Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage delays LHR 18 July 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Baggage delays LHR 18 July 2019

There is a baggage issue at T5 today. Text messages are going out, but some bags will be delayed at least this Thursday.
We wish to advise that we are currently experiencing baggage system issues across our network. As a result there is a possibility that your baggage may be subject to delay in arriving with you at your destination. Should your baggage not be repatriated to you on arrival, please see a member of our team or please launch a missing bag claim online via ba.com. Please keep your receipts for any essential items that you may need to purchase in the time you’re without your bag.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Best part of one hour wait at F Wing this morning and not accepting bags until 3 hours before for long haul or 2 hours shorthaul. Lots of unhappy people.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Also received the text while waiting at DUB. I’m happy to be HBO today!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, IC Plat Elt, Hilton Diamond, QF silver
Just had the message from BA as a text and email. I’m flying MAH-LGW, is this just affecting LHR or is it a more widespread issue?

Thanks as always
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sualg
Just had the message from BA as a text and email. I’m flying MAH-LGW, is this just affecting LHR or is it a more widespread issue?

Thanks as always
I thought it was just a Terminal 5 issue
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sualg

Thanks as always
"baggage system issues across our network" (see OP) seems pretty clear that it's not just LHR.

Your message about a flight to LGW should have made that clear too!!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Friend arrived in TLS on a 10 days cycling trip; no luggage - now has to go 200kms and will be moving daily. How are they supposed to reunite him ?!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Friend arrived in TLS on a 10 days cycling trip; no luggage - now has to go 200kms and will be moving daily. How are they supposed to reunite him ?!
Probably on his return.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Backlog now cleared in the First wing but still Chaotic on main concourse of T5. Problem is with the baggage belts at T5 - apparently keep tripping out requiring bags to be manually lifted and sorted. Staff report a huge backlog of bags airside in the baggage system and that the belts are still intermittently tripping out.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
If the issues are across the network, then it must be a system issue no?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Problems "in LHR" and "across BA's network" is, to a first order approximation, the same thing.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
So is everything getting back to normal now?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Is this a pre-emptive strike by the baggage system machinery, in advance of the humans taking the day off next week? I think I'll go HBO...
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
This also neatly deals preemptively with any future posts querying why people see checking in bags as such a chore and why they would go to great lengths to go HBO. Maybe I'm unlucky, but this sort of nonsense always hapens to me when I check in bags (although I have not been affected by this latest issue).
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm just wondering: is this the first time that a network wide message has gone out to all BA travellers? If so, this ability to contact all passengers (subject to privacy policy etc) is interesting and useful if there is a big issue. I don't recall this in previous incidents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.