 - assault
2006 - assault
2007 - assault
2007 - DUI

Nothing recent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busta_Rhymes
More recent:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...n-drink-59339/

This guy has an anger management issue.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Did he actually do the performance and was he on time for it in the end?
He posted a video on his Instagram yesterday while getting ready to board what looked like Olympic Air Dash(?). Looks like they were running late at that point. Not sure if he performed.
Won't post the link, but the clip is still there - lots of explicit language, so safer to use earphones/headphones.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Here's an idea.

Assuming the captain had been heavily 'advised' to keep this lot on board. Maybe they should have said to this 'artist' that should he wish to stay on this specific flight, he will need to fly in economy (as far away as possible from the poor First passengers). If not, he can rebook or a later light in First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.