Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Safe Connection Time Between Delta and BA at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K

Hello,

I booked a Delta flight from DTW-LHR that arrives at 6:50am on Friday. I also need to fly to Barcelona and am trying to determine what is a good amount of time to leave between the flight. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to clear customs and pick up luggage at Terminal 3?

For BA flights from LHR-BCN, does BA fly out of T3? I'm thinking of booking the 10:25 or 11:05 BA flight to BCN, but not sure if a 4hr window is enough to catch my flight.

Also, looking at Google Flight, BA is the only airline that offers direct flight to BCN?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You are on separate tickets with checked luggage. Separate tickets means that there is no connection and you are not protected for travel to BCN should you not show up for your flight on time (I think the cutoff time at LHR T3 for BCN is 45 minutes checked in luggage). You will need to get from T4 to T3 (a bit of a pain, see BA dashboard). Early morning arrivals at LHR can take a while to get through immigration. I would leave it to an early afternoon flight for less risk.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You will need to get from T4 to T3 (a bit of a pain, see BA dashboard)..
DL DTW is T3.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
BA Barcelona flights do leave from T3. They are the only one on this route

Assuming an on time arrival and conservatively an hour for baggage (Canadian citizens can now use egates so no delays there) then you should comfortably make check in for either flight.

Taking the later one will provide extra reassurance in the event of a delayed inbound, but obviously there are no guarantees
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Airprox
DL DTW is T3.
Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
If you purchase an Economy Plus ticket you get what is called Same Day Change, which means that you can change to any other BA flight from LHR to BCN for free on the same day provided that there is availability. If you purchase the 11.05 and realise that you can make the 10.25 you can just switch (up to 1 hour before departure), provided that seats are available on the 10.25. Also works the other way around if you are delayed leaving DTW.

Edit: Also applies to Club Europe tickets if you want to fly business class.
LCY8737, orbitmic and 4lB3R70 like this.

Last edited by Scandinavian traveler; Jul 22, 2019 at 8:20 am
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I would suggest you build in sufficient time for a late arriving DL flight. If the worst happens and you have a long wait in T3 before the BCN flight, assuming you are flying business class, you can do a OneWorld lounge crawl- an hour in each and 4 hours will pass quick time.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is all about risk tolerance. You, as the passenger, bear 100% of the risk because you will not be connecting. The question is how much the BA ticket costs and how much of a problem it is for you if there is poor weather, a mechanical issue or whatever else might happen, and you then have to purchase a new BA ticket.

Measure that against the cost differential to a slightly more expensive ticket on BA and then book the later BA flight, Presuming availability, you will be able to make the change/
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Of course, if you booked a later flight on a Plus fare, and were at the airport early enough to change it to an earlier one, that would mitigate the risk substantially.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You are on separate tickets with checked luggage. Separate tickets means that there is no connection and you are not protected for travel to BCN should you not show up for your flight on time (I think the cutoff time at LHR T3 for BCN is 45 minutes checked in luggage). You will need to get from T4 to T3 (a bit of a pain, see BA dashboard). Early morning arrivals at LHR can take a while to get through immigration. I would leave it to an early afternoon flight for less risk.
Probably bad wording on my end, but I do agree there is a risk booking separate tickets. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find flights to BCN on Delta with points on business class, so LHR it is! I've flown out of LHR before, but not into it, so not sure what to expect.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IntVic
I would suggest you build in sufficient time for a late arriving DL flight. If the worst happens and you have a long wait in T3 before the BCN flight, assuming you are flying business class, you can do a OneWorld lounge crawl- an hour in each and 4 hours will pass quick time.
Thanks! I do plan on booking a business class ticket. Do you know if the Club World lounge or the Premium Plaza lounge is better? Unfortunately, I'm not traveling alone this time, so I can't explore as much as I want in the airport.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:03 am

Can you do without bags?

If so, there would be no immigration or customs. You would have to do security, and then walk to gate. A fairly easy connection intra-T3.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC
The best OW T3 lounges are the Cathay lounge (opens at 5am), followed by the Qantas lounge (opens at 8am). With a T3 departure you're spoilt, don't even consider wasting your time by going to the BA or AA lounge. There is a long thread about this in the forum
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by plunet
The best OW T3 lounges are the Cathay lounge (opens at 5am), followed by the Qantas lounge (opens at 8am). With a T3 departure you're spoilt, don't even consider wasting your time by going to the BA or AA lounge. There is a long thread about this in the forum
Cathay Pacific lounge opens at 5.30am Tues-Sunday and 7.30am on a Monday.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Cathay Pacific lounge opens at 5.30am Tues-Sunday and 7.30am on a Monday.
Yep, 5.30am is right come to think about it. Didn't know about the layer opening on a Monday. Thanks for the correction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.