Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Passenger goes beserk in Economy over seat recline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger goes beserk in Economy over seat recline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
A gentleman never reclines on short haul flights.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:46 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
This only applies to shorthaul (in long haul I always pay for extra legroom seats, normally exits).

I'm 6ft6. On shorthaul flights on BA (most of mine are BA) my legs physically stop the seat in front of me from being reclined. People try, but they can't. I get met with general reluctance from people rather than anger that i'm depriving them from doing something they are entitled to. I don't recline back if someone is behind me in return.

Just wonder what the FT consensus is here. Am I being selfish for merely being too tall?
Depends whether your legs really DO physically stop the seat reclining or whether YOU are physically stopping the seat with your legs. I think it is nice if people do ask and be considerate to the person behind in the way they recline. Physically using your legs to stop the seat is boorish.

Personally I never recline my seat. I remember on our honeymoon my wufe and I were sat behind an inconsiderate recliner who just whacked his seat back and I ended up with my lunch in my lap. He had just been moaning why I got fed when he didn't - because it was a Thomsun flight, I had paid for my wife and I to eat on our way to NAP.

I don't see any benefit in reclining - it doesn't give extra legroom.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Exactly this.

I reclined my seat yesterday and it went back all of two inches. Would be zero bother for those behind.
I take it this is a joke?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Do BA Cabin Crew have guidelines or training for adjudicating disputes between pax over recline rights? (I mean peaceful disputes obviously) Will they defend the person reclining and nicely tell the person behind bad luck? Or the opposite? Or does BA give them no help at all?

Probably mentioned somewhere in one of these long threads about reclining but I can’t find it.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:12 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Do BA Cabin Crew have guidelines or training for adjudicating disputes between pax over recline rights? (I mean peaceful disputes obviously) Will they defend the person reclining and nicely tell the person behind bad luck? Or the opposite? Or does BA give them no help at all?

Probably mentioned somewhere in one of these long threads about reclining but I can’t find it.
I suspect that the reaction would vary according to the behaviour of the combatants...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:17 am

This only applies to shorthaul (in long haul I always pay for extra legroom seats, normally exits).

I'm 6ft6. On shorthaul flights on BA (most of mine are BA) my legs physically stop the seat in front of me from being reclined. People try, but they can't. I get met with general reluctance from people rather than anger that i'm depriving them from doing something they are entitled to. I don't recline back if someone is behind me in return.

Just wonder what the FT consensus is here. Am I being selfish for merely being too tall?
Yes, if it’s passive aggressive and if it’s a conscious effort to prevent it because it doesn’t suit you.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
If I was the guy being assaulted, I would defended myself, and if in the process of defending myself I accidentally punched his lights out, that would be OK for me!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I do not recline during meals. The rest of the time I recline as I see fit. I do not ask the person behind me. If the person behind me makes a fuss the cabin crew will be notified. If the cabin crew does not respond I will take matters into my own hands.

I've seen BA cabin crew handle similar disputes and they always side with the recliner.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Awful experience for all concerned. I'd like to see all airlines remove the recline function on short haul planes but maintain it on long haul planes. On long haul flights, I think reclining should be seen as a standard component of enabling all passengers to enjoy a more comfortable experience, if they so choose.
… and BA has listened and at least if travelling economy, as long as you sit behind row 12 on an 320 NEO or 18 on a 321 NEO you won't be able to recline nor (one further row back) the passenger be able to recline on you.

As for me, I much prefer airlines which allow recline on all flights. My "short haul" flights may well be a flight landing at 2am in LCA or at 4am in TLV in connection with some long haul so I'm among those who appreciate the possibility to recline. On very short flights (say <2hrs) I typically never need to recline myself but don't mind others doing as I know people with various back conditions or flying patters may feel a lot better as a result.

If I recline I tend to hold the seat as I do to avoid it "falling" in an unexpected way on the person behind. I do not ask for authorisation to the person behind as I don't think I need it and it would be hypocritical to ask for permission as a matter of course. Very occasionally, the person behind asks me to put the seat back. In that case, I just deal with it on a "case by case" basis depending both on the reason mentioned (or lack thereof) and of how I feel. If I'm not too tired and the person behind is of dimensions that would likely make my recline uncomfortable, I may just say fine. If I feel shattered and the person behind is not asking nicely, I may just tell them that I'm afraid to say that I am just arriving from Australia, am really tired and just want to find a more comfortable position. In many other cases, I may either propose to swap seats especially if one has no one behind or say that I'll do it half way. It's basically the same as when people ask me to lower the blind (I am a window person and like looking out regularly), when things range from sure to no sorry via "ok I'm happy to lower it half way' or I'll move to the other side (or the next row is completely free if you want!). But again, those are my ways to do it, and the starting position is that reclining is a right so if others choose to be less accommodating I don't think they can be blamed for it, just like I always say "thank you" to cars that stop at zebra crossings to let me walk because I think it's nicer to do and easy but the fact remains that it is indeed for them to stop and the pedestrians to walk.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Yes, if it’s passive aggressive and if it’s a conscious effort to prevent it because it doesn’t suit you.
What if your feet can't touch the floor because your knees are jammed into the seatback in front of you?

I agree it could appear passive aggressive, but if there isn't a seat next to you free (or that person isn't with you) so you can't fold your legs elsewhere, it can be physically impossible to do anything else, and it actually prevents the seat in front of you being reclined, for which i'm glad.

I know that reclining can p*ss people off, but the reality is the majority of you are under 6ft4, so don't full appreciate the full issues that ever decreasing seat pitches cause. And i'm not even technically a giant...
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I hardly ever recline when flying short haul and certainly not when people are eating, but in long haul Y I do, after the meal service. I have never had any issues, although I echo the poster above that said they hold their seat, because some seats can fall quite abruptly, which can cause drinks to spill.

The bloke described by OP sounds like a real a*sehole and notwithstanding that the other chap did not want to press charges, it is this sort of behaviour that should result in a charge under general flight safety/endangering an aircraft laws, regardless of what the other chap wants. It seems as though there were enough other witnesses to this behaviour including the crew. He should at least have been arrested and taken for questioning- that might have sobered him up. It's dreadful behaviour and ordinarily I would be inclined to iron the bloke out, but of course in doing so you are making the situation worse and upsetting other passengers, so it achieves nothing, but all the more reason for the authorities to clamp down on it by bringing charges.
Sam Bee and tigertanaka like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler

" Karma will come back to bite this ‘person’ (to be so kind to her as to call her a person)"
I am often annoyed by children kicking seat baks, people non-stop pressing controls on the video screen on the back of my seat, and people in front of me reclining even when meals/drinks are served. I restrict the annoyance to myself and have learned a quick napping technique to doze off in a few seconds. In the dream world there are no back kicking children, no video screens, and no front passengers. I am always reclined! All my debts to Karma has been paid in full.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by V10
Not condoning his behaviour, but this is surely increasingly likely to happen as airlines squeeze more and more seats into already cramped cabins. I'm not quite 6 feet and still find economy seating to be uncomfortable.

Entitlement to recline sure, but I would politely suggest that it's only considerate to warn the person that you're reclining into first. It may just avoid kicking something off like this.
this is one of the only wishes I have about air travel - a small warning before an abrupt, immediate, and super rapid recline into my knees. It has never happened in 20+ years of flying. I don't have any hope that it ever will. I religiously don't recline even anyone is behind me. Whether one has the "right" or not is debatable and should be outside the context of this thread.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:22 am

I always have the same issue, knees physically jammed into the back of the seat, specifically at the same height as the tray table mechanism which is extruciating when someone rams it back.

Its normally resolved with a quick apology/discussion with the seat in front. When they see the issue themselves and that unless i sit legs spread apart impacting passengers to my side they are normally understanding.

That being said if they aren't a quick discussion with the crew has resolved it in my experience. I have either been moved to a different seat or swapped with a seatmate.
Sam Bee and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Average height of men is around 5'9'' hence why the airlines 'squeeze em in' as it makes flying cheaper for all. I have sympathy for very tall people however there are usually extra room seating options available if you're prepared to pay extra for them which seems fair enough to me.
Flexible preferences and NPF like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.