Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Waitrose snubs BA [Waterside store closing]

Old Jul 19, 19, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Sirius Gold, Hertz PC, Amex Centurion

Seems BA staff really do prefer M&S! (Waitrose have announced they are closing their store at BA HQ at Waterside)

https://waitrose.pressarea.com/press.../NEWS_13/11349

Last edited by Physci; Jul 19, 19 at 1:31 am
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Or perhaps staff are getting the M&S leftovers that passengers refuse to buy on board (one can hope)
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

M&S supply (much of) the BoB

An omen of BA no longer being a brand of choice for Middle England...I heard Lidl were taking the space? 😉
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:53 am

Well WaterWorld is due to be demolished when the new runway is built
Old Jul 19, 19, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by babats View Post
Well WaterWorld is due to be demolished when the new runway is built
...in 2046?! 😋
Old Jul 19, 19, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Come off it. Hardly a snub.

if it isn’t making money then of course it’s going to close it down. Just like any business does.

And M&S supply BoB not Waitrose
nancypants, HIDDY, golfmad and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 2:30 am

Weird! Itís always been well used by staff and the manager once told me they sold more sandwiches per square foot than any other shop... I guess itís because of the reduction in staff at WTS. Thereís now IB, AA, JAL, the IAG overlords and yet thereís still a lot of space.
Old Jul 19, 19, 3:10 am

Hardly a snub to BA, more a case of survival of the fittest.
WAITROSE will shut three stores and offload a further four to rivals such as Lidl, putting 667 jobs at risk.
This is the grocer’s third wave of closures since the beginning of last year, bringing the total to 17, with the loss of almost 1,300 jobs. In an attempt to raise funds, the company will sell a Bromley store in south-east London, the Oadby site in Leicestershire, plus one in Wollaton, Nottinghamshire, to Lidl. The Sandhurst shop in Berkshire is being bought by an unnamed player. Waitrose is closing a further three sites this autumn in Marlow in Buckinghamshire, Stevenage in Hertfordshire and Waterside, near Heathrow. Staff will be relocated where possible, the business said.

nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 3:31 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by muscat View Post
Hardly a snub to BA, more a case of survival of the fittest.

I agree thread title should read BA staff snub Waitrose. No body closes a profitable store
argonath and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 3:38 am

Programs: BA/Accor/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk View Post
Or perhaps staff are getting the M&S leftovers that passengers refuse to buy on board (one can hope)
Haha. As if there are leftovers! They seem to regularly run out of most stuff half way down the plane. Most recently they had run out of sandwiches and crisps before getting to me in my exit row seat in row 11! And there were 4 rows of CE pax who I assume were happy enough with their catering not to dig into the BoB selection.

Back on topic: I guess that with eateries available for food inside Waterside, there just weren't enough staff who would spend significant money there to make it profitable. Popping in the grab the odd pint of milk or a last minute dinner every now and again probably didn't cut it. As UKtravelbear says - not a snub just a business decision.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 3:42 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0 View Post

I agree thread title should read BA staff snub Waitrose. No body closes a profitable store
Indeed - however rent hikes can make a very profitable store unprofitable and my understanding is that this is exactly what happened here, once again, BA got greedy and expected Waitrose to simply pay up but for Waitrose the numbers just did not work.
Oaxaca and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 3:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
if it isnít making money then of course itís going to close it down. Just like any business does.
Perhaps the closure is more of a commentary on changing times at BA Waterside than at Waitrose ?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 3:54 am

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Nothing like a misleading headline is there....
golfmad likes this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze, BD Blue :(, Le Club Accorhotels Silver, AF/NH Pleb
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Weird! Itís always been well used by staff and the manager once told me they sold more sandwiches per square foot than any other shop... I guess itís because of the reduction in staff at WTS. Thereís now IB, AA, JAL, the IAG overlords and yet thereís still a lot of space.
This basically. BA has got rid of a lot of head office staff over the last few years so it's entirely possible that the numbers no longer add up.
Old Jul 19, 19, 4:53 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
I'm slightly surprised, every time I've been in the Waterside Waitrose near lunch it's been packed and after about 2pm it's pretty tough to get a sandwich. Might be something else behind this.
NoY likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: