Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booked Club World, now domestic A321. LHR-CAI-LHR. What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked Club World, now domestic A321. LHR-CAI-LHR. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:46 am

As this will be CE not CW then I wonder if EU261 would come into play?. What would BA's reaction to a request to stay in CAI until the next CW flight, at BA's expense of course?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
My advice would be to either

cancel n rebook in economy if desperate to fly on BA ( why pay business fares for an economy seat) or
cancel and rebook in business class on Egyptair
I second this, OP. Ask BA if you can cancel with a full refund (checking how much a ticket will cost you elsewhere first up, of course) - because what they're offering isn't acceptable to you. If refused, consider what would be deemed appropriate - I'd accept 75% of the ticket cost returned to accept continuing travel, but this is highly unlikely IMO.
The 32Q is BA's worst plane for business class - no middle table between CE seats. The mood will be poor on board, too, given those travelling who won't have taken note of the change prior to arrival.
These things do happen, and it's not an awfully long flight, but the airline seems to get off too lightly.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rapidex
As this will be CE not CW then I wonder if EU261 would come into play?. What would BA's reaction to a request to stay in CAI until the next CW flight, at BA's expense of course?
As far as class of service goes for EC261, it is still business class - I cannot imagine BA agreeing to pay such a ridiculous request. If holding a business class ticket, there is a decent chance that would be able to get aflight on Egyptair at a similar price ( from what I have seen ) , so why not just switch flights
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
According to the agent I spoke to the refund due will be "up to 75%," calculated after travel. He read this from an internal email sent to the call centre representatives. They couldn't give me any indication as to what it would be in my case.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I sympathize. I fly this route a few times a year and have had so far no such bad luck as the OP. Interestingly, I have a ticket in September, purchased in May, and just a week or so after buying the ticket, was notified that the flight would be operated by air Belgium. This option is a much better one, as Air Belgium has flat beds. Anyone has insight as to why BA would suddenly put a CE configured aircraft rather than doing a wet lease? Last minute and no wet lease available? QR aircraft would be also a better option.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
As far as class of service goes for EC261, it is still business class - I cannot imagine BA agreeing to pay such a ridiculous request. If holding a business class ticket, there is a decent chance that would be able to get aflight on Egyptair at a similar price ( from what I have seen ) , so why not just switch flights
Is it that ridiculous? An I-return to Cairo is £2058 compared to £508 for LCA (only 7% shorter); a big premium to cover a few hotel nights. The 75% looks reasonable too - if they are going by EU261 it's a bit "lucky" that CAI squeezes over the 3500km threshold by 1%!
Keystone likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by callum86
According to the agent I spoke to the refund due will be "up to 75%," calculated after travel. He read this from an internal email sent to the call centre representatives. They couldn't give me any indication as to what it would be in my case.
I take it then that it would permit a simple cancellation without penalty so that you could rebook elsewhere?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I sympathize. I fly this route a few times a year and have had so far no such bad luck as the OP. Interestingly, I have a ticket in September, purchased in May, and just a week or so after buying the ticket, was notified that the flight would be operated by air Belgium. This option is a much better one, as Air Belgium has flat beds. Anyone has insight as to why BA would suddenly put a CE configured aircraft rather than doing a wet lease? Last minute and no wet lease available? QR aircraft would be also a better option.
QR are not a European carrier so a wet lease is only available if no other option exists. As there are other European options these must be persued first.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
Originally Posted by BA6948
Apparently for 10 days, BA will place an A321NEO on the Cairo route... Details in the link below.
While we understand this due to the 787s issues, an A321NEO for that route is horrendous. I don't wanna be on those slimline seats at the back of the plane.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...n-cairo-route/
I was under the impression that all the 787's both 8's &9's were now in service other than 2 which are currently undergoing scheduled services, so I dont think this is down to the previous RR engine issues with the 787.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
I take it then that it would permit a simple cancellation without penalty so that you could rebook elsewhere?
They would allow a refund without penalty. My dates however are fixed and it isn't such a long flight that I thought it worth the bother to pursue this at short notice.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Royalscot
I was under the impression that all the 787's both 8's &9's were now in service other than 2 which are currently undergoing scheduled services, so I dont think this is down to the previous RR engine issues with the 787.
I'm not sure ZBJE is in scheduled maintenance. It's been at LHR for nine days now which wouldn't normally raise any eyebrows but it only started flying again in March after a year out with RR issues so maybe all is not well with the fix? I guess we'll know if it stays there much longer.

Apart from that, all the other 787s are operating normally at the moment.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by pauldb
Is it that ridiculous? An I-return to Cairo is £2058 compared to £508 for LCA (only 7% shorter); a big premium to cover a few hotel nights. The 75% looks reasonable too - if they are going by EU261 it's a bit "lucky" that CAI squeezes over the 3500km threshold by 1%!
Wonder whether it’s worth buying a I-return to LCA and combining end on end with a short hop to CAI on another airline. Do any connections match up reasonably?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by callum86

They would allow a refund without penalty. My dates however are fixed and it isn't such a long flight that I thought it worth the bother to pursue this at short notice.
How much did you spend and what fare is MS offering? still a non stop service and a proper business class service.

paying business class for what is economy with an empty seat - with some undefined refund amount - seems a poor choice
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
While I understand the theory of suggesting that the OP cancels and book afresh, it should be born in mind that this affects flights this coming week, in peak season, so fares will likely be very significantly higher than what passengers would have been offered at the time that many booked. Consequently, whilst the intention is good, it is quite possible that for many, the result would be financially counter-productive.
argonath likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:01 pm

This route is subject to seasonal demand factors, making it sometimes problematic. This is without adding aircraft maintenance or other issues to the mix. The OP is not being offered the A321 (with the throne club seats) but worse. Trouble is that there are few decent business class alternatives on this route for direct flights. Good luck, SkyTeam.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Jul 6, 2019 at 5:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.