Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR - TPA / Change of Connecting Flight - Long Layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - TPA / Change of Connecting Flight - Long Layover

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
Ha, all of the above said, I just checked Expert Flyer and see that all window seats are occupied, I'm not giving up 62k on a 747 for a middle seat on a 777! Call me odd, but that makes all the difference to me, I hate not having a window.
Are you sure they are not just blocked seats? It may be worth doing a dummy booking while logged in to your account to check this. It is the case that CW on the refurbished 777s is quite a small cabin now.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Did a 3 hour connection in Miami late last year, and must say the AA First Lounge (or whatever it is called) was fantastic! A step up from Admiral club lounges. However. NOT 7 hours fantastic!
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by IntVic
Did a 3 hour connection in Miami late last year, and must say the AA First Lounge (or whatever it is called) was fantastic! A step up from Admiral club lounges. However. NOT 7 hours fantastic!
If anyone reads this and isn't clear, this is a reference to the Flagship Lounge at D30 in Miami. More information here. Not to be confused with the other Admirals Clubs or Premium Lounge.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Thanks again for all the responses, I did a dummy booking on the direct LGW / TPA flight and the window seats are definitely all taken, there aren't even any aisles on the window side left, it's only the inner aisles and I would rather spend 7 hours connecting in Miami than spending 9 hours on a flight without access to a window (we all have our quirks...).

I have potentially two further options - BA 209 gets into MIA at 18.05 and that would leave a 4-hour connection, which is more acceptable and has window availability both on the upper deck and downstairs, so I could probably move onto that flight instead.

Hopefully someone can give some advice about my potential second option - do you think BA would let me drop the MIA/TPA leg altogether while still honouring my return flight (flying back from MIA on 14th of October)? This is a leisure trip and I don't mind starting in MIA and doing the trip in reverse.

Thanks again and thanks for your patience!

Edit - direct flights from LGW to MCO are wide open, should I pursue that as an option? My final destination is the Crystal River area and the drive from Orlando wouldn't be much longer. Or is flying to Orlando to be avoided at all cost, ever? I have Global Entry, if that makes a difference. That was the last question, I promise! :-) Thanks!
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Inselhuepfer; Jul 17, 2019 at 4:28 pm Reason: Another option....
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anything nonstop is better than anything connecting. If you are headed to a place equidistant from TPA and MCO, I would take the MCO nonstop in a second. Especially if you have GE.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
Anything nonstop is better than anything connecting. If you are headed to a place equidistant from TPA and MCO, I would take the MCO nonstop in a second. Especially if you have GE.
Agreed. Although MCO is the pits.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by IntVic
Flagship Lounge - I ended up spending a good few hours there a couple of weeks ago and it's great.
The team at the desk don't seem as knowledgeable as the Admirals club did, but I guess that's a learning curve issue. (I had problems with flights being delayed and they were very reluctant to move me until the flight was actually announced as delayed eventhough the inbound aircraft was running late. It worked in the end and I got to my destination at a decent hour)
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
Edit - direct flights from LGW to MCO are wide open, should I pursue that as an option? My final destination is the Crystal River area and the drive from Orlando wouldn't be much longer. Or is flying to Orlando to be avoided at all cost, ever? I have Global Entry, if that makes a difference. That was the last question, I promise! :-) Thanks!
Yes, Orlando is a good airport and you save yourself a few hours of avoidable hassle. Obviously check the seat plan to see it is the newly refurbished 777s and the window seat situation. Usually TPA and MCO demand goes in tandem so it's a bit odd if there is a big difference, it's closely related to English and Scottish school holidays. Given the relatively relaxed pace at LGW I would say this should be a good overall experience. Since all 3 airports are under the 300 mile limit for changes, BA should be OK for you to change, however the usual rule is that only one involuntary change is allowed, so if you have already asked for one change, they may not entertain a second change.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
These drastically long routings always make me chuckle. BA have given you a great option to get you final destination, saving you hours and £s, which is great because direct was originally more expensive as you mentioned. Why in God’s name anyone would want to reroute via Dallas/Chicago/PHL etc etc is really beyond me, for the sake of a slightly different business class experience?

Couple of other points here.

1- BA usually flys an older 747 to MIA anyway that often doesn’t have the newer IFE. I think most of Gatwick’s 777s now have the new IFE and have been refreshed accordingly.

2- Just because there are no aisle or window seats showing doesn’t mean there won’t be for the TPA flight. Seats do open up for a variety of reasons closer to the date and I’d say you’ve got a fair shot at the airport of getting one if you haven’t done so already.

3- On top of forgoing a much quicker, easier way to get your destination, why would you bother connecting at one of these rubbish US airports where delayed domestic flights later in the day are as common as an over cooked steak on BA.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

Some of us have limited options to connect in LGW.

I am more than happy to route through, PHL,CLT or other airports that I can connect through. Couple of reasons really........

TPA is most convenient airport for me. Only direct flight ex UK is LGW, and BA don’t connect from my home airport, ABZ, to there. I have to fly to LHR, Pick up bags, then haul them to bus and go through entire bag drop, security palaver again and burn at least 5 hours in process.

My preference is I’d rather route via a connection in US that I can get directly to from LHR. In effect I swap a couple of hours in US F class for bus between LHR and LGW.

Secondly, I enjoy breaking the journey and getting off and stretching my legs after 6 hour hop across the pond.

Ive been doing this for years and have never misconnected once.

Different strokes, for different folks.

nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This is the seat map for the LGW-TPA flight on 3 October. I agree with the OP, chances of getting a window seat are slim and I don’t see those chances getting any better between now and the flight day. The only exception is that bassinet seat which may become available.

Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Anyone who choses to break their journey is fine in my book. Since, ozone is made to feel like a potential enemy of the state when you arrive at your break point. (I suppose that this is why it is fallen Homeland Security). I draw a line about doing this in the USA. Of course there are many places where there is no choice, but in Florida it can be avoided.

Unfortunately, a once great airline was merged with a dreadful one and although it says American on the door, it is US Airways indoors. The timetable changes constantly. It is driving their loyalists up the pole. I fly them domestically because of the tier points, but this March I tried Alaskan. Chalk and cheese. Lovely service from ground to arrival gate.

This is does not help your decision but frankly, go direct rather than 40:Tier Points for a domestic service probably without more than a drink and a bag of crisps for a flight of that duration.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:57 am
Suspended

TPA has one of the best CBP as a smaller airport. Virtually no wait in the CBP and all officers seems to be nicer. It beats MIA CBP by miles. I would take the non-stop option just for the speedy CBP clearance. I once went from the BA B777 to the tram to main terminal arrivals in 20 minutes.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Final update in this sad saga - I just re-booked myself onto the LGW - MCO direct service. The flight has window seats available and gets into MCO at 15.35. Hopefully with GE I won't be stuck in immigration hell. Never been to Orlando, never really wanted to go, but hey, it's all an experience and I'll be out of there next morning at the very latest. And at least I get my window seat!

Thank again for all the tips and opinions, as I said earlier, lots of food for thought. I hope AA sorts itself out, I have always had good experiences with them, to be honest (but to Pucci's point - I flew Alaska Air last year and agree, I thought they were very good!).
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
There must be therapy available to resolve the "window seat" obsession

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.