Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Well as someone with LGW as my home airport i'm far from pleased. Accepting it's currently only an LOI it immediately screams "safety isn't our concern aslong as the price is right" . I refused to fly on 787's until they could go 3 years without setting themselves on fire and as with others whilst I won't go so far as to say never I can't see it being any time soon and after they begin to be delivered.

I see the 'LGW getting new planes for once' thing differently in that WW was doubly cynical and thought it 'best to throw them at LGW coz there's no way our customers at LHR will accept it whereas we don't really have to care about the LGW crowd'.

Again as others have said BA's SH fleet has been geared towards AB for decades now so all the engineering, maintenance, pilots and crews are obviously geared that way which suggests he's gone for it because the price was more important that either his staff or his customers. The fact that the old saying has been changed and now reads "If it's Boeing, I'm NOT going" and the fact that literally no one in the industry could actually believe it at first just shows what a callous approach WW takes.
Sealink, orbitmic and MiraculousM like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by RobDBA
Assuming they have got a huge discount and a cast iron get out clause if the problems aren't solved, whats not to like about this?

If it's 4 years down the line its presumably 3 years until they would have to commit and by then the Max should have over 2 years clear flying, if it doesn't have a completely clear safety record and outlook at that point just bin the deal.

I'd rather they save money this way rather than some of the other ways they have/could find savings.
I am afraid that I fundamentally disagree with this.

IAG’s corporate behaviour is sending the message to Boeing that the way they have behaved is ok.

Sealink and alpenlupe like this.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Jun 18, 2019 at 1:34 pm
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:46 am

They have also announced the purchase of 8 A321XLR for Iberia and 6 for Aer Lingus, to be delivered from 2023.
N830MH and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If there is a risk of my ending up on it with BA, I'd actually start booking Easyjet ex-LGW* to avoid the inconvenience of having to offload myself from the flight upon discovering it is operated by Max.

I am intending to fully boycott this aircraft unless they fundamentally change the design (not just the software band aid).

(Besides that, I actually actively dislike 737s)

*Or more likely to fly ex-LHR and then connect to where-ever rather than flying out of LGW in the first place as it's a bit inconvenient anyway. I guess that means I'm more likely to be flying with Lufthansa Group given which way I'm heading, e.g. RHO)
completely agree with you, I won’t be stepping on this badly designed plane anytime soon! (remember trident Papa India with its tendency to deep stall?)
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
I don't care how great an aircraft WW believes the 737MAX to be, I'm not getting on one and that's that...
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Thumbs down

I'm with many of the posters before me -- I will avoid for multiple reasons.
Skipcool3 and Sealink like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Could this open more bucket / spade route options from LGW? Are there locations where the built in stairs and low body are more useful / cheaper to operate?

I imagine Boeing are throwing the optional additional AOA Sensors and Disagree Indicators in for free now.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I’m ignoring the MAX issues (plural) and just surprised that BA/IAG has decided to ‘diversify’ its s/h fleet with the crewing & maintenance aspects mentioned upthread. O’Leary made money by operating ONE single type/mark.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
I don't care how great an aircraft WW believes the 737MAX to be, I'm not getting on one and that's that...
I’m going to guess that all those who are saying this in this 2019 thread will - if indeed these aircraft are delivered from 2023 onwards - actually end up flying on them.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Trent900
The NEO is sold out for years. Boeing can delivery earlier.
And if you look around BFI these days, it's overrun with undelivered MAXs, even with a throttled-down production line in Renton. They've even taken over the employee parking lot across East Marginal Way. Priced to move.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If BA pilots are happy to fly it then I will as well.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:08 am

Whoever introduced Willie Walsh to Gordon Gekko’s “Greed is good” quote has really done us a massive dis-favour.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

completely agree with you, I won’t be stepping on this badly designed plane anytime soon! (remember trident Papa India with its tendency to deep stall?)
Is it only me that sees the irony here?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If BA pilots are happy to fly it then I will as well.
This is my stance too. (As a training pilot myself). It has come under so much scrutiny that once it returns it will possibly be the safest in the sky, Boeing won’t let anything through this time as there is too much pressure riding on it.

I disagree with lots above. The second it’s re-certified I will have no problem getting on one. (If you choose to avoid certain airline/aircraft combos for comfort that is one thing and understandable) But to avoid the 737 MAX on any airline you’d fly on I don’t understand.
HIDDY, Cap'n Benj and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
This is "only" a LOI presently; plenty can happen between now and 2023.

Part of me wonders if this is also a deliberate spoiler to fill up the MAX line before Ryanair and Norwegian jump in for top-ups.
Edina likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.