Wiki Posts
Search

Free seat selection at T-48?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Free seat selection at T-48?

I thought I knew all there was to know about free seat selection - Gold & Silver from time of booking, Bronze 7 days before, everyone else joins the free-for-all at OLCI.

But I'm managing a booking for my parents-in-law (both Blue), and I've just been able to select their seats for free 48 hours before the flight, before OLCI has opened. Is this new? Or a feature of BA Holidays? (This is a flight + hotel trip). Not sure if it makes a difference, but both legs are ET, one is a Q fare and the other is G.

The only reference I can find is this strange page that seems to have fallen down the back of the sofa on BA.com: "Semi-flexible fares (Plus) allow you to reserve seats for free from 48 hours before departure"

Except this isn't a semi-flexible fare, it was a bargain basement BA Holidays fare. And it's definitely 48 hours, because their return flight is still trying to charge me £13 for selection, but does say "Alternatively, you can book your seat for free from 48 hours before departure."

I'm not complaining, but can anybody explain this one?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus
I thought I knew all there was to know about free seat selection - Gold & Silver from time of booking, Bronze 7 days before, everyone else joins the free-for-all at OLCI.

But I'm managing a booking for my parents-in-law (both Blue), and I've just been able to select their seats for free 48 hours before the flight, before OLCI has opened. Is this new? Or a feature of BA Holidays? (This is a flight + hotel trip). Not sure if it makes a difference, but both legs are ET, one is a Q fare and the other is G.

The only reference I can find is this strange page that seems to have fallen down the back of the sofa on BA.com: "Semi-flexible fares (Plus) allow you to reserve seats for free from 48 hours before departure"

Except this isn't a semi-flexible fare, it was a bargain basement BA Holidays fare. And it's definitely 48 hours, because their return flight is still trying to charge me £13 for selection, but does say "Alternatively, you can book your seat for free from 48 hours before departure."

I'm not complaining, but can anybody explain this one?
Hi you get seat selection 48 hours in advance on all Plus fares, that is fares that include baggage on shorthaul.
Deltus and watersign like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba

Hi you get seat selection 48 hours in advance on all Plus fares, that is fares that include baggage on shorthaul.
Thanks - I hadn't seen that advertised anywhere. Every day is a school day!

Interesting that BA Holidays are now considered Plus fares though..
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:00 am

BA holidays have always included baggage so not HBO fares.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltus
Thanks - I hadn't seen that advertised anywhere. Every day is a school day!

Interesting that BA Holidays are now considered Plus fares though..
I’m interested in how exactly these were booked if you know.

On BA.com selecting the flights as standard flight-only selecting Plus fares, then adding hotel and car hire at the last step to make the booking into a Holiday does indeed seem to show Plus fares right through.

Starting off with a Flight+Hotel and Flight+Car booking at the beginning doesn’t show a Plus fare.

The difference in seat selection policy will be less important for most on here as they have status, but if they are booking as Plus fares the access to free Same Day Change will be very helpful.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcylocal
I’m interested in how exactly these were booked if you know.
Hmm, I should 'know' because it was me that booked it, although not 100% certain what I remember! I'm fairly sure I booked it as a BA Holiday right from the off, rather than picking the flights first, so that's interesting that they came out as Plus fares. Definitely something to be aware of next time then - I wonder if the price also changes if you start off with a Holiday vs add a hotel later on in the booking process.

But yes, as you say, not a topic often discussed on FT since these things are irrelevant with status, but I'm not on the booking with them this time!
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Can you imagine the uproar of BA Holidays booking into a fare class with no luggage allowance?!

I think the clue is that you're booking a BA Holiday so would expect to have a piece of luggage included.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
BA holidays have always included baggage so not HBO fares.
Yes but these were never "Plus" fares before - they didn't include free same day change last time I travelled on one. They didn't seem to use either "Basic" or "Plus" language - they were just normal fares that had a baggage allowance.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Can you imagine the uproar of BA Holidays booking into a fare class with no luggage allowance?!

I think the clue is that you're booking a BA Holiday so would expect to have a piece of luggage included.
Yes, but luggage allowance isn't necessarily aligned to seat selection privileges. If this is now standard for all BA Holidays, it's a change from a couple of years ago.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC
After years of booking BA holidays I can’t believe I never realised you could get free seat selection from T-48!!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:55 am

I noticed this earlier in the year and was as surprised as you. Interestingly I have an upcoming BA holiday and it still says check in 24 hours before flight. Will have to see what happens....
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Beergander
I noticed this earlier in the year and was as surprised as you. Interestingly I have an upcoming BA holiday and it still says check in 24 hours before flight. Will have to see what happens....
This is what I had always seen in the past and that’s why I assumed it was only free from 24 hours before. However, today I tried selecting my seat in manage my booking at T-48 (prior to OLCI opening) and it was free. Handy as I have a flight in 48 hours!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Smile

On a BA Holiday booking, Blue can select seats at 48 hours, but check-in is at 24 hours with everybody else
Anonba and Beergander like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:02 pm

Online check in remains at 24 hours before its just seat selection that is at 48 hours before.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:54 am

T-48 hours and free seat selection not available to this Blue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.