Wiki Posts
Search

KUL advice please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
KUL advice please

On Thursday evening, I'm flying BKI-KUL (that's Kota Kinabalu) on MH in business class, and have a four-hour layover before catching BA34 to LHR in First - four of us flying together as a family. I'm not a regular in Asia and would appreciate advice/knowledge on:

1) We are on separate locators for the two flights. Is it worth trying to get our bags through-checked (I'm GGL if that helps asking the favor), or is it easy to reclaim them domestically at KUL and head to the BA check in?

2) What's the best lounge/dining option at our disposal before the flight? Do regulars eat on the ground or in the air - take off being after 11pm, but still 13 hours to a 5.30am landing!?

3) Does anyone happen to know if there is an issue spending Malaysian currency in duty free at KUL? I don't know why there should be, but some countries are funny about accepting their own currency after going airside (Turkey, I think, for one).

Many thanks for any info
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by DominicB
On Thursday evening, I'm flying BKI-KUL (that's Kota Kinabalu) on MH in business class, and have a four-hour layover before catching BA34 to LHR in First - four of us flying together as a family. I'm not a regular in Asia and would appreciate advice/knowledge on:

1) We are on separate locators for the two flights. Is it worth trying to get our bags through-checked (I'm GGL if that helps asking the favor), or is it easy to reclaim them domestically at KUL and head to the BA check in?

2) What's the best lounge/dining option at our disposal before the flight? Do regulars eat on the ground or in the air - take off being after 11pm, but still 13 hours to a 5.30am landing!?

3) Does anyone happen to know if there is an issue spending Malaysian currency in duty free at KUL? I don't know why there should be, but some countries are funny about accepting their own currency after going airside (Turkey, I think, for one).

Many thanks for any info
1) MH will through check to OW on separate tickets (usually, it appears to be their written policy however as always it is possible someone might say no)
FAQ
Sarawak is in a bit of a strange spot in that you’ll potentially go through immigration departing BKI but also arrive in KUL as a domestic flight and have to go through Malaysian immigration again (it has been a while since i’ve done it so if this has changed I apologise in advance)

2) pass, someone else will know

3) I have never experienced any issues with this but as always, it is possible. There are many currency exchange booths airside if you get stuffed
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DominicB

Many thanks for any info
I eat in the Platinum Golden Lounge https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19779347-post5.html it has a separate dining area which is fairly decent and then jsut tend to have some drinks / cheese and bisuits on board
pythonisman likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
No problem spending RM in duty free.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:57 am

I flew BKI-KUL only a few weeks back, and as @nancypants correctly points out, Sarawak has its own immigration controls which are independent from 'Malaysian' immigration so you will pass through passport controls at both BKI and KUL but it was quiet quick.

MH will very likely tag your bag through to you KUL-LHR flight.

Personally, I would be eating on the ground - the MH F lounge is decent, particularly for the fresh laksa.

I hope you enjoyed Borneo - it is a truly fantastic place to visit.
nancypants and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:57 am
Suspended

You could have breakfast in the arrivals lounge if you want to sleep more prior to arriving, the smell of freshly prepared choice of Benedicts by the on board chef won’t wake you.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
You could have breakfast in the arrivals lounge if you want to sleep more prior to arriving, the smell of freshly prepared choice of Benedicts by the on board chef won’t wake you.
It will be the noise that will wake me - my elder son is called Benedict, and will doubtless resist being 'prepared'!

Seriously - this is all very helpful, and I'm most grateful. We passed through immigration at BKI coming here, and I was bemused, so doubtless it will happen again in the other direction!

Thank you, all
bosskh likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: QF WP
Veering off topic but it kind of interests me so...

basically Malaysia is a federation of states and territories. My understanding is the two states on Borneo (Sabah and Sarawak) joined later than the others and maintaining control of their own immigration was part of “the deal” for them to agree to join. Peninsular Malaysians can’t work in Sabah or Sarawak without a work permit either

(Incidentally I believe Singapore was part of the federation at one point but subsequently left)

/back on topic
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
We flew out of KUL in F a month ago. The separate dining area is nice, but there are some real “quirks” (and that’s being kind) to the lounge and airport.

Taxi to lounge took about an hour. Everything was painful; check-in, signage, security, passport control, transfer train... oh how we longed for TFW.

There’s little in the way of food in the main lounge, so head to the restaurant.

If you want a shower, there is no real queueing system. They come and fetch you from the lounge when it’s your go, only they wouldn’t come and fetch you from the sit down restaurant. I really had to put my foot down to tell them this was silly and please could one of the staff in the restaurant be given a call when it’s my turn. Eventually they agreed. They really need those little buzzer things.

There’s no wine list, although there is good wine. Asking what the “red” and “white” was seemed one step too far.

The food was excellent, we only had mains, as was the Rioja!

We had a full dinner on the plane - it’s such a long flight that there’s plenty of time to sleep afterwards. The food on board was really good. After about 7hrs good sleep, we had breakfast on board and then again in the arrivals lounge before heading to work. I’ve never felt so amazing after 13hrs on a plane; no jet lag at all.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
The restaurant in the lounge is nice but can get very busy - I had to go back to the lounge and be called when a table was free about 30 minutes later. So don't leave until too close to your flight to eat, as others have mentioned there isn't enough in the main lounge to count as dinner.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
You can order from the restaurant menu and have it served in the main lounge too - done that many times as it is more quiet. I quite like the F lounge as it has apron views and is generally pretty quiet. The food is usually quite good too.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:40 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
1) They should check it through at the origin, but even if they won’t, you can go to the transfer desk (located in the center of the terminal) and they’ll get it taken care of. Definitely don’t try and collect your bags yourself, the immigration queues can be very long (even with J/F fast pass).

2) I’ve only been to the Plaza Premium First lounge, but thought the food/drinks were decent.

3) No problem spending your leftover RM.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:43 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
MH Has in my own personal experience checked bags through on separate PNR'S. I came from Bali a couple of weeks ago and as it was a A330 we arrived at the same terminal as BA34 uses and transfer was a breeze. I ate the the MH first class lounge dining area and the food was lovely.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
You can order from the restaurant menu and have it served in the main lounge too - done that many times as it is more quiet. I quite like the F lounge as it has apron views and is generally pretty quiet. The food is usually quite good too.
Wish they'd told me that, I had to rush my meal after waiting for a table
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
1) On a sample size of 4, I've been told yes twice and no twice. Never any harm in asking. [Deleted possibly misleading comment about immigration].

2) Food on the ground is decent, but in F (or J for that matter) I would eat dinner on the plane and breakfast in the lounge after landing. This is not so much because of the mealtimes but because it'll help you stay awake as long as possible so that you don't get to sleep until 3 or 4 a.m. local time; with a 5 a.m. landing you want to "sleep in" and staying awake later on the flight will help with that.

3) Airport currency conversion rates are comparable to the best of what you'd get back in the UK so don't feel as though you need to get rid of your cash. I've never been in duty free and noticed any screaming bargains in KUL, either, but maybe you have something specific in mind.
RooseveltL and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.