Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic

indeed. Given the history, it’s also quite possible that when regulators give the go ahead, if a new fatal accident occurs due to the fixes not being what they should be, victims’ families might consider this a case of negligence and invoke the personal criminal responsibility of those who have (whether technically or administratively) failed to protect the lives of their family members.

in my view, the stakes are that high.
That is also a live possibility in respect of the existing crashes already. As always in matters such as these, successful criminal prosecutions are no easy thing, but for sure there will be some people who have been involved in the Max to date who could *potentially* be subject to criminal charges as things stand.
Skipcool3 and orbitmic like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Shutting the line will put component suppliers into difficulties and it won’t be an easy job to re-start the line when and if things are resolved.
The engine failure containment issues may force this upon Boeing.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
That is also a live possibility in respect of the existing crashes already. As always in matters such as these, successful criminal prosecutions are no easy thing, but for sure there will be some people who have been involved in the Max to date who could *potentially* be subject to criminal charges as things stand.
Successful prosecutions probably made even more unlikely by the fact those responsible are still at the helm of the company and can make evidence disappear.

As echo’d by many others here, I won’t step foot on a MAX until it has had a clean record for a number of years. This whole episode and the behaviour of management in particular begs the question, what else don’t we know?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Absolutely. Maybe a better phrasing for what I meant is that invoking the criminal responsibility of the people involved is always a possibility with regards to the existing crashes already though conceivably something the people involve will see as a normal minimal risk attached to their job. By contrast, if those who decide to clear the Max for retaking the sky will know that this normal risk will now be quite significantly increased not only of being personally targeted in courts should new incidents occur but quite conceivably of being convicted given the "baggage" of the previous sets of accidents and subsequent ban and an overwhelming expectations that no new clearance could possibly be given unless every unreasonable risk has been excluded.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Indeed EASA and all the other national safety agencies will have to be happy before the MAX can fly on their register again. Previously, most agencies would have largely rubber stamped the FAA's decision to certify an aircraft for service, this seems far less likely now.

It may well be that the FAA say the MAX can fly again, but then EASA (and other agencies) will want to look, in forensic detail, at the MCAS fix and other issues that have arisen as a result. They may not be happy with the fix and demand additional measures.
The EASA, and other agencies, are already involved and working with Boeing and the FAA. The aim is to return the plane to service worldwide in one go if possible rather than have each area clearing it at different times.
There was an article on Bloomberg earlier this month that revealed the EASA have notified Boeing of an area of concern that hadn't previously been mentioned - the autopilot failing to disengage in certain emergencies. I'm sure, right now, the FAA will take advice from any credible agency before allowing the plane to fly again anywhere.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:22 am

I wonder how much of a passenger boycott there will actually be once the dust settles and the MAX starts flying again, especially if it's under a new new name. Sure, some (myself included) will try to avoid it when booking, but even then schedule changes could throw a spanner in the works.

I suspect that unless one or two newspapers (the DM?) get on the case and list airlines and routes flying the MAX, most passengers won't even know anything about the whole saga let alone what plane they are on.

Last edited by SteveF; Jul 31, 2019 at 8:59 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
I wonder how much of a passenger boycott there will actually be once the dust settles and the MAX starts flying again, especially if it's under a new new name. Sure, some (myself included) will try to avoid it when booking, but even then schedule changes could through a spanner in the works.

I suspect that unless one or two newspapers (the DM?) get on the case and list airlines and routes flying the MAX, most passengers won't even know anything about the whole saga let alone what plane they are on.
I think they do know about the saga. I remember the DC-10 incidents in 1979. People who weren't into aircraft knew about those, the bands Half Man Half Biscuit and Liliput even mentioned the aircraft in songs, and there was a lot less aviation in the media than there is now.
I don't know if DC-10 passenger numbers suffered at the time, I flew on one against my will in 1979 but I was only 10 and my parents insisted I got on the plane with them! Looking back on it my dad worked in the aviation industry and he was happy to get on it, or maybe he wasn't but didn't dare show that. It was at the time BA were leasing them from Air New Zealand and we were only on standby tickets so it was get on it or go home.
These days most people are a lot more aware. There will be a percentage of people who really don't care, even if they do know what plane they're getting on, but I wouldn't like to be the person who forecasts future passenger numbers for an airline that has the Max right now.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
Some pretty bleak news been given by Michael O’Leary this afternoon, saying up to 500 pilots could go.

So at an average of 5-7 crews per aircraft that would fit exactly in the ball park of the number of MAX’s they should have had, but won’t, by next summer. There should have been 50 but could be as little as 10.

That is an enormous backlog and the delays are only likely to increase.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by SHT88T
Some pretty bleak news been given by Michael O’Leary this afternoon, saying up to 500 pilots could go.

So at an average of 5-7 crews per aircraft that would fit exactly in the ball park of the number of MAX’s they should have had, but won’t, by next summer. There should have been 50 but could be as little as 10.

That is an enormous backlog and the delays are only likely to increase.
Whilat I have every sympathy for the pilots, it just goes to show that putting all of your eggs in a single basket is very risky.

lhrpete likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
O'Liary is whining again and threatening job losses because the MAX isn't flying. It's unbelievable the amount of objecting to the grounding of this dangerous aircraft he is doing.

Did he convince Walsh to buy it?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SHT88T
There are only so many times one should even acknowledge ill-educated toddlers who chronically throw their toys out of the pram...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Now it seems Walsh wants the design-flawed, dangerous plane delivered earlier:

https://airlinerwatch.com/british-ai...ially-planned/
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:58 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lhrpete

Oh dear. What an appalling decision and misplaced endorsement of a plane that had had to have so many kludges and bodges to make it fly because it is a warned over version of a twice warmed over plane from the 1960s.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by lhrpete

I can’t believe that WW continues to court bad PR by supporting this aircraft during its grounding.

I watched the Panorama programme “Boeing’s Killer Planes” and the way the CEO of Boeing refused to admit they were to blame - saying it was all part of a chain of events - was repellant. He should go to prison.
David_Doyle and orbitmic like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by SteveF
I wonder how much of a passenger boycott there will actually be once the dust settles and the MAX starts flying again, especially if it's under a new new name. Sure, some (myself included) will try to avoid it when booking, but even then schedule changes could throw a spanner in the works.

Very simple, set up a website called IsMyFlightOnAMAX.com (example) and then just have a simple flight number and date, and just pull all the data from FR24/other sources. Yes, no, maybe. Probably a decent way to get some publicity/ad rev when the max does indeed return to service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.