FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Waitrose snubs BA [Waterside store closing] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1979121-waitrose-snubs-ba-waterside-store-closing.html)

Physci Jul 19, 2019 12:43 am

Waitrose snubs BA [Waterside store closing]

Seems BA staff really do prefer M&S! (Waitrose have announced they are closing their store at BA HQ at Waterside)

https://waitrose.pressarea.com/press.../NEWS_13/11349

rockflyertalk Jul 19, 2019 12:47 am

Or perhaps staff are getting the M&S leftovers that passengers refuse to buy on board :D (one can hope)

Swanhunter Jul 19, 2019 12:51 am

M&S supply (much of) the BoB

An omen of BA no longer being a brand of choice for Middle England...I heard Lidl were taking the space? 😉

babats Jul 19, 2019 12:53 am

Well WaterWorld is due to be demolished when the new runway is built

rockflyertalk Jul 19, 2019 1:11 am

Originally Posted by babats (Post 31319623)
Well WaterWorld is due to be demolished when the new runway is built

...in 2046?! 😋

UKtravelbear Jul 19, 2019 1:24 am

Come off it. Hardly a snub.

if it isn’t making money then of course it’s going to close it down. Just like any business does.

And M&S supply BoB not Waitrose

13901 Jul 19, 2019 2:30 am

Weird! It’s always been well used by staff and the manager once told me they sold more sandwiches per square foot than any other shop... I guess it’s because of the reduction in staff at WTS. There’s now IB, AA, JAL, the IAG overlords and yet there’s still a lot of space.

muscat Jul 19, 2019 3:10 am

Hardly a snub to BA, more a case of survival of the fittest.
WAITROSE will shut three stores and offload a further four to rivals such as Lidl, putting 667 jobs at risk.
This is the grocer’s third wave of closures since the beginning of last year, bringing the total to 17, with the loss of almost 1,300 jobs. In an attempt to raise funds, the company will sell a Bromley store in south-east London, the Oadby site in Leicestershire, plus one in Wollaton, Nottinghamshire, to Lidl. The Sandhurst shop in Berkshire is being bought by an unnamed player. Waitrose is closing a further three sites this autumn in Marlow in Buckinghamshire, Stevenage in Hertfordshire and Waterside, near Heathrow. Staff will be relocated where possible, the business said.

PJSMITH0 Jul 19, 2019 3:31 am

Originally Posted by muscat (Post 31319821)
Hardly a snub to BA, more a case of survival of the fittest.

I agree thread title should read BA staff snub Waitrose. No body closes a profitable store

andimilk Jul 19, 2019 3:38 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 31319607)
Or perhaps staff are getting the M&S leftovers that passengers refuse to buy on board :D (one can hope)

Haha. As if there are leftovers! They seem to regularly run out of most stuff half way down the plane. Most recently they had run out of sandwiches and crisps before getting to me in my exit row seat in row 11! And there were 4 rows of CE pax who I assume were happy enough with their catering not to dig into the BoB selection.

Back on topic: I guess that with eateries available for food inside Waterside, there just weren't enough staff who would spend significant money there to make it profitable. Popping in the grab the odd pint of milk or a last minute dinner every now and again probably didn't cut it. As UKtravelbear says - not a snub just a business decision.

Dover2Golf Jul 19, 2019 3:42 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0 (Post 31319850)

I agree thread title should read BA staff snub Waitrose. No body closes a profitable store

Indeed - however rent hikes can make a very profitable store unprofitable and my understanding is that this is exactly what happened here, once again, BA got greedy and expected Waitrose to simply pay up but for Waitrose the numbers just did not work.

Oxon Flyer Jul 19, 2019 3:51 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31319684)
if it isn’t making money then of course it’s going to close it down. Just like any business does.

Perhaps the closure is more of a commentary on changing times at BA Waterside than at Waitrose ?

flipper118 Jul 19, 2019 3:54 am

Nothing like a misleading headline is there....

sigma421 Jul 19, 2019 4:17 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 31319773)
Weird! It’s always been well used by staff and the manager once told me they sold more sandwiches per square foot than any other shop... I guess it’s because of the reduction in staff at WTS. There’s now IB, AA, JAL, the IAG overlords and yet there’s still a lot of space.

This basically. BA has got rid of a lot of head office staff over the last few years so it's entirely possible that the numbers no longer add up.

hahaandy1 Jul 19, 2019 4:53 am

I'm slightly surprised, every time I've been in the Waterside Waitrose near lunch it's been packed and after about 2pm it's pretty tough to get a sandwich. Might be something else behind this.