Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading a standard Avios ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Upgrading a standard Avios ticket

Hi, I couldn't find this on the Avios wiki so was looking for some help.

What are the rules, if any, about upgrading a standard Y avios redemption ticket from LHR-JFK? A premium economy seat has just popped up online. What is the additional cost I'd have to pay in terms of avios and cash? I also believe you can't upgrade avios tickets online, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
This is not an upgrade. It's a change.

So you pay the £35 change fee, the extra Avios and the extra TFC.

I've never tried to do it, but I suspect that if you look at MMB you'll rapidly find out whether or not the website will even try to do it for you.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:23 am

You can't upgrade, you just cancel and rebook. So it will cost the standard £35 cancellation fee. If you have the Avios you can do it online as two transactions, if not try calling in and see if they can do both transactions together.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
You can't upgrade, you just cancel and rebook.
This is another possible route, but it's safer to rebook and only then cancel.
golfmad likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What you are doing technically is a change rather than an upgrade (Upgrade with Avios). You will basically pay a £35 change fee per passenger, any extra taxes/fees/charges (likely to just be around £90 extra APD), and the extra avios (basically the difference in avios due for WTP and WT).

I don't hold much hope for you to be able to do this on MMB so I suspect the easiest way is just to call BAEC to do it.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
By the way, this is one reason why I always book Avios redemptions as two one ways (which costs the same in 90% of cases) as it makes it much easier to upgrade just one of the legs if availability (and spare Avios) comes up.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by mikebg
By the way, this is one reason why I always book Avios redemptions as two one ways (which costs the same in 90% of cases) as it makes it much easier to upgrade just one of the legs if availability (and spare Avios) comes up.
I hope you don't do that for a round trip to the US
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Unless of course if starting from the US in which case it makes perfect sense and will be cheaper.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
You can't upgrade, you just cancel and rebook. So it will cost the standard £35 cancellation fee. If you have the Avios you can do it online as two transactions, if not try calling in and see if they can do both transactions together.
Resolution to this. Actually you can. I rang up telling them did I have to cancel and rebook, and he told me not at all and processed the upgrade over the phone no issue. Thanks for everyone's help
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:04 am
Suspended

Could I ask why? I've just used my Avios to do this. LHR-SFO with BA, SFO-OGG, OGG-LAX with Alaska and then LAX-DUB-LHR with Aer Lingus. All one way bookings. Have I screwed up somehow?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by SSintheair
Could I ask why? I've just used my Avios to do this. LHR-SFO with BA, SFO-OGG, OGG-LAX with Alaska and then LAX-DUB-LHR with Aer Lingus. All one way bookings. Have I screwed up somehow?
Hi, sorry I should explain - often it's easy to fall in to the trap of thinking everyone knows all the background!

In essence because taxes/fees/charges (mostly BA's carrier surcharge) are much higher exUS than exUK, so for a UK-US rtn you actually pay more booking two one ways than a return. Have a look at the worked example in this post to see the issue https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30255777-post965.html
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SSintheair
Probably not here, because the return leg wasn't on BA metal and you'd be into partner awards and a different mileage chart.
But if your return were LAX-LHR it'd be cheaper to add it to the LHR-SFO booking than to pay ex-US redemption fees.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cymro
Probably not here, because the return leg wasn't on BA metal and you'd be into partner awards and a different mileage chart.
But if your return were LAX-LHR it'd be cheaper to add it to the LHR-SFO booking than to pay ex-US redemption fees.

Got it. Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Hi, sorry I should explain - often it's easy to fall in to the trap of thinking everyone knows all the background!

In essence because taxes/fees/charges (mostly BA's carrier surcharge) are much higher exUS than exUK, so for a UK-US rtn you actually pay more booking two one ways than a return. Have a look at the worked example in this post to see the issue https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30255777-post965.html
Interesting. Is that the case in economy or WT+ as well as in CW?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikebg
Interesting. Is that the case in economy or WT+ as well as in CW?
For me, with an account pricing in euro:

Return V-class LHR-LAX 420.74 (where award space is offered to golds)

Two one-ways: 283.18 + 82.99

So, down the back, it's actually cheaper to do two one-ways - but that might at least partly be a quirk due to the location of my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.